What's new

I like non-dense, floppy, low backbone, soft knots. Whose with me?

I got a Vulfix 2235S which is a 22mm knot but soft and I think that is related to loft; it splays quite well too so again loft related. Very gentle on the skin so ideal for those having sensitive skin; not that I have particularly sensitive skin.

I don't like floppy brushes because I don't like them for face lathering. However, I do like less dense, low backbone knots. Preferably with a 22mm knot size. They splay easily and don't hog the lather.

Floppy no but higher loft and medium density have there advantages. I’m looking at you Plisson #12. These brushes lather well, dry well and keep their lather on the knot not the handle. They also release lather readily to the face. Whilst I enjoy a Simpson Chubby they are messy little lather hogs that take days to dry out after use.

Some describe Plisson brushes like that, especially the HMW. But to me that misses the point. They aren’t dense, and the feel is soft. But floppy? No backbone? Not exactly. They tear through hard soap and do face lathering effortlessly. They’re just different. But you might like them. I sure do.

Just to follow up on what Chaucer wrote, that's how I feel about the SR 3122. It's a very soft brush with excellent flowthrough because it isn't especially dense. The bulb shape allows it to retain backbone and scrub, though, and it has no problem with hard soaps whatsoever.

How about silvertip knots by themselves? I have a specific handle, just need the knot. And fan / hybrid shape preferred. So far all I can find for 3 band fan knot only is shavemac...

Shavemac's 3-band silvertip is incredible. They make the Savile Row brushes (most people seem to think). I have had a couple of fans over the years and really liked them.

This is my very first shaving brush. I purchased in September of 1996 at Truefitt & Hill on 71 St. James Street in London after my first straight razor shave. I also purchased a bottle of their West Indian Limes AS splash (which has been discontinued). The brush has been retired for the past several years, but for the purposes of this thread I have decided to lather it up for old times' sake. The first pictures are of the brush dry. The second 2 are of the brush loaded (60 second load with Mike's Natural Barbershop). I started with a palm lather then finished off in the scuttle. I did not splay or mash this brush - it did that all on its own. This brush is the least dense, tallest lofted, floppiest brush I have, and after 24 years, it still makes a decent lather. All that said, I am not a fan of this kind of brush. YMMV.

Attachments

• IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 18

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have some brushes you'd like..

.AuctionBrushes.Bloomed.649.JPGVigShaving.Silvertip.AoS.640.5-18.JPGAoS.Badger.3-18.640.JPG

From right to left the increase in the qualities you like.

Not saying I much like any of them, but to each his own.

Happy shaves even if you use the wrong brush,

Jim

Although not a badger, I used one brush that fit your description to a T: Semogue 1800. Easily one of the most comfortable brushes i've ever used. My biggest gripe was the amount of time it took me to make a decent lather with it, easily 5 times longer than any synthetic brush, and 2 times longer as any boar I tried. I would love to find a synthetic that feels just like it but that unicorn probably does not exist, just yet. So although I love the way a brush of your description feels, I favor the performance......until something else comes along that does it all!

If you are OK with a synthetic, the Motherlode knot matches the qualities you describe. It is ridiculously soft but will win no backbone awards. Flow-through is terrific. It retains water better than other synths and lathers like a demon.

Also vintage badgers with very few exceptions tend towards being floppy and only the lowest end of the low aren't soft.

High end 750 and 1000 everready and high-lofted Simpson are good choices and can be found fairly often. Also basically anything where the knot looks big and beautiful but you don’t know the maker is a good bet.

To me, "floppy" is more severe than "splays easily".

I think all floppy brushes will splay easily. But add just a little more backbone, and a knot may no longer be floppy, but may still be considered to "splay easily". I have some Finest badgers like that, though I have to mount then high to keep then easy to splay.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

100% agreed.

I prefer brushes that splay without too much resistance but with enough backbone to feel like it's enveloping the face and giving a gentle scrub.

Top Bottom