What's new

I Love the movies! Don't laugh: I JUST saw the Big Lebowski.

Haven't see the Big Lebowski yet. Just haven't gotten around to it. That being said, my favorite Coen movie is Brother, Where Art Thou?. They do seem to like using John Goodman in their movies though. He was in their first one, Raising Arizona.

Actually Blood Simple was their first film.

Cheers,
David

The Big Lebowski is my son's favorite movie. I like it too. The Kill Bill movies sucked. I could never get into them. I watched about 20 minutes and bailed. I like Tarantino's other movies though.

+1. Kill Bill 1 is kinda watchable, but the second part is a huge mistake. I almost got asleep.

The Big Lebowski was a great film. It’s been a while for me, so I think I’ll have to give it another watch.

Anybody like the Ladykillers? It’s not the best Coen film, but Tom Hanks alone is worth the watch.

I quite agree with you, Nikkuchan. It's a nice movie with some positive points, but nothing comparable to The Big Lebowski or the Hudsucker Proxy.

I assume you all know where I stand on TBL. :biggrin:

If you're a fan of the film and you go to YouTube and do a search for "Lebowski" and a certain word that begins with "F" and is said a lot in the film...you'll have a few minutes of great enjoyment.

**It is NOT Work or Family Friendly, so do it in safe confines**

The Big Lebowski was what I would call a perfect movie except for the scene with the landlord doing his shadow dance. I will just have to assume that my lack of sophistication prevented me from appreciating that part. I think I am out of my element there.

Otherwise I can't think of a single thing I would change. Am I wrong? Am I? (Don't answer that!)

I never saw anything of merit in this film at all. What exactly impresses people? I labored through it and promptly forgot it.

If you don't get it, you don't get it. Nothing to lose sleep over. I never enjoyed Eraserhead or Citizen Kane, many people do, and I'm OK with that.

My reason for enjoying is best summed up by The Stranger:

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there, the Dude, takin' her easy for all us sinners."

I never saw anything of merit in this film at all. What exactly impresses people? I labored through it and promptly forgot it.

I think the appeal is the fact that this jobless slacker who never has anything more stressful than bowling to deal with in his normal life gets pulled into a convoluted ransom scheme through a set of ridiculous circumstances. He just wants to be left alone and be lazy but ends up having a series of James Bond style adventures. He's so out of his element and so clueless about that fact that you can't help but laugh at the way he handles those situations.

I think the appeal is the fact that this jobless slacker who never has anything more stressful than bowling to deal with in his normal life gets pulled into a convoluted ransom scheme through a set of ridiculous circumstances. He just wants to be left alone and be lazy but ends up having a series of James Bond style adventures. He's so out of his element and so clueless about that fact that you can't help but laugh at the way he handles those situations.

+1
I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that the Coens had intended take a sort of formulaic film noir plot and mix it with crazy characters and unusual circumstance with the intent for hilarity. In fact, hilarity ensues.

It's just kind of a novel and frolicsome delight. The fact that pretty much every character is very idiosyncratic and/or way over the top really makes the movie. Even most of the minor characters are excellent. Seamus, The Cab Driver, The Cop in Malibu, Da Fino, Jesus Quintana, Donny, The Landlord, Jackie Treehorn, Brandt, Knox Harrington, Carl Hungus... LOL, oh man, I am cracking myself up thinking of how great each and every one of those characters are in their own right. It was a very talented cast throughout, and each actor nailed it, IMO.

+1
I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that the Coens had intended take a sort of formulaic film noir plot and mix it with crazy characters and unusual circumstance with the intent for hilarity. In fact, hilarity ensues.

It's just kind of a novel and frolicsome delight. The fact that pretty much every character is very idiosyncratic and/or way over the top really makes the movie. Even most of the minor characters are excellent. Seamus, The Cab Driver, The Cop in Malibu, Da Fino, Jesus Quintana, Donny, The Landlord, Jackie Treehorn, Brandt, Knox Harrington, Carl Hungus... LOL, oh man, I am cracking myself up thinking of how great each and every one of those characters are in their own right. It was a very talented cast throughout, and each actor nailed it, IMO.

For me, it had an essence of someone saying, "calm down" or "take it easy, it will be all right".

Quoting James Dean (Jim Stark) that "life...can be beautiful".

There is nothing really "deep" or particularly aiming to better you, or be all up ins with a message.

Its a bit like poetry should be? Does that make sense?

It has a rhythm, and does not ask a lot of you, and it does not promise anything, it does not try to be clever. The characters are off-beat, yes, and over the top, but the film does not try to sucker you, or condescend.

I hope that makes sense?

For me, it had an essence of someone saying, "calm down" or "take it easy, it will be all right".

There is nothing really "deep" or particularly aiming to better you, or be all up ins with a message.

It has a rhythm, and does not ask a lot of you, and it does not promise anything, it does not try to be clever. The characters are off-beat, yes, and over the top, but the film does not try to sucker you, or condescend.

I hope that makes sense?

You've nailed it.

I think it's like a piece of music -- something that can be experienced many times. No one says "Nah, I don't want to go to the concert. I've heard Beethoven's Eroica already."

And, as you say, it's not trying to make you a better person or sell you on anything.

I hope that makes sense?

Yes, makes absolute sense. Nicely said.

Actually Blood Simple was their first film.

Cheers,
David

...and their best. Fargo and OBWAT second and third respectively. I must agree, though, that I have enjoyed all of their films.

I actually think that NCFOM is their weakest. It tries so hard to have the McCarthy tone that it feels forced. The performances of the 3 male leads saved it and made it a good, not great, film.

Top Bottom