What's new

I Just Ordered A Bunch Of Shaving Supplies - Opinions?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I figure after a few uses the slight residual aroma of diesel fuel will have dissipated.:001_smile

Some woman want a real man, that scent will give them something to home in on. Beep beep, we got a live one ladies, caught the man on the radar scanner. Oh, whats his smell indicators? Testostorone, Desert Vetiver, diesel fuel, and kerosene. Thats a real man ladies, time to pick him up. All the sudden the ladies point at you, and you realize, the ladies who are after you, are the Stepford Wives!

nicole kidman film GIF

She's giving you the look alright. Better run, cause she's got a lot in that cart, who knows what shes planning for you.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello everyone, welcome welcome welcome, glad to see ya, happy to have ya. So, after a 11-hour power outage, I have returned from the brink of going out of my mind, to deliver you juicy pictures, of all the gear I bought!

Lets begin with Bullgoose Shaving....

Furbo Vintage Blue aftershave & shave soap!

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

So about that shave soap, hmm, I think its more of a
croap if I'm being honest, too soft to be a soap. Both
the soap and aftershave smell awesome!

Don't forget the Kai blades! Ooooo, what a sampler.

IMG_6039.JPG

Now lets move onto the supplies from Stirling...

Stirling Christmas Eve shave soap!

proxy.php

This shave soap smells amazing. I can detect the
smell of pine, but its not overpowering like Coniferous.
I am not quite detecting the scent of cookies this is
supposed to have. But I know from experience, lots
of soaps have to be bloomed into a lather, to smell
all the scents, in the palette. So far thumbs up though!

Stirling Glacial Candy Cane aftershave
splash with extra menthol!

proxy.php

This smells exactly like the shave soap I have, its a
mix of peppermint, and chocolate. Yummy!

Stirling Wintergreen Glacial Witch Hazel!

proxy.php

Smells just like my Wintergreen shave soap and
aftershave. As expected, the scent is a little weaker
because its witch hazel. I am hoping that I love
this one more then Thayers!

Stirling Kenya Dark Roast Espresso!

proxy.php

This stuff is delicious every single time I
drink it. If your looking for a dark roast
espresso, that combines the boldness of
a dark roast, but also maintains the nutty
berry flavor of a lighter roast, then
this is the coffee for you. So good!

Drakkar Noir EDT!

proxy.php

This cologne is famous, was a huge hit in
the 80's, right alongside Davidoff's
Cool Water. Because this is a Christmas
gift for a family member, I am not unboxing it.​

Honorable mention...

Bullgoose Shaving wanted to thank me for my order. So they also sent me a pack of Jelly Belly's. I've ate Jelly Beans before, but I've never had Jelly Belly's I don't think. They look like they are the shape of kidney's, kind of a weird shape to choose for a candy but ok. Taste wise, holy molly! Each Jelly Belly, is a distinct flavor of their own, and the flavor is richly strong. So if your into that sort of thing, as far as candies go, well, you scientific mouth, may enjoy rating each one, as you go.

proxy.php

Continued in the next post...........................................

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

You know that saying, you get what you pay for? If you buy cheap 20 buckaroo kettles, your gonna get a plastic exposed element, very bad for your health, electric kettle. If you buy better 60 buckaroo stainless kettles with non-exposed elements, your going to get a better kettle, that is both better to use, and better for your health. But it may lack fancier features, that provide the feeling of luxury. Today, I am happy to report, that I received my fancier kettle, which is literally the best one I've ever bought thus far.

Lets have a look at the box...

proxy.php

This box is nice, because it shows the kettle that you are buying, and the features of it, listed right on the box, so you don't have to necessarily go searching for the manual. It is lovely that the kettle has IQ, so as long as one doesn't need a NASA grade IQ to operate it. lol Breville is a known brand in the coffee and tea space, you can't go wrong with Breville.

proxy.php

Unlike cheap kettles that feel paper thin, this unit actually has some weight to it, and it feels really good in the hand. Its got a nice handle on it, a site glass window on the top, as well as two fluid level windows, on the front and back. Notice Breville's logo is actually stamped onto the kettle, instead of a stick on decal? Yeah, now you know the tier level we are at.

proxy.php
proxy.php

On the handle, is the thumb button you push to open the lid. The lid doesn't just fling open on a loaded spring, like on cheaper kettles I've owned. The lid opens smoothly and slowly, as if it has a gas shock attached to it. Thats one of those luxury features I am talking about. Nice wide opening, easy to pour the water in without making a mess.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The inside is spacious, your looking at 1.8L of capacity in there, or you could do what I always like to do, and squeeze a little more out of it, by taking it up to the MAX word on there. There is a metal mesh filter, its not a Britta Charcoal filter though, so don't listen to anybody, if they tell you that the filter, is going to actually filter your water and make it taste better. The main purpose of this filter, is to prevent your water from bowling over out of the kettle spout, and they tend to catch calcium despots, as I usually see them building up over time.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Strangely enough, these pictures make me think of the Emerald city in the Wizard Of Oz. The light shines through these quite well, so its really easy to tell where your water level is. And notice that there is no exposed element inside, that is what you want to see in a kettle, if you care about your health, and the quality of taste, of your beverage.

proxy.php
1699767174425.png

The picture on the left, shows the 360 power connection on the top of the base unit. The picture on the right, shows the 360 joining power connection on the bottom of the kettle. I already own a cheaper kettle, with this style of connection. Please note, these points will become dirty overtime, and will begin to cause you to lose the power connection. When this happens, all you need is some cue tips, and a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol, and you run them through the rings, to remove the dirt.

proxy.php

Some folks might be curious, about how much power this kettle draws. This kettle uses 1500 watts of power, basically the equivalent of a space heater on high. Most kitchen outlets today are 20-AMP receptacles. Having said that however, some folks still have a lot of 15-AMP breakered outlets in their home. I DO NOT recommend running this kettle on a 15-AMP outlet, your very likely to trip your breaker every time in doing so. Just make sure to run this on a 20-AMP breaker, and you will be fine.

1699767308271.png

Welcome to the control center! This is where you chose which temperature you want to reach, for your given tea type, and or coffee. These pre-programmed presets, really make it easy for newbies, as you don't need a separate thermal couple, to read the temperature. When the temperature has been reached, the kettle will turn off. But if you wish to have the kettle bring the water up to the temperature you specified and hold, push the keep warm button, and it will do just that, for several minutes, before the auto shutoff timer kicks off.

You can read the operators manual for further details if you wish. But this kettle is pretty easy to use to be honest with you. It heats the water up super fast, and you can see why, due to that higher then usual power draw. So if your looking for a fast boil, and don't want to wait until the cows finally decide to come home, to be milked for your latte, this kettle will serve that need for you, I really quite like it!

proxy.php

Honorable mention. When was the last time, you saw a power cord, this substantial, on a small home appliance? Most of them that I have in my kitchen, are standard 2-prong cables, with literally 0-ground protection, if things were to go south in your home. The Breville kettle, comes with 3-prong power cable, and its a thick bow, with a finger pull tab on the back face of it. This cable lets you know, it means business, and its going to keep you safe, because it has that grounding point.

This is how you make a kettle! Good job Breville, this is why people love your brand, and why I am a happy owner, of my first Breville appliance. What will I get next from them I wonder? Will I eventually get a Breville Barista Express? Ooooooo, wouldn't that be a literal shock and awww from the forum. You never know, stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Nice hauls. Great kettle also. I had one similar. I don’t know what happened to it. I’ve moved a few times. I’m using a Hairo kettle now. No powered unit. Just fill it with filtered water and on the stove. I’ve got the routine down pat to get the correct temps. Mine even has a built in temperature gauge. Good thing about my kettle, it ain’t gonna break like my other one did likely.

I do like your new kettle. Coffee brewing in the morning just got easier for you. Two thumbs up.

Bullgoose Shaving wanted to thank me for my order. So they also sent me a pack of Jelly Belly's. I've ate Jelly Beans before, but I've never had Jelly Belly's I don't think. They look like they are the shape of kidney's, kind of a weird shape to choose for a candy but ok. Taste wise, holy molly! Each Jelly Belly, is a distinct flavor of their own, and the flavor is richly strong. So if your into that sort of thing, as far as candies go, well, you scientific mouth, may enjoy rating each one, as you go.
Hey thanks for reminding me of taking the factory tour, more than once I think, when I was a kid! Sorry, how did I pick out the least important thing? :wacko:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

And lastly, as if I didn't get enough candy this Halloween. When I was last in the store, I saw the marked down price on the Halloween candy, and I adore Reese's Pieces, so I just had to buy these. Why? Cause I gotta!

1699768118252.png

Nice hauls. Great kettle also. I had one similar. I don’t know what happened to it. I’ve moved a few times. I’m using a Hairo kettle now. No powered unit. Just fill it with filtered water and on the stove. I’ve got the routine down pat to get the correct temps. Mine even has a built in temperature gauge. Good thing about my kettle, it ain’t gonna break like my other one did likely.

I do like your new kettle. Coffee brewing in the morning just got easier for you. Two thumbs up.

Thank you so much! I also got this to provide on demand hot water for my shave den as well. Gotta love it when a plan comes together. I had to fix a couple of the pictures in my review of the kettle, because as usual, they didn't post, and it takes me awhile to correct the problem. So just take a quick glance back over it, if you'd like to see the pictures that didn't post before.

I've noticed that people are always losing stuff when they move. I don't trust those moving companies at all. Of course, you can never prove it when they steal something. But that is why its probably a good thing to run your moving operation like the military, every item itemized and cataloged, so that there are no mix ups. So if something suddenly turns up missing, all eyes are going to be on the movers, and I'd love to hear their story on where the item went, that was professionally itemized and cataloged lol.

Hario is a good brand too, and so it Fellow. But Fellow is a bit out there on their prices. Hario has good prices on their stuff though, can't go wrong there. Pretty much, as long as they are actual name brands, your going to be good. The stuff you got to watch out for, are no name brands, that have literally no pride whatsoever, in their own products, thats a solid red flag there. I knew I was on the right track with the stamped logo. LOL! Plus I know the brand reputation as well, as being very solid.

Hey thanks for reminding me of taking the factory tour, more than once I think, when I was a kid! Sorry, how did I pick out the least important thing? :wacko:

WOW, lucky you, you got to tour the Breville factory? Oh man, I would love to do that, meet the workers there that make the machines, and even meet some of the corporate big wigs, so I can thank them for what they are doing, and to keep it up. Why couldn't you be my friend when I was a kid? LOL!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You know that saying, you get what you pay for? If you buy cheap 20 buckaroo kettles, your gonna get a plastic exposed element, very bad for your health, electric kettle. If you buy better 60 buckaroo stainless kettles with non-exposed elements, your going to get a better kettle, that is both better to use, and better for your health. But it may lack fancier features, that provide the feeling of luxury. Today, I am happy to report, that I received my fancier kettle, which is literally the best one I've ever bought thus far.

Lets have a look at the box...

proxy.php

This box is nice, because it shows the kettle that you are buying, and the features of it, listed right on the box, so you don't have to necessarily go searching for the manual. It is lovely that the kettle has IQ, so as long as one doesn't need a NASA grade IQ to operate it. lol Breville is a known brand in the coffee and tea space, you can't go wrong with Breville.

proxy.php

Unlike cheap kettles that feel paper thin, this unit actually has some weight to it, and it feels really good in the hand. Its got a nice handle on it, a site glass window on the top, as well as two fluid level windows, on the front and back. Notice Breville's logo is actually stamped onto the kettle, instead of a stick on decal? Yeah, now you know the tier level we are at.

proxy.php
proxy.php

On the handle, is the thumb button you push to open the lid. The lid doesn't just fling open on a loaded spring, like on cheaper kettles I've owned. The lid opens smoothly and slowly, as if it has a gas shock attached to it. Thats one of those luxury features I am talking about. Nice wide opening, easy to pour the water in without making a mess.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The inside is spacious, your looking at 1.8L of capacity in there, or you could do what I always like to do, and squeeze a little more out of it, by taking it up to the MAX word on there. There is a metal mesh filter, its not a Britta Charcoal filter though, so don't listen to anybody, if they tell you that the filter, is going to actually filter your water and make it taste better. The main purpose of this filter, is to prevent your water from bowling over out of the kettle spout, and they tend to catch calcium despots, as I usually see them building up over time.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Strangely enough, these pictures make me think of the Emerald city in the Wizard Of Oz. The light shines through these quite well, so its really easy to tell where your water level is. And notice that there is no exposed element inside, that is what you want to see in a kettle, if you care about your health, and the quality of taste, of your beverage.

The picture on the left, shows the 360 power connection on the top of the base unit. The picture on the right, shows the 360 joining power connection on the bottom of the kettle. I already own a cheaper kettle, with this style of connection. Please note, these points will become dirty overtime, and will begin to cause you to lose the power connection. When this happens, all you need is some cue tips, and a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol, and you run them through the rings, to remove the dirt.

proxy.php

Some folks might be curious, about how much power this kettle draws. This kettle uses 1500 watts of power, basically the equivalent of a space heater on high. Most kitchen outlets today are 20-AMP receptacles. Having said that however, some folks still have a lot of 15-AMP breakered outlets in their home. I DO NOT recommend running this kettle on a 15-AMP outlet, your very likely to trip your breaker every time in doing so. Just make sure to run this on a 20-AMP breaker, and you will be fine.

Welcome to the control center! This is where you chose which temperature you want to reach, for your given tea type, and or coffee. These pre-programmed presets, really make it easy for newbies, as you don't need a separate thermal couple, to read the temperature. When the temperature has been reached, the kettle will turn off. But if you wish to have the kettle bring the water up to the temperature you specified and hold, push the keep warm button, and it will do just that, for several minutes, before the auto shutoff timer kicks off.

You can read the operators manual for further details if you wish. But this kettle is pretty easy to use to be honest with you. It heats the water up super fast, and you can see why, due to that higher then usual power draw. So if your looking for a fast boil, and don't want to wait until the cows finally decide to come home, to be milked for your latte, this kettle will serve that need for you, I really quite like it!

proxy.php

Honorable mention. When was the last time, you saw a power cord, this substantial, on a small home appliance? Most of them that I have in my kitchen, are standard 2-prong cables, with literally 0-ground protection, if things were to go south in your home. The Breville kettle, comes with 3-prong power cable, and its a thick bow, with a finger pull tab on the back face of it. This cable lets you know, it means business, and its going to keep you safe, because it has that grounding point.

This is how you make a kettle! Good job Breville, this is why people love your brand, and why I am a happy owner, of my first Breville appliance. What will I get next from them I wonder? Will I eventually get a Breville Barista Express? Ooooooo, wouldn't that be a literal shock and awww from the forum. You never know, stranger things have happened.
Our kettle is one of those ceramic ones.... on and off... that's it. A Christmas gift years ago from our oldest son and his wife. I heat it up to 190 or so but have to use a temp probe to know the temperature. It's taking a bit longer to come up to temperature now so I've been scouting out replacements. I want one with programable temperature settings to make it easier to use. Looks like the Breville might just be it.

Thanks, Chris.

Our kettle is one of those ceramic ones.... on and off... that's it. A Christmas gift years ago from our oldest son and his wife. I heat it up to 190 or so but have to use a temp probe to know the temperature. It's taking a bit longer to come up to temperature now so I've been scouting out replacements. I want one with programable temperature settings to make it easier to use. Looks like the Breville might just be it.

Thanks, Chris.
If you need something modern looking in white or black, I have two from Zwilling(Svilling) and they are holding up well so far. Not a knock at all on the Breville, just that some spouses prohibit stainless appliances for inexplicable reasons. The only thing I don't like with all of these, compared to my Fellow, is that the temperature buttons aren't actually user configurable. I think the ones from Bona Vita still are programmable, mine lasted 10 years(very old fashioned and still made the same).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Chris and Aaron, I'm looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BKE830XL-Kettle-Pure-Silver/dp/B00M2OI2KC/

Same controls as the one Chris has... but glass. Easy to clean off any scales, etc.

Aaron, I looked at the Fellow offerings... My wife... the interior designer and a kitchen designer for a living for over 20 years, doesn't like the looks of the Fellows.

Edit: I just downloaded the owner's manual.. and it only has 5 temperature settings.... it isn't programmable... that might be a showstopper... thx Aaron.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, welcome welcome welcome, glad to see ya, happy to have ya. So, after a 11-hour power outage, I have returned from the brink of going out of my mind, to deliver you juicy pictures, of all the gear I bought!

Lets begin with Bullgoose Shaving....

Furbo Vintage Blue aftershave & shave soap!

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

So about that shave soap, hmm, I think its more of a
croap if I'm being honest, too soft to be a soap. Both
the soap and aftershave smell awesome!

Don't forget the Kai blades! Ooooo, what a sampler.

View attachment 1747070

Now lets move onto the supplies from Stirling...

Stirling Christmas Eve shave soap!

proxy.php

This shave soap smells amazing. I can detect the
smell of pine, but its not overpowering like Coniferous.
I am not quite detecting the scent of cookies this is
supposed to have. But I know from experience, lots
of soaps have to be bloomed into a lather, to smell
all the scents, in the palette. So far thumbs up though!

Stirling Glacial Candy Cane aftershave
splash with extra menthol!

proxy.php

This smells exactly like the shave soap I have, its a
mix of peppermint, and chocolate. Yummy!

Stirling Wintergreen Glacial Witch Hazel!

proxy.php

Smells just like my Wintergreen shave soap and
aftershave. As expected, the scent is a little weaker
because its witch hazel. I am hoping that I love
this one more then Thayers!

Stirling Kenya Dark Roast Espresso!

proxy.php

This stuff is delicious every single time I
drink it. If your looking for a dark roast
espresso, that combines the boldness of
a dark roast, but also maintains the nutty
berry flavor of a lighter roast, then
this is the coffee for you. So good!

Drakkar Noir EDT!

proxy.php

This cologne is famous, was a huge hit in
the 80's, right alongside Davidoff's
Cool Water. Because this is a Christmas
gift for a family member, I am not unboxing it.​

Honorable mention...

proxy.php

Continued in the next post...........................................
If that menthol doesn't wake you up, the coffee sure will!! Nice haul man!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Have to agree with you on the stainless steel kettles, they work excellent and longevity seems great so far!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Ohhhhhh, its a beautiful day in the neighborhood, I have power, so everythings good. But I forgot to share my new shave den photo of my goodies. I decided to take one pic this time, showing both shelves at the same time. I love it when a plan comes together...

proxy.php

Thanks, Chris.

Welcome back Kim, its great to see you like always. Well, you know that I have an appreciation for ceramics, and I certainly love the look of your ceramic kettle with the outward dimple thingies. But, to be perfectly honest, I think a kettle should be stainless steel, this way you don't have pours in stone, where bacterial can live. I think that stainless devices are easier to clean anyways so yeah.

My old 60 buckaroo stainless kettle is doing the same thing yous are doing. Its taking at least 15-minutes to heat up 1.8L of water, and that is just unacceptable. My old kettle is almost 14-years old, its a miracle that it still works! Its been a good kettle, treated me well for years, and still technically works, but I think its past its prime, and probably ready for retirement lol.

Temperature range on the Breville kettle is, 175F, 185F, 195F, 200F. Just press the button on the one you want. This is very simple to use, and I would even recommend this kettle for seniors, who tend to forget what buttons to press on a TV remote, the controls on the Breville are much simpler then that, and that is one of its defining appeals, IMHO.

If you need something modern looking in white or black, I have two from Zwilling(Svilling) and they are holding up well so far. Not a knock at all on the Breville, just that some spouses prohibit stainless appliances for inexplicable reasons. The only thing I don't like with all of these, compared to my Fellow, is that the temperature buttons aren't actually user configurable. I think the ones from Bona Vita still are programmable, mine lasted 10 years(very old fashioned and still made the same).

I know what you mean, I've watched enough movies and shows that depicted that behavior. I'd love to deliver my retort and tell them, "oh yeah, well I hate the color white, its ugly, and it shows dirt and stains far too easily." Stainless steel is the best! I think that Fellow Stag AKG would be a great kettle to go with, if you need a gooseneck kettle for your pour over. I haven't seen Zwilling kettles, nor have I even heard of that brand. I have heard of Bona Vita, yup, their bonafied lol.

Chris and Aaron, I'm looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BKE830XL-Kettle-Pure-Silver/dp/B00M2OI2KC/

Same controls as the one Chris has... but glass. Easy to clean off any scales, etc.

Aaron, I looked at the Fellow offerings... My wife... the interior designer and a kitchen designer for a living for over 20 years, doesn't like the looks of the Fellows.

Edit: I just downloaded the owner's manual.. and it only has 5 temperature settings.... it isn't programmable... that might be a showstopper... thx Aaron.

Yep, I looked at that kettle too. And these glass kettles are becoming all the rage these days, even the Chinese low quality copy cats, are producing those glass kettles too. I suppose those kettles are good, I assume they are made out of Pyrex glass. And glass certainly is easy to clean as we know. But I decided to air on the side of caution, and go with stainless. This way too, if you drop stainless, its still good. If you drop that glass kettle, especially if its full of water weight, well, I think your somewhat recent experience with a glass French Press, will help you to see my point there.

And yup, as I said in my review, my kettle uses pre-programmed temperatures, just like the glass version does. But to be perfectly honest with you Kim, I've read your coffee posts extensively, so thats how I know, 195F will do you just fine for your French Press use, because I know thats the temp you use. So if thats the type of temperature adjustment you are looking for, both kettles have it by the press of a single button.

If that menthol doesn't wake you up, the coffee sure will!! Nice haul man!

The best part of waking up, is Kenya in my cup. The best morning facial wash, is a menthol aftershave splash! Thanks dude, I appreciate your post!

I see your gravitating towards the new rage these days, glass. I assume a lot of that has to do with wife approval factors? I've heard of the OXO brand before, they are technically a name brand in the space, just not as well known. The temperature seems to be adjustable via the knob, similar to a Stag AKG from Fellow. Hmm, seems it draws 1500 watts, so most likely a fast boiler. Please note, it holds 1.75L, so just under 1.8L. If they didn't narrow the glass towards the top, they could have easily got 1.8L out of it. But sometimes brands put more form into the design then function.

I don't know, it seems like a nice kettle, why don't you buy it and try it out. Because if you don't like it, you can always return it, because of Amazon's excellent return policy.

Have to agree with you on the stainless steel kettles, they work excellent and longevity seems great so far!

And I agree with your statement 100%. My old kettle is a Toastess Delfino, I bought back in 2010, it technically still works, but its become really slow over the past several years, taking 15-minutes to get 1.8L to a boil. So, I think its time to retire it, and let it now be overshadowed, by the Breville lol. But yeah, I am a huge advocate for stainless steel indeed. Thanks for your post Ron!

That's a good find right there! I believe you can get it direct from OXO too, I have ordered from them in the past. It looks like it meets all your criteria, but check the watts though. Some are only 900 which is going to be slow.

There is a 15% off popup

Yep, he should be able to purchase it directly from OXO, he should be able to get full support that way. The only benefit buying from Amazon gets you, is an easier and more convenient return policy. But buying from OXO directly, should provide a definite locked in warranty honorings. And yep, I agree, those 900-watters are so slow, its like watching paint dry. And yes, I'd take advantage of that 15% off if I were him.

Top Bottom