What's new

I have HAD

Just got and tryed the 1k C today on a very dull old full wedge. what a fast cutter . the edge is much nicer edge tha i expected. highly recomended

I actauly found after a while of honing on it , it felt better and better. the surface felt. perfect. the 1k naniwa glazes up rapid. this 1kc is totaly differant. the price is good and the hone is very thick. i don't think any one would go wrong with this bevel setter.

gary

Really, then what is the point of the 1K? If you start with a thick slurry shouldn't the coticule will do all the bevel work you need. I'm confused :confused1

I have done serious bevel work on a coticule with yogurt and on a chosera 1k. I bread knifed a frown and microchipping out of two different razors. The repair was a similar amount of metal taken. 4 hours later on the coticule with yogurt I was starting dilutions, it took 20 minutes on the chosera 1k, folowed by less than 10 minutes on yogurt to start dilutions.

Phil

U

Utopian

When you say breadknifing, are you literally holding the blade perpendicular to the stone? If so, then you are creating a lot of unnecessary extra work for yourself.

I have done serious bevel work on a coticule with yogurt and on a chosera 1k. I bread knifed a frown and microchipping out of two different razors. The repair was a similar amount of metal taken. 4 hours later on the coticule with yogurt I was starting dilutions, it took 20 minutes on the chosera 1k, folowed by less than 10 minutes on yogurt to start dilutions.

Phil
Phil,

You hone with yogurt on your stones?I have seen people say they use some kind of a oil but never have I seen someone say they use yogurt.
I am afraid to ask because I might be going to the grocery store after work but what is the benefit of using yogurt?

Paul

Phil,

You hone with yogurt on your stones?I have seen people say they use some kind of a oil but never have I seen someone say they use yogurt.
I am afraid to ask because I might be going to the grocery store after work but what is the benefit of using yogurt?

Paul

I think he is talking about the use of heavy slurry that is "yogurt" like. Usually it is referred to heavy "milk" like

Phil,

Paul

Pudding is much better because of its consistency.

U

Utopian

Naw, yogurt is better because of its benefits to your digestive tract, but the coticule slurry can feel a bit gritty going down.

Go away for a few days and...

When you say breadknifing, are you literally holding the blade perpendicular to the stone? If so, then you are creating a lot of unnecessary extra work for yourself.

Yes.
I was removing damage from one blade and adjusting an irregular profile in the other blade. I find it easier to provide a regular profile to hone, then set the bevel, and do not see it as removing additional metal vs honing till the damage or profile is corrected.

Hopefully it is obvious that with a blade in good condition bread knifing is not necessary.

Phil,

Paul

I think he is talking about the use of heavy slurry that is "yogurt" like. Usually it is referred to heavy "milk" like

Pudding is much better because of its consistency.

Naw, yogurt is better because of its benefits to your digestive tract, but the coticule slurry can feel a bit gritty going down.

Yum!

Really, pudding or yogurt are apt descriptions of the very heavy slurry I use when starting with a lot of material expected to be removed. Since the very heavy slurry does not undercut like more dilute slurries I end up moving the paste to one end and diluting part of the hone to check for undercutting of the slurry.

On my coticule thick slurry is rather fast, but the Chosera 1k is faster by far. My inexpensive hones in much heavier grit than the chosera 1k are much slower, slower than my coticule on very heavy slurry with a much less refined edge being produced.

I do like finishing with mineral oil on my coticule. The edge is incredible.

No, it's God's way of telling you that you HAD too much money.

Can be. I am glad that I asked questions and have gotten excellent feedback from members here at B&B, my HAD has been rather limited (2 stones so far), but it always seems to occur in $100 increments.

Phil

I'm thinking I'm pretty safe from HAD, after some serious thinking, and some helpful emails for various sources, my hone setup will be a LPB Coticule and a Chosera 1K and a balsa strop with some CrOx, that should work allright I'm sure, I wouldn't need a 15k+ finisher then right? Right? :w00t: :lol:

I'm thinking I'm pretty safe from HAD, after some serious thinking, and some helpful emails for various sources, my hone setup will be a LPB Coticule and a Chosera 1K and a balsa strop with some CrOx, that should work allright I'm sure, I wouldn't need a 15k+ finisher then right? Right? :w00t: :lol:

Blix,

We have the same exact setup.I like my LPB now that I figured out if I do too many laps with slurry I pretty much end up with a completly dull razor,40-60 laps seems to be the sweet spot,at least for me.

Paul

Uh huh. Sure.

I think you just have the milder affliction that better allows for budgeting...
Phil

Blix,

We have the same exact setup.I like my LPB now that I figured out if I do too many laps with slurry I pretty much end up with a completly dull razor,40-60 laps seems to be the sweet spot,at least for me.

Paul

Cool, I don't have the setup yet, but will order it next week, thanks for the tip!

Uh huh. Sure.

I think you just have the milder affliction that better allows for budgeting...
Phil

I'll try to say that to myself over and over and over again... :biggrin:

Now I am wanting a Frankonian stone from Olivia's site.I was thinking of a of a 12k finisher but I am thinking the Frankonian will be a better finisher.

Paul

Top Bottom