What's new

I Like Big Brushes And I Can Not Lie

@Basil was interested in some comparison pictures of the Chubbies 2 and 3. Both are Best Badger. I thought that some of the other members may also have an interest.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CH3 seems packed with hair closer to Super. Softer grades bloom more. A Cadillac brush.

However, that CH2 will be the bigger hard soap destroyer.

Can someone tell me how a $ 160 Simpson Chubby is better than my $ 29 , Silvertip like this?
Any help will be appreciated.
View attachment 986167

For me, the difference between a high end and non-premium brush is far more noticeable than the difference between high end and non-premium razors. Face feel and shave wise, my Timeless, though a stainless work of art, doesn’t have much over my Progress long handle. The Chubby 3 over my 30 mm Maseto on the other hand is like the difference between a Rolls Royce and a Cadillac. I’m not dunking on the Maseto, at all, it’s a great brush. But the Chubby oozes quality in handle feel and the higher quality hair and greater density truly creates an unparalleled lathering experience. YMMV of course.

The question was: Is it that much better?
I use one like the one in the picture and it works perfectly.
I've been wet shaving for over 50 years and I'm happy with what I have ,but I don't mind buying a Chubby if is that much better
The only one that is going to know if a Simpson Chubby is that much better for you... is you!

I have 2 badger Simpsons: 1) older Special, 19mm knot 2) Duke 3, 23mm knot. I find that the shorter Simpson Special has more backbone and I use it with harder soaps (MWF). I love the larger Duke and it works great (better than the shorter brush) with my creams (T&H).
Getting ready to look up a knot that is 28mm to 30mm but would like a good backbone.

Any experience with a real large knot?

I have 2 badger Simpsons: 1) older Special, 19mm knot 2) Duke 3, 23mm knot. I find that the shorter Simpson Special has more backbone and I use it with harder soaps (MWF). I love the larger Duke and it works great (better than the shorter brush) with my creams (T&H).
Getting ready to look up a knot that is 28mm to 30mm but would like a good backbone.

Any experience with a real large knot?

I recently got the Chubby 2 in Best and boy this thing can dig into drywall. There's x3 Duke 3 knots packed in that handle, plus the bulb shape gives even more backbone. I also find the handle easier to hold than the Duke 3 for my hands.

The Boars are Big
The Badgers are Big
The Horses are Big
The Man Made are Big
The bigger the brush the bigger the lather.
Welcome.

Even for me, that’s a big one. To put this in perspective, the PL 10 is the size of a coke can. The 14 is an inch taller.

I imagine it’s something like the Kent BK 12, no? I have a BK 12 but prefer the Chubby 3 as an every day driver.

How is ch2 more of a soap killer than ch3?

I always thought the same - as I have had ch2 in the past but now I use ch3 and other brushes.

I was referring to those two particular brushes on the photo. CH2 is less soft and in a more tight configuration that will act denser. It will dig into hard soap better IMO.

I did get and put to use my second Chubby 3. I love it! I have not experienced any shedding issues with my Simpsons or my Kent BK 12. Here is a couple of family photos.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom