What's new

I love the hawk v3 - is either the general v2 or vector really that much better?

Among ac type safety razors the favorites seem to come down most often to the general or vector among the good folks here. I have been using single edge razors exclusively for the last 4 months and among the bunch I find the razorock hawk v3 with a kai pink or proline to be my best performance razor. It's not as efficient as some other se razors I have tried, but I get great dfs to bbs results with little to no irritation. And generally my technique and lathering skills are both sub par. So I would say it is somewhat forgiving as well.

So, is the general or vector that much better? I know everyone is different and opinions will range widely, but if anyone has compared the hawk v3 to other ac razors I would love to hear those experiences.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If I ever decide to buy an SE razor, it's gonna be the Blackland Vector.

This YT video is pretty convincing:

This one demonstrates how NOT to shave - crazy pressure and scrapping over the same spot:

The razor looks amazing in both clips nonetheless.

Hope it helps 😀

I haven’t tried the others but the Vector is excellent. I’ve been using it all week with great results. It’s a very clever design. Highly maneuverable, efficient and ergonomic. All up a lovely razor. The blades are expensive but they last a while. I don’t think you can go wrong with this one.

06E112A5-6251-4DF1-B7FD-5B5DABF58A25.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven’t tried the others but the Vector is excellent. I’ve been using it all week with great results. It’s such a clever design. Highly maneuverable, efficient and ergonomic. It does its job quietly with not much in the way of audio feedback. All up a lovely razor.

View attachment 1159252
@Tomo how do you find that (awkward) rectangular thread screwing into the round hole? Would you say it's delicate / prone to damage if you're not extra careful? This is the one thing that gives me doubts. Sort of not feeling ditching out $300 on a blind buy, unless this is a truly spotless piece of gear.

Much obliged if you can comment on this!

@Tomo how do you find that (awkward) rectangular thread screwing into the round hole? Would you say it's delicate / prone to damage if you're not extra careful? This is the one thing that gives me doubts. Sort of not feeling ditching out $300 on a blind buy, unless this is a truly spotless piece of gear.

Much obliged if you can comment on this!
People often credit Blackland with coming up with this design but it’s a fairly coming detail in tap handles.

I’ve not been using the razor long term so can’t comment on long term durability. I’m careful not to cross thread it, the same as I am with all my three piece razors. Honestly I’ve never had an issue. The Vector lines itself up perfectly well on its own and the action is smooth without any play in the system. Theoretically I guess it would be less durable than a round thread but you would loose the thin head. It’s that thin head that really sets this razor apart. It gets in everywhere with ease and a BBS finish is childs play. It’s a cool design and a lot of fun. It’s like a squeegee for your face. There’s nothing else quite like it. If you don’t crank it down, I think it will last you a very long time.

People often credit Blackland with coming up with this design but it’s a fairly coming detail in tap handles.

I’ve not been using the razor long term so can’t comment on long term durability. I’m careful not to cross thread it, the same as I am with all my three piece razors. Honestly I’ve never had an issue. The Vector lines itself up perfectly well on its own and the action is smooth without any play in the system. Theoretically I guess it would be less durable than a round thread but you would loose the thin head. It’s that thin head that really sets this razor apart. It gets in everywhere with ease and a BBS finish is childs play. It’s a cool design and a lot of fun. It’s like a squeegee for your face. There’s nothing else quite like it. If you don’t crank it down, I think it will last you a very long time.
Hey thank you so much for a great input, I really appreciate it!

Based on the YT videos I've been watching, this is exactly what got me interested - the tiny, narrow head, which is almost as small as the AC blade itself. How ingenious.

This thing is growing on me, particularly as I so much like the Feather AC and Feather blades.

Maybe I'll surprise myself for Christmas 😊

I have used all three, Hawk V3, Blackland Vector and the Colonial General V2. My preference is with the General V2. YMMV, but I find the weight and maneuverability just right. The Vector requires some light pressure due to it’s decreased weight for a good shave. The Hawk V3 just wasn’t as efficient as the other two. As with any razor, personal preference is key. Only real advice I can give is you have to try the General and Vector to make your own conclusion.

I find both the General V2 and the Vector to be fantastic razors, in terms of shave quality, design and finish. I can't really decide which is the better, changing my opinion each time I swap from one to the other. You can see the Hawk V3 doesn't have quite the same level of finish, but then it's less expensive and still looks pretty good. I know I don't really need to try it out, but I might just have to.

I have used all three, Hawk V3, Blackland Vector and the Colonial General V2. My preference is with the General V2. YMMV, but I find the weight and maneuverability just right. The Vector requires some light pressure due to it’s decreased weight for a good shave. The Hawk V3 just wasn’t as efficient as the other two. As with any razor, personal preference is key. Only real advice I can give is you have to try the General and Vector to make your own conclusion.
I would like to try them all at some point. I was just curious for those that had tried them all if it was incremental improvement or substantial. The hawk v3 is beautiful, works well, and I got both straight bar and oc for basically $100. I have no problem spending more, but I want to make sure there is a return in value. The general is tempting though as a head only purchase. The vector being 3x more expensive is a tougher sell but I will probably go there at some point too.

Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom