What's new

Hey, Dude! Just saw The Big Lebowski

Ah the benefits of working from home. Saw this post so I have the movie running on my second computer monitor now, while I work..

And Turtle , like your list, but HAS to include Young Frankenstein and Blues Brothers!

Love the movie as well. I've told my 5 and 3 year olds, "Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here," when their horsing around when I have my morning coffee. I LOVE the scene when The Dude picks up Walter to deliver the ringer. And the end when they are out at the cliffs (won't spoil it for those who have not seen it).

Well, I'll be "that" guy.

I kept hearing about how great it was, that I just had to watch it, so many references to it, which is why I eventually did, but it took me three attempts to finally get through it, I just kept getting bored with it... I tend to be open about movies and will watch and enjoy just about anything, and there's very few movies that I find completely pointless to watch, but this one is one of those.

I just don't find any appeal with it, it just dragged for me, forced overall, like the actors were ad-libbing it and didn't even really care to be there in the first place.

I can't even think of many movies that bored me to the level that this one does/did.

I kept hearing about how great it was, that I just had to watch it, so many references to it, which is why I eventually did, but it took me three attempts to finally get through it, I just kept getting bored with it... I tend to be open about movies and will watch and enjoy just about anything, and there's very few movies that I find completely pointless to watch, but this one is one of those.

I just don't find any appeal with it, it just dragged for me, forced overall, like the actors were ad-libbing it and didn't even really care to be there in the first place.

I can't even think of many movies that bored me to the level that this one does/did.

Hey, Man! Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion, man! The Dude abides, so don't sweat it, man... Your expectations were too high. Frankly it surprised me a little, and I was in the mood for this kind of show, so I really liked it.
You are not alone, though. Lot's of people did not like the movie when it first came out but apparently it grows on people over time, man! I brought proof... See below!

From the Wikipidia:

The Big Lebowski was a disappointment at the U.S. box office and received mixed reviews at the time of its release. Reviews have tended towards the positive over time and the film has become a cult favorite, noted for its idiosyncratic characters, dream sequences, unconventional dialogue, and eclectic soundtrack. In 2014, The Big Lebowski was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Naw, you ain't "that" guy. With the star power of Jeff Bridges, and others, I thought it was kinda lame...although funny in places. Kinda like Honeymoon in Vegas with James Caan, Nicolas Cage, and Sarah Jessica Parker...AND Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita). That one was real lame for the star power in that movie.

Maybe I need to watch the Dude again from the perspective of my college sociology classes when we had to watch movies and write papers on them. I'll watch it again and write a little five page review on it and post it here.

No offense to Price...I thought the Dude's character was cool. Nice attitude.

Best exchange in the entire movie, IMHO...

Let me tell you something, [censored]. You pull any of your crazy [censored] with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your [censored] and pull the [censored] trigger 'til it goes "click."

Jesus.

You said it, man. Nobody [censored] with the Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good, but I think the Cohens have had better comedies. O Brother Where Art Thou is a great film, and Raising Arizona has the most awesomely strange dialog that just works., not to mention Nicolas Cage's hair. I'd put Lebowski behind these two. It does has some great quotes and the Dude is a great character.. For some reason Jesus liking the bowling ball is one of the most memorable parts. I think it's cause it just caught me off guard. And Sam Elliot wins Best Mustache :)

Last edited:

That sounds like a post I'm likely to make after watching it.

I drank White Russians exclusively for a month after seeing that movie for the first time. Smoked a bunch of weed watching it the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time, too (it came out when I was in college).

I drank White Russians exclusively for a month after seeing that movie for the first time. Smoked a bunch of weed watching it the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time, too (it came out when I was in college).

Sometimes you gotta adhere to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep your my mind, you know.. limber.

Lot's of people did not like the movie when it first came out but apparently it grows on people over time,

As I said.. I tried three times to watch it to finally make it to the end... my kids watched it with me on that last time as they heard the hype about it too.

They simply looked at me, said "that's it?... we wasted 2 hours on this?"

So three times, and it didn't grow on me, and I still see it as a stoner boring movie... (which so many ranted about needing to be stoned to "get" it, something that I just don't care to do).

It just reminds me of a pretentious foreign film that has people just sitting and talking about nothing worth while... except it's placed in a white trash/hick scenario.

Top Bottom