What's new

I Just Ordered A Bunch Of Shaving Supplies - Opinions?

Its October again, spooky month, when the leaves turn yellow, and your not sure where the Big Foot may be lurking.

Happy Halloween GIF by joeyahlbum

HAHA!

___________________________________________________________________________________

SV Opuntia Deodorant Spray Situation Update Report!

So first, I want to begin with an update, to let you all know, that SV made good on my order, and sent out my replacement. The sprayer is still odd on the replacement, but you got to press the button down slowly, and it seems to be working so far. I do notice that the replacement also has a hole on the bottom of it, but nothing is leaking out of the replacement bottle. If I had to make an educated guess, that might be a pressure relief hole.

So maybe these bottles have a tendency to over pressurize? I really couldn't say since its my first deodorant spray from them. But so far the new one is holding up. I have to ask, why do companies try to re-invent the wheel? Just give me a normal spray bottle with a normal spray nozzle, whats so hard about that? Beings that the spray nozzle is not removable, I am getting the feeling, that this bottle was meant to be pressurized. Weird.
___________________________________________________________________________________

I ordered a lot of stuff this month, so I am just going to use my thread as a catch all post, so a mix of shaving items, haircare, and house related.

Maggards Order List:

Funny enough, but I started this thread off with purchasing Bic blades, nearly 2-years ago. I think its funny that I have come full circle, and have purchased another 100 Bic blades, they are to be mainly used in my Timeless Bronze 0.38 razor!

View attachment 1727170

I decided to finally get a very popular aftershave, famous for its scent, but more so infamous, for its Hell's burn to your face. Pinaud Clubman Jeris Osage Rub!

View attachment 1727171

I also got another aftershave, one that I've been meaning to try, one that many folks appear to like on here, Proraso Sandalwood aftershave splash. I have their aftershave balm, its ok, nothing to ride home about, but I've heard the aftershave splash is better.

View attachment 1727172

I'm starting to take a greater interest in my haircare management. Thats what I purchased all those Wahl tools for, better living when you don't look like a bum HAHA! I wanted to try out this Layrite Natural Matt Cream, comes in a good size 4.25OZ container, price is a bit high, but I assume that price tag is for a high performance product, so will see.

View attachment 1727184

Amazon Orders:

I think its interesting how despite that Cremo is a highly known brand in the shaving space, many shaving retail store outlets, do not carry Cremo's Styling Cream. Both West Coast Shaving, as well as Maggards Razors, didn't carry this product. Since I was making an Amazon order, I just decided to include it in there. So I ordered Cremo's Styling Cream, people review it quite highly, many state that this is the best one that they have tried, and that many love the scent. So I assume its got to be good if so many people love it. But as with all things, I know, YMMV.

View attachment 1727191

Some of you know that I got that Wahl Barber Dryer, well, I learned from a buddy of mine, that I needed to get myself a proper vented hair brush, so that I could shape and style my hair properly. Using this brush, in combination with these cream products, should hopefully yield some positive results!

View attachment 1727192

Also, you might know that I got a pair of RayBan shades last month, I was surprised for the cost of them, they didn't come with a cleaning kit. So I decided to order the official kit as per my Amazon order, but they are temporary out of stock. Hoping that they come in stock soon. I won't get charged until they ship it so, no loss to me right now.

View attachment 1727193

Its always good to have a set of quality micro fiber towels on hand, we all got to clean stuff, and some of the stuff with we have to clean or polish, requires a gentle micro fiber touch. You can't just purchase 1 towel on Amazon, they force you to buy a set. Price is good though, I'll make use of the rest of them eventually lol.

View attachment 1727195

And here is why I bought the towels, because I also ordered Bar Keepers Friend, this is for polishing my razors, especially the Timeless Bronze 0.38 razor. I wanna keep it polished nice and shinny, no patina allowed on my razors. Be gone ugly green, and keep the goldish bronze scene.

View attachment 1727196

I live in an old home, where I have to put plastic over the windows during winter time, because the home is far too drafty, and wouldn't be able to heat it otherwise. Having said that, even with heaters running, when the outdoor temps get down into the single digits, usually the best the heaters manage in my home, is around 48F to 52F, when temps are that cold outside, with a battered wind chill, from the ugly wind gusts from hell. I don't sleep well when its so cold inside, and have a heck of a time falling asleep anyways. I've owned many blankets over the years, but they are the standard kind.

So, with that said, I ordered a 20LB weighted blanket, navy blue color, my favorite. Supposed to be soft and fluffy I guess. According to many reviews, weighted blankets practically hug you in warmth, well thats what I want. Because if I got no lady to keep me warm, then give me a blanket that actually does something. Yessir!

View attachment 1727198

I also purchased more Good Brother's Neapolitian coffee, its good stuff.

proxy.php
I love bar keepers friend and everyone should. It is the most amazing cleaner and the most well kept cleaning secret. I assume since you use it that it is safe for razors. I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I love bar keepers friend and everyone should. It is the most amazing cleaner and the most well kept cleaning secret. I assume since you use it that it is safe for razors. I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up!

It is safe for razors, this particular version is meant for these metals specifically, and is also recommended by Timeless themselves, for polishing their razors, it is what they use infact.

Screenshot from 2023-10-03 16-53-14.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Fantastic news. Would it be safe for plated ones as well?

Yes it would be, this is why it is called a soft cleanser, because it is gentile, and will clean and polish the finish, but its not an abrasive like some cleaners tend to be. Infact, not only do you want to avoid using abrasive based cleaners, but you also want to avoid cleaners that have ammonia in them. I've heard of people cleaning razors with Windex before, and IMO, that is a big NO NO! If your looking for glass cleaner, Windex is your friend, but only for windows or mirrors. You don't even want to use Windex on your prescription glasses or shades, as the amonia will destroy the coatings applied to them.

Bar Keepers Friend, like you said, is the hidden gem. It is the cleaner/polisher that you are looking for.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Everything that I ordered has arrived, minus the coffee. I wanted to wait till just about everything showed up, before I posted pictures.

proxy.php

I got my Bic blades now, and I'm ok, for those who use Feather instead, you better pray lol! I admit that I like Bic's labeling, ooooo, shinny blades, draws near like a fly to the light. Stay tuned for the picture at the end, to see these blades added to The Towers Of Blade-A-Lon!

proxy.php
proxy.php

I can see why folks speak highly of this aftershave, it does indeed have a lovely sandalwood scent. Proraso don't have a clue what they are doing with their aftershave balms, but at least they have their act together with their aftershave splashes, I approve this scent!

proxy.php

After nearly 2-years, I finally got the infamous Osage Rub. Don't mistake this for rub sauce for your meat, this is rub for your face and neck. If you look closely, you will see a fire icon on the bottom of the label, this is supposed to indicate that this product is flammable, yeah, well that goes without saying, its got alcohol and menthol in it. But since I reject their reality and substitute my own, I say that fire icon means, this is gonna bring on the BURN! :devil: This aftershave also has a lovely scent, its very hard to pinpoint what it is. Lets just say its Osage Rub, bow before your leader, or you will be Osage fired. HAHA! :lol:

proxy.php

I bring you Micky Mouse! No, not really, I can't even get a hold of his manager, let alone hire him for a close up. This is the Cremo Medium Hold, Medium Shine, Styling Cream. I ordered 2 and got 1 free apparently. I am hoping that this produce works out good. I am 50/50 on the scent, its not bad, but its not great, its just OK. Product comes in 4-0Z tins, screw on tops, decent.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I got to be honest, even before using it, I can already tell that I am getting what I pay for with this one. This Layrite Natural Matt Medium Hold Styling Cream, comes in a 4.25-OZ tin with a fancy stamped screw top lid. The container actually has a grippy texture believe it or not, it just feels so good in the hand to hold. The front label states clearly what it is, with chrome accents top and bottom of the blue label. The stamped top lid, reminds me of Saponificio Varesino, as they also do the same. I guess the company has been producing these products since 1999. And there's a lady on there doing something with a barber pole, I guess she really does appreciate a well groomed man afterall. And this cream has a lovely coconut scent to it, I really quite like it. If I end up liking this more then the Cremo, I will have to stock up on a lot more of this Layrite.

IMG_5733.JPG

IMG_5734.JPG

This is my new Denman Skeleton vented brush, this is what will be required, for me to style my hair like a pro, using some delicious hair styling cream, and a barber dryer. It won't be long before I earn a merit badge for well groomed man. Not sure if it would get me any ladies, but, at least I would feel good about myself.

proxy.php

Hey @Osyri Would you just have a look at that. My collection of blades has increased, with another tower of Bic blades, you shall go to the Towers Of Blade-A-Lon system, there you will find your master of blades. I think you need to work on your game, you need more blades, yes you do. HAHA

BTW, I find it interesting how my old packs of Bic blades are yellow in color. But the new packs I just bought are orange in color. Did Bic change their boxes recently? Also, I should be earning a reward right now, for I, the master of goofyness, have finally secured 1000-blades. WOOHOO! :thumbup:

Everything that I ordered has arrived, minus the coffee. I wanted to wait till just about everything showed up, before I posted pictures.

proxy.php

I got my Bic blades now, and I'm ok, for those who use Feather instead, you better pray lol! I admit that I like Bic's labeling, ooooo, shinny blades, draws near like a fly to the light. Stay tuned for the picture at the end, to see these blades added to The Towers Of Blade-A-Lon!

proxy.php
proxy.php

I can see why folks speak highly of this aftershave, it does indeed have a lovely sandalwood scent. Proraso don't have a clue what they are doing with their aftershave balms, but at least they have their act together with their aftershave splashes, I approve this scent!

proxy.php

After nearly 2-years, I finally got the infamous Osage Rub. Don't mistake this for rub sauce for your meat, this is rub for your face and neck. If you look closely, you will see a fire icon on the bottom of the label, this is supposed to indicate that this product is flammable, yeah, well that goes without saying, its got alcohol and menthol in it. But since I reject their reality and substitute my own, I say that fire icon means, this is gonna bring on the BURN! :devil: This aftershave also has a lovely scent, its very hard to pinpoint what it is. Lets just say its Osage Rub, bow before your leader, or you will be Osage fired. HAHA! :lol:

proxy.php

I bring you Micky Mouse! No, not really, I can't even get a hold of his manager, let alone hire him for a close up. This is the Cremo Medium Hold, Medium Shine, Styling Cream. I ordered 2 and got 1 free apparently. I am hoping that this produce works out good. I am 50/50 on the scent, its not bad, but its not great, its just OK. Product comes in 4-0Z tins, screw on tops, decent.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I got to be honest, even before using it, I can already tell that I am getting what I pay for with this one. This Layrite Natural Matt Medium Hold Styling Cream, comes in a 4.25-OZ tin with a fancy stamped screw top lid. The container actually has a grippy texture believe it or not, it just feels so good in the hand to hold. The front label states clearly what it is, with chrome accents top and bottom of the blue label. The stamped top lid, reminds me of Saponificio Varesino, as they also do the same. I guess the company has been producing these products since 1999. And there's a lady on there doing something with a barber pole, I guess she really does appreciate a well groomed man afterall. And this cream has a lovely coconut scent to it, I really quite like it. If I end up liking this more then the Cremo, I will have to stock up on a lot more of this Layrite.

This is my new Denman Skeleton vented brush, this is what will be required, for me to style my hair like a pro, using some delicious hair styling cream, and a barber dryer. It won't be long before I earn a merit badge for well groomed man. Not sure if it would get me any ladies, but, at least I would feel good about myself.

proxy.php

Hey @Osyri Would you just have a look at that. My collection of blades has increased, with another tower of Bic blades, you shall go to the Towers Of Blade-A-Lon system, there you will find your master of blades. I think you need to work on your game, you need more blades, yes you do. HAHA

BTW, I find it interesting how my old packs of Bic blades are yellow in color. But the new packs I just bought are orange in color. Did Bic change their boxes recently? Also, I should be earning a reward right now, for I, the master of goofyness, have finally secured 1000-blades. WOOHOO! :thumbup:
the question is would you be able to all of them blades, a sith-in-training will borrow his Masters blades if needed!

I am up to 200 blades now as I am trying to reach magic numbers! Working on my custom brush so excited when everything arrives for the final form!

BTW nice haul!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Eat this if you want to be tired afterwords. LOL!

1699019725878.png

Welcome to November, also known as turkey month, when most put themselves into a food coma, at the later half of the month. I got some interesting shaving purchases this month, so I hope you keep your food trays in their upright positions, and keep them seat belts fastened. Because I have it on good authority, some menthol will be in the mix, and not everybody can take that coooooool turbulence. HEHE!

I am getting a head start on Christmas, because when December gets here, I will be using my Stirling Candy Cane soap I have, as well as, a new order of Stirling Christmas Eve! Yes, nothing says Christmas, like slapping on Christmas Pine, Christmas Cookies, and Christmas Peppermint Candy Canes, yummy. Bonus points if you are sucking on a candy cane while shaving with candy cane. HEHE!

1699021177928.png

I just found out, that Stirling's Peppermint aftershave, is a hidden beauty. When you go to the listing, you will see, that you can either get it without menthol, or normal mentholated, or, bring the supreme power of the glacial arctic menthol. I can give you one guess on which one I picked. Bring fourth the ultimate glacial power, freeze my face in Peppermint baby. WOOHOO! :thumbup:

1699021507631.png

You folks who know me, know that I also love that delicious Wintergreen scent, I wear it in shave soap and aftershave, and I ingest it in Altoid mints! Unfortunately, the only witch hazel I've had, ( since I joined traditional wet shaving ) is Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel. I've discovered that mint seems to work better with most things, and can even go well as a minty citrus mix as well believe it or not! So, with that said, welcome to Stirlings Glacial Wintergreen Witch Hazel. Yes.....Gimmeee!

1699021786077.png

And because I'd like to think that I am a smart cookie sometimes, by ordering from Stirling, I can also buy my coffee there, and by combining the entire order together, I not only secure free shipping, but I was also able to apply a 15-dollar off discount, which made the order oh that much more sweeter! Aint that just so stellar or what? Stirling Kenya......ESPRESSO! Delicious coffee in my Yeti, yessir! :cuppa:

1699021988725.png

Now lets move onto Bullgoose Shaving, yes, I am a first time shopper yeah buddy! The reason I am shopping here, is because they have some delicious Furbo products, thats right. I got a recommendation to try out the Furbo aftershaves. I looked at the scent notes, and reading off of description alone, yep, I think I am going to love the Furbo Blue! I decided to get the Furbo Blue shave soap as well, yessir!

1699027979832.png

1699028006783.png

And I decided to pick up some Kai blades. Somebody recommended that I try out those blades, I thought what the heck, throw a tuk in there. I applied a 10% off new member discount, and applied some expedited shipping, so I am hoping that the order will arrive soon yay!

1699028185472.png

I actually ordered 2 Furbo Blue bottles of aftershave, cause 1 is for me, and the 2nd, is for a family member. Another thing I am ordering for a family member, is a bottle of Drakkar Noir EDT!

Screenshot from 2023-11-03 09-24-10.png

And lastly, I am upgrading my shave den, with the wonders of hot water, in the shave den, on demand, whenever I want! Breville IQ Electric Kettle, Brushed Stainless Steel, BKE820XL, 7.5 Cups,Silver. Ohhhhhh, I do believe, I will be shaving in supreme comfort, when the hot water arrives!

1699029125986.png

This concludes this months shaving supply purchases and more. I hope that it was informative and entertaining for you.

Remember when I made this post folks? Well, I have finally figured out why this product didn't live up to my expectations. There are 3-things wrong with it, and it sent its final nail in its coffin with amazing percision, as in an actual hole in the bottom!

( 1 ) The sprayer nozzle pump never worked properly, I could never get a solid spray out of it 99% of the time.

( 2 ) The scent of the product did not properly match up, with the rest of the Opuntia product line. I have since discovered that it is most likely do to the fact, the product has reacted to the metal. In other words, chemical reaction break down.

( 3 ) And the most important issue. I was using it today, sprayer got to the point where it would only spit a single drop. You wanna know why? Because it freaking blue a hole out the bottom of it, and liquid was leaking out of it!

I contacted the SV store where I have been buying all my SV gear. I took a couple of pictures, let them know what happened, and I linked them to my pictures directly. I let them know that I paid good money for this deodorant, and that I want the bottle replaced under warranty. They have one chance to make this right people.

I am the type of person, that when a company screws me over and doesn't make it right, you lose me as a customer for life. So thats why I say, they have 1-chance to make it right. I am not a believer in the 3-strikes your out Baseball rule. You get 1-chance, 1-chance only. Make of it as you will. But SV products are expensive, and I shelled out 35 bucks minus shipping for this, I don't like my money being wasted.
Wishing I would have stumbled across this post before I ordered two last month.
Mine both behave EXACTLY the way yours did. Doesn't matter what I try, although not due to a hole or leak.
I've tried shaking it, spraying upside down, standin on my head whilst chewing gum, even did a rain dance...all to no avail.
Shame really, mine are Morado and Desert Vetiver and both smell great, but I'm not going to pump the !@#ing thing 100 times for two droplets of product...a lot I've wasted I might add trying to figure out a method that works.
I've contacted SV directly as it was something I ordered with the pre-release of Argania; stay tuned.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Wishing I would have stumbled across this post before I ordered two last month.
Mine both behave EXACTLY the way yours did. Doesn't matter what I try, although not due to a hole or leak.
I've tried shaking it, spraying upside down, standin on my head whilst chewing gum, even did a rain dance...all to no avail.
Shame really, mine are Morado and Desert Vetiver and both smell great, but I'm not going to pump the !@#ing thing 100 times for two droplets of product...a lot I've wasted I might add trying to figure out a method that works.
I've contacted SV directly as it was something I ordered with the pre-release of Argania; stay tuned.

Hello @midwestshaver71 Oh my gosh, you ordered two of them? Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that! Usually, I am an advocate for spending money for shaving supplies, but the caveat regarding that is, they should be wise spent purchases. And I gotta say, while I love my SV shave soap, aftershave, EDP cologne, I do not love the deodorant. I mean, how did these pass QC, they are all clearly defective!

And since I made that post, I think I figured out what is wrong with these, as I am going through the same thing, with a cheaper bottle of cologne right now. Previously, I had bought two bottles of Alt Executive #26 EDP, one bottle had a perfect sprayer on it, and it was the one in which I had reviewed, in this thread. But once I got to my 2nd bottle, and its got a garbage sprayer. How could spray nozzles change on an identical product?

Well, the quick answer is, the sprayer is defective on my 2nd bottle, but I figured out what has made it defective. The sprayer nozzle is not venting the bottle, its actually charging the bottle up with a vacuum. Ever suck liquid up a straw, and put your tongue on the end of it, and notice the liquid stays in the straw? Yeah well, thats whats called a vacuum.

Now, with my 2nd bottle of Alt Executive #26, I can unscrew the sprayer from the bottle, and hear an air rushing inside hiss sound. That makes the sprayer work again for awhile, till it builds up a vacuum again, and have to release the pressure. Now, I think that is exactly what is going on with the SV deodorant sprayers. Problem is, there is no way to unscrew the top nozzle, to relieve pressure.

What bother's me is, SV created this mess by putting out a faulty product, and this entire line should require a recall! In America, a recall would be demanded. But I don't know how things work in Italy, so I couldn't say. But I have had good luck with SV products, until I tried their deodorant. You know, this didn't use to be an issue. My entire life growing up, I can't remember encountering this issue once, with a spray bottle. But all the sudden now, people can't make a spray bottle for nothing.

Feel free to go through my entire thread if you have the time, and keep a keen eye on it. As, all shaving supply purchases and more, I put in here. And I speak on the good, the bad, and the ugly regarding them. And in the case of the SV deodorant's, its a big fat UGLY!

Hello @midwestshaver71 Oh my gosh, you ordered two of them? Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that! Usually, I am an advocate for spending money for shaving supplies, but the caveat regarding that is, they should be wise spent purchases. And I gotta say, while I love my SV shave soap, aftershave, EDP cologne, I do not love the deodorant. I mean, how did these pass QC, they are all clearly defective!

And since I made that post, I think I figured out what is wrong with these, as I am going through the same thing, with a cheaper bottle of cologne right now. Previously, I had bought two bottles of Alt Executive #26 EDP, one bottle had a perfect sprayer on it, and it was the one in which I had reviewed, in this thread. But once I got to my 2nd bottle, and its got a garbage sprayer. How could spray nozzles change on an identical product?

Well, the quick answer is, the sprayer is defective on my 2nd bottle, but I figured out what has made it defective. The sprayer nozzle is not venting the bottle, its actually charging the bottle up with a vacuum. Ever suck liquid up a straw, and put your tongue on the end of it, and notice the liquid stays in the straw? Yeah well, thats whats called a vacuum.

Now, with my 2nd bottle of Alt Executive #26, I can unscrew the sprayer from the bottle, and hear an air rushing inside hiss sound. That makes the sprayer work again for awhile, till it builds up a vacuum again, and have to release the pressure. Now, I think that is exactly what is going on with the SV deodorant sprayers. Problem is, there is no way to unscrew the top nozzle, to relieve pressure.

What bother's me is, SV created this mess by putting out a faulty product, and this entire line should require a recall! In America, a recall would be demanded. But I don't know how things work in Italy, so I couldn't say. But I have had good luck with SV products, until I tried their deodorant. You know, this didn't use to be an issue. My entire life growing up, I can't remember encountering this issue once, with a spray bottle. But all the sudden now, people can't make a spray bottle for nothing.

Feel free to go through my entire thread if you have the time, and keep a keen eye on it. As, all shaving supply purchases and more, I put in here. And I speak on the good, the bad, and the ugly regarding them. And in the case of the SV deodorant's, its a big fat UGLY!
It does baffle me they put an otherwise great product in a very nice bottle, and a gargage spray nozzle. I feel too like it's not able to get enough air to dispense properly, but these bottles just don't come apart from what I can tell.

Turns out these bottles do have a removeable cap. After seeing this issue from another member in a different post from @worldrallyx I felt it at least warranted some digging.
Why on earth there is no pick up tube with these bottles is beyond me. I did email SV and was told they will remedy the issue. It's not like the tube just tell off, rather it's not there; by design or otherwise there is not one.
So...took some poly line from an old fuel pressure testing gauge that quit working. It's 1/4" ID, just slightly smaller that the OD of bottom portion of the sprayer neck.
Cut to approximate length to reach the bottom, I screwed things back together, gave it a few shakes and after it was primed it sprays perfectly. Two sprays would easily cover one pit I would say. Very nice spray pattern.

20231107_152723.jpg

Turns out these bottles do have a removeable cap. After seeing this issue from another member in a different post from @worldrallyx I felt it at least warranted some digging.
Why on earth there is no pick up tube with these bottles is beyond me. I did email SV and was told they will remedy the issue. It's not like the tube just tell off, rather it's not there; by design or otherwise there is not one.
So...took some poly line from an old fuel pressure testing gauge that quit working. It's 1/4" ID, just slightly smaller that the OD of bottom portion of the sprayer neck.
Cut to approximate length to reach the bottom, I screwed things back together, gave it a few shakes and after it was primed it sprays perfectly. Two sprays would easily cover one pit I would say. Very nice spray pattern.

View attachment 1745065
That my friend, is a fine example of country boy engineering. Get'Er Dun.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

View attachment 1745065

DUDE! This is excellent research and handiwork on your part! Oh my gosh, I think I need to do the same thing. Looks like the typical hose you'd find on a leak down test kit. Hmm, my brain is thinking, and thats when I get dangerous. Should I do exactly what you did, or should I Tim The Toolman Taylor it with more horse power, using a motorized sprayer. Oooooo, I am so tempted to go overkill, but I think I will just do what you did in the end. Its so tempting though, but I'd know that I would end up probably crushing the bottle like a soda can if I put a motorized sprayer on there LMAO! Thanks again so much for this excellent advice, I got to do this! And lets hope that the company fixes this issue in the long run too.

Tim Allen Power Tool GIF

View attachment 1745065
Best way I could finally get it to spray was to shake it violently, glad to see Im not crazy and alone with the issue

Top Bottom