What's new

I Like Big Brushes And I Can Not Lie

I’ve been on a bit of a brush acquisition tangent as of late. I have 6 or less brushes, lol. I did use only one brush for 10 years or so. I shave my head and face. This tangent started with me wanting to try some of the big British badgers, Simpson Chubby 2 Best, Kent BK 12 and a Chubby 3 Best. As I acquired each brush I gave them a 2 week daily shaving run and then a week at a time. The Chubby 3 is the one I like best and I find myself wanting to use it when a different brush is in rotation. I bowl lather and my routine is to lather my head and face by painting on the lather, shave my head, re-lather my face and shave wtg, lather my face a third time and shave atg. There is plenty of lather leftover. TOBS Eton College shave cream works well for me. I have had minimal shedding and a luxurious shave experience. The Chubby 3 is a lather hog but that’s ok with me.

My solution to this Chubby 3 Best dilemma is to purchase a second one! I’m a bit of a traditionalist so the ivory handle and design aesthetics are very appealing to me. The Superior Shave is currently having a Sale on Simpson which matches the prices on Amazon so I purchased from Superior Shave to support a small business.

Happy shaves my friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Superior Shave is currently having a Sale on Simpson which matches the prices on Amazon so I purchased from Superior Shave to support a small business.

I've had 8 Simpsons and other than the time I purchased direct from Mark at Simpson, Superior was my favorite Simpson vendor. Other than 1 blade purchase from Amazon, all my shave supplies have come from vendors or fellow members. My wife and I have bought a lot of stuff off Amazon in the last 20 years, but I don't trust them for my shave supplies.

I currently have 9 brushes, but my biggest brush is "only" a Thater 26mm 2-band. Because of the tight bulb of any Thater, on the face it feels about the size of a 24mm in any other brand. I just don't have enough face for anything bigger.

Of course there is something to be said for Semogue 2000, SOC, Proraso, Omega 48, 49, Zenith, Mondial big boars. These piggies start at about ten bucks and after a few uses break in.

Enjoy your shaves!

Way back when I started ca. 2008, C&E had a rebranded Edwin Jagger "Super Badger," in an XL size, a huge, plush, soft brush that I used daily for months. It was simply excellent. I understand the appeal of large badgers and have enjoyed some, but oddly my tastes these days are headed toward the opposite pole, with 24mm synthetics being just right. I have an itch to try a 22mm faux horse from APShaveCo, in fact, given how much I'm enjoying the precise lather placement of these smaller knots.

Go for a Polo 10 for sure, and look at the monster Vulfixes. Huge, pillowy badger knots.

Welcome to B&B, Sir DavidU!!

There are so many large brush options!!

Enjoy your journey!!

silvertips sep 2013-comp.jpg

I like big brushes as well. I do not like anything smaller than 24mm and 26 mm seems to be the sweet spot for me. Today, I just picked up one of the Maggard Razors 28mm super high density bulb knots with compatible handle. I know that big knots are soap killers, but that is OK by me. I like producing enough lather for 4-5 passes. Even after I complete my shave, I relather my face and leave the lather on to help condition my skin while I am cleaning up my brush and other tools. Only then do I remove the lather from my face.

Can someone tell me how a $ 160 Simpson Chubby is better than my $ 29 , Silvertip like this?
Any help will be appreciated.
badger.jpg

I see there is a Simpson Polo 14! That is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huge knots and long ergonomic handles that make you reach easily everywhere on your head without effort. I have the Polo 8 and it feels bigger in the hand than Omega Pro 48. I can't imagine PL14 heft. I'd lather it in the bathtub.

Can someone tell me how a $ 160 Simpson Chubby is better than my $ 29 , Silvertip like this?
Any help will be appreciated.
View attachment 986167

Handle is resin and knot is packed with hair denser. Take 8 of those silvertips, pack them in one handle and you get a Chubby. Other than that there's no big material difference. Price hike is due to cost of hand vs machine manufacturing, cost of business in UK vs China, brand name/heritage, dealer network, customer support.

Ace shaving is a warehouse in China selling directly on ebay. If they upped their operation to the level of Vulfix or Shavemac, relocate to Europe, run their website store, supply dealers etc. not to mention exist 100 years, surviving nazi bombing, it won't cost $16.

Handle is resin and knot is packed with hair denser. Take 8 of those silvertips, pack them in one handle and you get a Chubby. Other than that there's no big material difference. Price hike is due to cost of hand vs machine manufacturing, cost of business in UK vs China, brand name/heritage, dealer network, customer support.

Ace shaving is a warehouse in China selling directly on ebay. If they upped their operation to the level of Vulfix or Shavemac, relocate to Europe, run their website store, supply dealers etc. not to mention exist 100 years, surviving nazi bombing, it won't cost $16.

The question was: Is it that much better?
I use one like the one in the picture and it works perfectly.
I've been wet shaving for over 50 years and I'm happy with what I have ,but I don't mind buying a Chubby if is that much better

The question was: Is it that much better?
I use one like the one in the picture and it works perfectly.
I've been wet shaving for over 50 years and I'm happy with what I have ,but I don't mind buying a Chubby if is that much better

Better by how much depends on personal preferences. If you're a brush guy you tend to exaggerate nuanced differences. Some consider a Chubby 2 in Best garbage they wouldn't use on their porcelain boomer faces. Some think it's the best thing ever.

Top Bottom