What's new

I have HAD

I received the Chosera 1k yesterday.This stone should really be called The Time Saver 1000.I lapped the stone with some 400 grit wetanddry sandpaper,which was very easy to do.I set the bevel on a Dovo Bismark that was needing to be honed.After about 25-30 laps the razor was cutting hair on my arm and I could see the steel that was being removed.
I did 60 half x stokes with a light slurry on my coticle and then 60 x strokes with water,stropped on leather and I was done.This was done in around 15 minutes.
Shaved with the razor this morning and it was the best shave this razor has ever provided.
Overall I am very happy with the stone.

Paul
:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

From what I've read the naniwa needs lapped every 3-4 razors. No thanks.

Wow...never even thought of that as a reason to prefer one to the other. I wish I could go back in time about 2yrs and ~300 restorations!

de-eBaying old str8s, it was common for me to clean/lap the S.S. w/ the DuoSharp multiple times during the process of getting that initial bevel

From what I've read the naniwa needs lapped every 3-4 razors. No thanks.

Wow...never even thought of that as a reason to prefer one to the other. I wish I could go back in time about 2yrs and ~300 restorations!

de-eBaying old str8s, it was common for me to clean/lap the S.S. w/ the DuoSharp multiple times during the process of getting that initial bevel

Hell I don't hone as much as you do and I hate lapping my Nortons:tongue_sm.

The Chosera is great though, I have quite a few razors to it already and it doesn't look like it will need lapping anytime soon.

Do you have to soak it ?

It works the best when soaked for a few minutes.

Ugh, soaking :glare: Is the Chosera 1K a hone that can be left soaking in water all of the time? I am intrigued by this stone, but I like picking up a stone/hone at a whim to start honing. If I could leave a Chosera soaking all the time then it would always be ready to rock and roll anytime. Anybody have input on this? Thanks!

Last edited:
The Chosera 1k can be had in the UK for about 42 pounds shipped. Do a search and you will find the webshop I think.

Ugh, soaking :glare: Is the Chosera 1K a hone that can be left soaking in water all of the time? I am intrigued by this stone, but I like picking up a stone/hone at a whim to start honing. If I could leave a Chosera soaking all the time then it would always be ready to rock and roll anytime. Anybody have input on this? Thanks!

The Chosera can NOT be left soaking. It would ruin the stone.

The Chosera can NOT be left soaking. It would ruin the stone.

Yep - the chosera can crack if left in too long. I typically only soak mine 5-10 minutes and really just spray and go with water works fine.

Hell I don't hone as much as you do and I hate lapping my Nortons:tongue_sm.

The Chosera is great though, I have quite a few razors to it already and it doesn't look like it will need lapping anytime soon.

I've taken 100+ razors to the chosera and only lapped it recently. Not that it even needed it, but I felt like maybe I should.

You all suck :tongue_sm I just placed an order for a Chosera 1K.

Please share your post Chosera 1K finishing tips using a coticule! Easttexasman already posted 60 half strokes on light slurry and then 60 on water.

Please share your post Chosera 1K finishing tips using a coticule! Easttexasman already posted 60 half strokes on light slurry and then 60 on water.

That was on a full hollow razor.I honed a 1/4 grind LeGrot this weekend and it was not even close as easy.3x as many strokes to set the bevel and some where around 200-300 strokes on water with the coti.
I am dreading the day I have to do a full hone on my Hart razor,I imagine it will take alot of strokes.

Paul

That's easy: 6-10 minute dilucot on the coticule flavor of the day for me. :tongue_sm

Most of my coticules require a very thick slurry to start off with after the 1K.

Really, then what is the point of the 1K? If you start with a thick slurry shouldn't the coticule will do all the bevel work you need. I'm confused :confused1

Do you start with a thinner slurry than compared to what you would do to correct the bevel on the coticule?

I use a somewhat thick slurry just to make sure. I'm sure you can get away with thin slurry depending on the cutting speed of your coticule. Honestly for how short a dilucot takes I just start heavy and dilute with a little more water than normal.

If you are doing nothing but sharpening new razors, then a chosera is not needed. Ebay specials with microchips or other issues then the chosera is indispensable.

I just don't like having to deal with constantly refreshing heavy slurry on the coticule to set bevels and like to jump straight into the dilucot coming off the chosera.

Top Bottom