What's new

I love Starbucks...

I always ask for a "large" and get a big cup of coffee, but I am left unsure if I got what what I really wanted. I do not care what they call their cup sizes, but I think it is a bit pretentious of them to create new terms for something so basic.

I do not like milk or sugar in the same county with my coffee, so I can't comment on any of the coffee mixed drinks they sell, and I don't like the coffee when I get it in one of their stores (it tastes too sharp and burnt), but I simply can't make a better morning coffee than their pre-ground "breakfast blend." I love it. Everyday.

Over roasting is my biggest complaint, but many coffee shops use over roasted coffee beans. That used to be the way to get more flavor out of lower quality beans, but that being said, many people apparently prefer what I refer to as "burnt" coffee. It's all what you're used to. I have a coffee machine at home and brew my coffee the way I like it. My favorite beans are Black Cat Espresso from Intelligentsia Coffee and LaVazza from Italy (advertised as Italy's favorite coffee). Both are a medium roast coffee. In the end, your opinion is all that matters.

My university has a Starbucks, so I go there whenever I have gift cards. Due to its popularity, the line is usually 15-30 people long, and it can take a good 45 minutes to get your drink, but I don't mind this, because I usually have several hours to kill, in between classes. If I want coffee, I usually go elsewhere. Starbucks is great for Frappucinos. I just wish they were less expensive.

My university has a Starbucks, so I go there whenever I have gift cards. Due to its popularity, the line is usually 15-30 people long, and it can take a good 45 minutes to get your drink, but I don't mind this, because I usually have several hours to kill, in between classes. If I want coffee, I usually go elsewhere. Starbucks is great for Frappucinos. I just wish they were less expensive.

One recently opened up on Syracuse University also.

From what I understand (no first hand knowledge as I have never been in a starbucks).....

Their main offering is either iced, flavored, sweetened, and whipped OR the same but hot.

I've never had a cup of coffee from anywhere that I could not drink, given enough milk and sugar mixed in.

A few days ago I had some coffee at Chick-fil-a that came with their #1 special breakfast.

I was provided with liberal amounts of half and half, sugar, and even a selection of flavored additives.

I was able to get my cup to the point that I could consume all of it and without using any of the artificial flavorings. I did taste it before performing "surgery" and as coffee the way I normally drink it, it did not "tickle my fancy"

The paper cup said it was "single origin Costa Rica" but it did not taste like any Costa Rican coffee I have ever had in the past. I am now drinking some La Minta (Costa Rican) and there is no similarity between what I roasted and what was served to me for breakfast. I would even venture to speculate that theirs might not even be from the same planet, much less the same region or country as what I roasted a few days ago.

Typically I make it a point to never purchase coffee other than green/un-roasted beans. BUT... That's just "how I roll"

As is typical on internet forums..... YMMV....

I am not a fan. When they only offered one type of roast, I felt the coffee was roasted too much to the point it tasted and smelled burnt. Yuck. They now have a dark, medium and light roast offered and if I absolutely have to go to Starbucks, I'll order the medium roast, which is Pike Place. I don't have anything against the company. I'm in the real estate business and during a course on marketing, they provided us with a study that showed that small mom and pop coffee shops actually did better when a Starbucks opened. The rationale was that it would put the idea of coffee in a customer's mind and if they didn't like Starbucks, they would then go to the mom and pop. I'm not sure I totally believe that but they did offer statistics to support the argument. But I prefer to buy my own coffee beans, typically a dark roast, but not burnt like theirs, and grind them in a burr grinder (Baratza Virtuoso) set for french press and make my own. I also have a manual milk frother that uses a plunger to whip up the froth. I make awesome caffe au laits. And when I can afford it, I hope to buy a real expresso machine, probably a Lelit, and another burr grinder (Baratza Vario) that excels at grinding espresso beans. This way I won't have to keep changing the settings on the machines and worry about finding the right setting again. Set it and forget it. So, not a big fan of Starbucks and I don't tend to go there unless the person I am with really must go there or its the only option at the time.

Don't hate it nor do I love it. It serves the purpose of better than a gas station black coffee but when you don't have many (if any) options in the immediate area for "good coffee shops" they will do the trick. I like plain black coffee so I generally just get an Americano and on occasion I will have it topped with steamed milk.

There is one scenario where I do love the company or should I say the ease of their decent (to me) product/service. For work, I frequently travel internationally, I will generally run by the airport Starbucks and get a bag or two of course ground and carry with me to use in my Bodum travel press.

Are they the best, worst, somewhere in the middle? That is for you to decide for yourself. If you like their product, service, or whatever then by all means why would you stop liking it because myself or some other internet aficionado says so?

Like so many things these days image seems more important than quality. I do enjoy the atmosphere of a Starbucks as a place to sip a coffee on a rainy afternoon and read a book, magazine or newspaper. I don't find their baked goods very good. I generally get a double or triple espresso in a porcelain cup preheated with hot water.

Lately I prefer trying some of the no-name backstreet coffee shops. Some have nice character and good coffee and baked goods. Problem is...it's hard to buy a good cup of coffee when I make great coffee at home. I just prefer my home-made coffee. I often buy my ground espresso coffee beans from Starbucks.

Years ago coffee shops used to be places to go and socialize...now they are just places where people go to be alone...everyone is lost in their phones or laptops.

Like so many things these days image seems more important than quality. I do enjoy the atmosphere of a Starbucks as a place to sip a coffee on a rainy afternoon and read a book, magazine or newspaper. I don't find their baked goods very good. I generally get a double or triple espresso in a porcelain cup preheated with hot water.

It is a real shame they won't brew your own coffee. I did ask if they would brew me a double of some ground I had with me and they said it was not possible. I was even willing to pay the going retail rate to have some good coffee but not there.... Needless to say I thanked them cordially and left.

Lately I prefer trying some of the no-name backstreet coffee shops. Some have nice character and good coffee and baked goods. Problem is...it's hard to buy a good cup of coffee when I make great coffee at home. I just prefer my home-made coffee. I often buy my ground espresso coffee beans from Starbucks. Years ago coffee shops used to be places to go and socialize...now they are just places where people go to be alone...everyone is lost in their phones or laptops.

there are some outstanding coffee shops around here who server local roasted coffee There are a couple artisan roasters who run a retail shop at the front.

The coffee is fantastic but the atmosphere is mostly made up of the sound that laptop keystrokes make and the eerie glows from closely held cell phones. If it weren't for the background music, you'd be hard pressed to differentiate the coffee shop from the morgue.

Since I prefer dark roasted beans no matter the brand, the variety of dark roasts that Starbucks has falls into my wheelhouse of I like them a lot. I buy the whole bean pound bags, and grind it at home per pot, keeping the rest in an airtight container. I don't think it tastes any more "burnt" than any other brand of dark roast bean I have tried from various other places. Over all, their whole beans ground at home is my weekly goto for coffee.

As a proponent of capitalism, I admire Starbucks. I do hate their coffee. To me it tastes bitter, burned. And the prices! Can't wait till my next trip to NYC to grab a greatreat cup of coffee from a street vendor for about a buck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It is a real shame they won't brew your own coffee. I did ask if they would brew me a double of some ground I had with me and they said it was not possible. I was even willing to pay the going retail rate to have some good coffee but not there.... Needless to say I thanked them cordially and left.

I know. They pretty much told me the same thing when I asked if I could use their grinder as a wood chipper.

It wasn't that long ago that Starbucks was viewed as the Wal-Mart of coffee houses: ubiquitous to the point of squeezing out competitors. But I think that's unfair. Starbucks played a critical role in the development of a coffeehouse culture in the U.S., which was sorely lacking 20 years ago. They paved the way for Mom & Pop coffee houses rather than obliterating them. Now virtually every town in America has a coffee house, most of which are not Starbucks. That provides a culturally important "third space" for people to meet, after home and office. "Meeting for coffee" provides an alternative to "meeting for a drink." A lot of first dates are at coffee houses, and Starbucks paved that road.

Plus, they provide health insurance to all their employees, which I appreciate.

The Starbucks roast is what it is. I like the flavor, but I can see how some people would find it over-roasted.

Overpriced nasty ... coffee (least thats what they call it). I've had better at a 7 Eleven or a Denny's. That said that's OMHO.

Top Bottom