What's new

I miss dressing up!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I recently bought 4 pairs of addidas pants.
One of them should have been white. (Flag)
I’m also told the kids have a term. Athleisure.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Anyone else remember fake pocket hankys? A suit would come back from the dry cleaners with what appeared to be a pocket hanky but when you lifted it out of the pocket you saw that it was 1/2 inch of fabric glued onto a card that had the cleaners' address and telephone number on it.
hanky.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Anyone else remember fake pocket hankys? A suit would come back from the dry cleaners with what appeared to be a pocket hanky but when you lifted it out of the pocket you saw that it was 1/2 inch of fabric glued onto a card that had the cleaners' address and telephone number on it.
View attachment 1226170
Great idea right up until you need to wipe the sweat from your brow.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I may not be dressed up by the standards of working in a big bank in a big city forty years ago, but I am dressing better...khakis, OCBDs, loafers. I miss ties. They are not uncomfortable if your shirts fit. On the subject of comfort, to me khakis are much more comfortable than jeans.

I still dress up sometimes, especially when I know I'm going to run into "her" :)

Braces, loafers, tie clip and square. I save cuff links and tie bars for very formal events.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I may not be dressed up by the standards of working in a big bank in a big city forty years ago, but I am dressing better...khakis, OCBDs, loafers.

That's all you need. Just make an effort and take pride in your appearance.

(IMHO "dressing better" is far more about getting the right item rather than "dressing up all fancy" ... more about, for example, having khakis that fit properly and are of correct length ... not floppy folds of excess fabric at the ankles or the wrong size. Buy quality, of the right size, and the right colour/pattern ... and you look a thousand times better than you would in an ill-fitting suit aimed at a 1950s big bank.)

I miss ties. They are not uncomfortable if your shirts fit

Absolutely. I think most complaints about ties are actually complaints about a too-small shirt collar.

On the subject of comfort, to me khakis are much more comfortable than jeans.

Actually, me too.

That's all you need. Just make an effort and take pride in your appearance.

(IMHO "dressing better" is far more about getting the right item rather than "dressing up all fancy" ... more about, for example, having khakis that fit properly and are of correct length ... not floppy folds of excess fabric at the ankles or the wrong size. Buy quality, of the right size, and the right colour/pattern ... and you look a thousand times better than you would in an ill-fitting suit aimed at a 1950s big bank.)

Absolutely. I think most complaints about ties are actually complaints about a too-small shirt collar.

Actually, me too.
Dressing properly really is all about fit. Whatever you think of Trump and Nader, they dress like they've never been taught how to wear a tie properly. It's comical and an extreme example of how to do it wrong! lol

Top Bottom