What's new

I miss dressing up!

I've only been out for doctor visits, some groceries.......this from someone who used to dress in ties on my last job, tho business casual (whatever that really means) was expected.

So now that I'm retired I wear a sports coat so much I really should just get rid of all my coats. I just don't wear them.

I've been only wearing nice shoes for awhile now. I'm officially an old fart now.

I liked your post, especially the part about wearing ties though business casual was expected. I and the CEO are the only two executives and the only males in our small organization. Despite the business casual atmosphere, even the CEO wears polo shirts and jeans, I always wear a dress shirt, trousers, sport jacket and tie. The only exception is in the dead of summer where I switch to short sleeve shirts and forgo the sport jacket and tie.

I know others in the office think I overdress but they are all younger and don't realize/appreciate the 'message' of professionalism sent by how you dress and carry yourself. There's nothing like projecting knowledge, confidence, and authority in a thoughtful and nurturing way to colleagues and clients.

Tim

I have to agree with the OP. I too miss getting dressed up. I've been more or less out of the daily suit attire since the beginning of 2017. In the financial services industry a suit and tie was the must have uniform. Back in 2007 or so I was hired to a top position at a boutique wealth management firm. I had bought a couple new suits for the occassion. I typically wore a dark suit, either navy blue or charcoal gray, solid or pinstripe, white shirt with french cuffs, a dashing tie and black cap toe oxfords or black tassle loafers. You know, banker style. One morning I was on my way into Manhattan for a client meeting and was in one of my new Navy suits, a white shirt with french cuffs and probably a nice smart tie with freshly shined cap toes. I was sitting in a Charbucks enjoying a morning coffee and all of a sudden a woman comes up to me and says "I just have to say you look really fantastic." I was stunned because that has never happened to me before. I smiled and said "Thank you so much." Now, I'm definitely not the suave debonnaire guy I wish I was who can think on his feet. What I should have followed that with was "Would you like to join me for a cup of coffee, tea, or me?" But no. I'm just an idiot. I'm also married with kid. So, yeah. Anyway, back to the point. She made me feel really good. And it was simply because I happened to be dressed nice that morning. I do miss that. But then again, I feel much more comfortable in the suit without a tie and the collar open.
Thanks for sharing. I know what you mean...there is nothing that can make a guy feel good as when a lady comments on how nice you look. It feel so great to get dressed up in nice clothes...makes a guy feel good....and to have someone comment is a bonus. As I said above....I miss dressing up...:pipe:

I have to agree with the OP. I too miss getting dressed up. I've been more or less out of the daily suit attire since the beginning of 2017. In the financial services industry a suit and tie was the must have uniform. Back in 2007 or so I was hired to a top position at a boutique wealth management firm. I had bought a couple new suits for the occassion. I typically wore a dark suit, either navy blue or charcoal gray, solid or pinstripe, white shirt with french cuffs, a dashing tie and black cap toe oxfords or black tassle loafers. You know, banker style. One morning I was on my way into Manhattan for a client meeting and was in one of my new Navy suits, a white shirt with french cuffs and probably a nice smart tie with freshly shined cap toes. I was sitting in a Charbucks enjoying a morning coffee and all of a sudden a woman comes up to me and says "I just have to say you look really fantastic." I was stunned because that has never happened to me before. I smiled and said "Thank you so much." Now, I'm definitely not the suave debonnaire guy I wish I was who can think on his feet. What I should have followed that with was "Would you like to join me for a cup of coffee, tea, or me?" But no. I'm just an idiot. I'm also married with kid. So, yeah. Anyway, back to the point. She made me feel really good. And it was simply because I happened to be dressed nice that morning. I do miss that. But then again, I feel much more comfortable in the suit without a tie and the collar open.
What no pocket square to complete the outfit?

I have used the lockdown to polish my 20+ dress shoes. Hope to stride with them sooner than later.
Have you ever checked out The Elegant Oxford YouTube channel or website? That guy can put an amazing shine on a pair of leather shoes. If you’ve not seen him check him out!

I have used the lockdown to polish my 20+ dress shoes. Hope to stride with them sooner than later.
Great idea! I should polish all my dress shoes as well (one of my favourite ways to pass the time. Pre-pandemic this was a Sunday weekly event...and I miss the smell of shoe polish). And organize my cuff links. And my white shirts could do with a hand wash and iron just to freshen them up a bit.

Last edited:
If by dressing up we mean paying for the cleaners/laundering, definitely not ;)

I used to be ~50 mins or so out the door to arriving at work, my commute to my computer is now - thanks an unnamed forum - is still the same due the fact I am spending 20+ minutes in front of the mirror attempting to do aforementioned forum activities !

Avi

What no pocket square to complete the outfit?

Nope. I find pocket squares to be just a bit too over the top. Plus, you never seen bankers wearing pocket squares. The only places I see pocket squares are at black tie events. At least the common practice that I've experienced in the NY metro area. It may be different elsewhere.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I liked your post, especially the part about wearing ties though business casual was expected. I and the CEO are the only two executives and the only males in our small organization. Despite the business casual atmosphere, even the CEO wears polo shirts and jeans, I always wear a dress shirt, trousers, sport jacket and tie. The only exception is in the dead of summer where I switch to short sleeve shirts and forgo the sport jacket and tie.

I know others in the office think I overdress but they are all younger and don't realize/appreciate the 'message' of professionalism sent by how you dress and carry yourself. There's nothing like projecting knowledge, confidence, and authority in a thoughtful and nurturing way to colleagues and clients.

Tim
Thanks. I was a nurse, so scrubs were always an option, but I always felt like I was in my pajamas! I got paid for being in pajamas! But EVERY opportunity I had to get dressed up I took. My last job I even out dressed the Doc I worked with, though he was a stud and looked better than I ever could when he was in just a polo and khakis!

It's funny: my son has been told by me that it is much better to be over dressed than under, and he has ALWAYS taken that to heart. He's 20 and beyond good looking. One of those kids I hated in hi skool I tell him all the time. Sitting around in sweats and messy hair: stud. Jeans and t shirt: stud. You get the picture. Should've taken him to Hollywood when he was little; I'd be retired rich right now!

The few times I interviewed young folks I was always shocked by the ones that came in ratty old clothes and slouched in the chair, no eye contact.

My son was Homeskooled, and we taught him a lot of common sense type things like how to behave in different situations.

He now comes home from work and tells us stories of how he has to train his superiors! Strange times my friends!

Nope. I find pocket squares to be just a bit too over the top. Plus, you never seen bankers wearing pocket squares. The only places I see pocket squares are at black tie events. At least the common practice that I've experienced in the NY metro area. It may be different elsewhere.
Here pocket squares (Chicago) are frequently worn to kick it up a notch with suit, blazer or sport jacket. Prince Charles always wears one usually with double breasted suit or blazer.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Yes. It occurred a couple weeks ago when I put on long pants for the first time since the lockdown.
It occured to me when I put on pants for the first time since lockdown!:pipe:

But I do miss dressing well, even, as others have said, just to go for coffee. All I can manage now is to be the best-dressed man in the supermarket, faceless behind a mask.

As for shining shoes, that's one of my favorite Zen-like pastimes. Oddly, I've not done much of it, though. It's a kind of quarantine-induced apathy, I guess.
Enough of this navel gazing. It's time to shave! :straight:

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My son was Homeskooled, and we taught him a lot of common sense type things like how to behave in different situations.

He now comes home from work and tells us stories of how he has to train his superiors! Strange times my friends!
Sounds like you really excelled at life's most important job!

I prefer to wear a pocket square. Adds a bit of color and interest especially when wearing a sport coat without a tie. It's all about color, balance, proportion, texture and how the eye perceives things. Restraint, my friends, restraint otherwise one will look like a clown.
I did check out The Elegant Oxford on you tube to watch his method of getting a mirror polish. Very quick method with much use isopropyl alcohol and ice. I usually refer to Kirby Allison's polishing tutorials as they are very instructive and he speaks to how to approach many different leathers and the whole shoe such as the importance of edge dressing to elevate the shine. I also have seen some videos of a Japanese gentleman completing an excellent polish using his bare fingers only. Very impressive result. He says by feeling the texture of the leather he knows exactly what the shoe needs in terms of mirror or high polish shine.

Because I have a few Zoom calls most days, I'm still dressing business casual. Today I'm wearing a Brook Brothers button down, slacks, and a pair of AE Macneils. It makes me feel more professional and gives me a sense of normalcy.

FarmerTan

Sounds like you really excelled at life's most important job!
Nope. My wife deserves ALL the credit in that department. I'm a bit more than a donor, but not much.

My philosophy was to stay out of her and God's way.

But I am proud of him. Started Kollege at 15, I didn't till 38 or 39!

I prefer to wear a pocket square. Adds a bit of color and interest especially when wearing a sport coat without a tie. It's all about color, balance, proportion, texture and how the eye perceives things. Restraint, my friends, restraint otherwise one will look like a clown.
I did check out The Elegant Oxford on you tube to watch his method of getting a mirror polish. Very quick method with much use isopropyl alcohol and ice. I usually refer to Kirby Allison's polishing tutorials as they are very instructive and he speaks to how to approach many different leathers and the whole shoe such as the importance of edge dressing to elevate the shine. I also have seen some videos of a Japanese gentleman completing an excellent polish using his bare fingers only. Very impressive result. He says by feeling the texture of the leather he knows exactly what the shoe needs in terms of mirror or high polish shine.
Actually Kirby has teamed up a few times to produce joint videos with Elegant Oxford

FarmerTan

The few times I have tried a pocket square I have "felt" out of place, which probably made me look out of place!

I can pull off a casual sports coat and jeans much better. Makes me look like a self important Kollege Perfesser, and since I am self important, I can pull it off!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
A fan of pocket squares here, but always tucked in a conservative puff. Trend now seems to be toward lapel pins, of which I have a few. But only one or the other--never both.

Top Bottom