What's new

I like non-dense, floppy, low backbone, soft knots. Whose with me?

Good flow through is a must but luxuriously dense with nice backbone,
e.g. MF fan shaped blonde badger, that's my preference.:thumbup1:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I like all types of brushes, floppy ones included! If I had a brush like my BLK8 with tips as soft as Thater’s I would be very happy.

Not a fan of flop.

I like enough backbone that I'm still using the hair's tips and they're not flopped over laying parallel (like a mop) when I even up the lather by using paint strokes after working the lather on to my face by using a scrubbing motion.

I have a WCS silvertip that I think is Excessively floppy. It feels fragile to me which is why I don’t use it often and mostly with creams. It’s like mopping lather on with a giant cotton ball of my face. I’m afraid to scrub with it and only do painting strokes. Because it changes shave and direction with stroke it lacks any precision when applying lather.

is this the level of floppy and the characteristics you like? I’m very interested.

I have a Made-Rite 7650 which has absolutely no backbone. It is rather sparse from losing hair over the years (I can relate).
It works great for use with soft soaps.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I like the feeling of a brush being like a cloud on my face. Thater 3 Band, Shavemac Silvertip, Kent Silvertip... These brushes also happen to provide better lather for me with their flow through than more dense and scrubby knots, although I like those too.

I have come to the conclusion that I am simply a fan of synthetics, have had several different boar and badger set ups and just kept coming back to the synthetics. Some of my faves that I own are the PAA Atomic Rocket, AP Shave Co's 28mm and 30mm Synbad and Cashmere knots, and Razorock's Monster with plisson knot.

I am with you, I can get a killer lather with any of these brushes with any soap, how can you top that.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Plisson, Kent, Omega, Vulfix, and Mason-Pearson silvertips tend to exhibit the qualities you seek. A Zenith boar with a 65 or 70mm loft will also be 'floppy' in a good way. My personal favorite floppy boar bristle is a limited edition Omega Italian Tricolore boar made for the Razor & Brush FB group 7 or 8 years ago. Super fine bristle set at 65mm, it is very floppy. Omega has since put this handle into regular production, but I have no idea if they use the same thin bristle used for the R&B LE.

Plisson may have some great options for you!

(Take this with at least a grain of salt as my preferences run toward denser, scrubby badgers.)

Top Bottom