What's new

I love Starbucks...

Teach me why I should hate it- from a product point of view- not the capitalism argument. I think Starbucks in store coffee is the best that is easily available to me...

I believe the correct term for what's wrong with Starbucks coffee is "scorched." They scorch their beans during the roasting process.

Having said that, not sure you should hate on them. As the McDonalds of espresso (and I mean that in a good way) they provide a known quantity in serving coffee almost anywhere in the world. And being so ubiquitous, they have educated the palates of so many people that scorched coffee has become the de facto standard against which millions of people now measure coffee. Add to all that the fact that they're happy to let you have a business meeting there, or work all day on a laptop, while providing generally excellent wifi, and I have a lot of friendly feelings toward Starbucks.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Teach me why I should hate it

Haters gonna hate ... don't be a hater.

A discriminating consumer who prefers a high quality product? Now, that's something to be!

Living in the Portland, Oregon area there are more coffee shops than gas stations

They way to determine what you're after is to try the other options out there.

Yes, you need to try other coffees to compare. No, I don't mean whatever's on offer at whatever place you happen to wander by (if I knew you were Canadian I'd say "at Tim Horton's" ...). You need to try somewhere "better" than Starbucks to see if you like the difference.

Not up to us to do that. It's all up to you but

Well, it's up to him to decide for himself, but it's up to us ... those of us with the coffee experience to comment well ... to guide him as to what the "problems" with the Starbucks product are ... such as ...

I believe the correct term for what's wrong with Starbucks coffee is "scorched." They scorch their beans during the roasting process.

I just like a plain cup of coffee black. As others have mentioned, Starbucks doesn't know how to make good black coffee. I haven't been to one in years and have no intention of going back.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

Teach me why I should hate it- from a product point of view- not the capitalism argument. I think Starbucks in store coffee is the best that is easily available to me...
I'm not a big coffee drinker. I consume one cup per day in the morning. I don't love Starbucks, but if you like the coffee there is no reason not to drink it that I know of.

There is a Starbucks in my building, so, being retired, it's almost inevitably become part of my morning ritual. Double iced espresso, cheese danish: life is good. I'm only a coffee geek when I am Italy, so Starbucks is fine, even though I refuse to call a short cup "tall."

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
There is a Starbucks in my building, so, being retired, it's almost inevitably become part of my morning ritual. Double iced espresso, cheese danish: life is good. I'm only a coffee geek when I am Italy, so Starbucks is fine, even though I refuse to call a short cup "tall."
I had a Starbucks within walking distance it would be part of my routine too. Can't lie. Any coffee shop for that matter.

Their coffee is pretty downright awful. Gives me heartburn every time. Not to mention their contribution to the diabetes and stretch mark epidemic with their frappuccinos that weigh in with an average calorie count around 500 calories and can have 80+ grams of sugar. If you have to cram 80 grams of sugar into it to make it consumable then it's probably crappy to begin with.

For me, French press is where it's at. I have two, one for hot coffee for me, and one for brewing my wife's iced coffee over night. If I'm on the run, RaceTrac coffee is a good second. It's cheap and the Columbian roast is passably good.

Last edited:
Nothing to hate about their coffee, but I think their marketing is better than their quality. I have gotten some good-to-decent Americanos and drip coffee made from their lighter roasts. I usually purchase one of those two drinks after finding that their regular drip is sometimes hard to drink due to over roasting and possibly getting a little stale.

From a capitalism point of view there is even less to hate on. I believe they treat their employees better than most retail shops and their stockholders have been rewarded with ever rising share prices. IMO their CEO (Howard Schultz) has lately gotten a little too political at times over the past couple of years, but he has built a very successful business.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It is xcellent for what it is. The franchise stores usually at hotels are not as good IMO. There is one of those close to me and the odds are high that there are grounds in the coffee and the made to order coffees taste bitter. I prefer smaller \ more local coffee roaster shops we have around. Do not like how some SB ask for my name for a simple cup of coffee. That corporate training bugs me. Like gave you shopped here before. Can I get your email etc. But that's another rant. Off topic.

Far from the best. The coffee by itself is subpar, and the sugar content is horrifying.

Additionally, free Wi-Fi is just plain wrong. Sure it's free, but at what cost?

The best coffee I ever get comes from places that lists it as just coffee.

I have many reasons to despise Starbucks! First their coffee is stale, it can take over 20 days for coffee to get from their roasters to the individual stores. It is stale within 9 days. In my opinion they also roast too dark, this damages the structure of the bean (really a seed) and makes the coffee degrade faster (making my first complaint even more critical).

I also can't stand the naming of the sizes, Grande, Tall, Venti, c'mon really!

The most irritating thing that Starbucks ever did in my opinion though, is that they purchased the Clover coffee maker, and the company that makes it, so no one can ever make me a decent cup of coffee with it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of your replies. I think everyone who is upset about how they name their sizes is silly - get over it. I'm not saying that I would have named them the same, but to hate a company over that is juvenile. I've ordered at SB plenty of times and told the barista "medium" before and had no issue or comments. I'm not a coffee expert, I drink all my coffee black. I cannot stand the taste of DD. I've consumed plenty of cheap coffee in the military and will choke it down. I've also had excellent cups of coffee at fancy restaurants, but I love the way SB tastes. I love the smell of the place (it smells likes sweats and coffee beans) - not sure how that smell can be hated.

I'm not defending SB in any way and I may be naive consumer, but I think the stuff is excellent and consistent. Maybe drinking cheap coffee black for a long time makes it taste better...

It IS overpriced- no arguing that. Again, thanks for the responses.

Fourbucks is fine, my wife buys their whole bean Caffe Verona, and Peet's Major Dickason most of all, solid daily drivers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I hate it because of how they name the different sizes of cups. They tell you nothing about how big they are. It's pretentious, and that downgrades my whole café experience.
I want to see a menu that lists milliliters and/or ounces.
I used to get upset about that, yet never got mad about ordering juevos y papas instead of eggs with potatoes or when I got cafe' con leche at the local Cuban place. A few years ago I realized I was causing stress in my life by getting annoyed by stupid stuff. I don't drink coffee often, and Starbucks even less. But if the want to call it vente, then so be it.

I am fortunate to have many local roasters in close proximity. I really don't know a great deal about coffee, but I know what I like and drink mostly for effect. The stuff I get from our local roasters just seems more smooth. I really like the aroma wafting in the store. It really seals the deal. I enjoy the cold brew from Starbucks served with ice during the warmer months. I always stop in on Veterans Day and cop a freebie at Starbucks.

I can't enjoy coffee on the go, it's like super a laxative to me..I do enjoy coffee at home..But I choose smaller local ( in state ) roaster of coffee, then that company..Even there tea, not cheap 2.50 for small cup ( last time I was in there) you can get tea from HI for cheaper.If brew it yourself..

Top Bottom