What's new

I hate to say it....but i'm giving up on MWF..... :-(

The first puck of MWF I tried worked fine. The second wouldn't lather no matter what I tried. I regretted giving up on it but there are so many other products available that work well without the frustration. Now it's nothing but a distant memory and I don't miss it at all.

Send all unwanted "FAT" my way and I will make it look like this. I love everything about MWF.

$Photo1078.jpg

Soak the puck in water.
Use a drier brush to load.
Load longer.

I gave up on it once. Then decided to give it a second chance. On the second chance I have soaked the puck each time, and I've gotten great lather each time. I'll never turn back now. Just soak the puck just like you would a brush. I let it sit underwater the whole time I'm in the shower. Then I load the crap out of a moist brush, not a wet brush. It's much easier to add a little water at a time as needed.

Try one last thing...

pick it up and use it as a shave stick. It was the only thing that worked for me.

I was going to say the same thing. Getting good lather with MWF isn't dependent on brush or water, it's (almost) *always* due to not enough product getting loaded. The stuff is slick enough that once you start to get even the tiniest amount of foam on the surface, it starts to prevent the brush from picking up more product, and gives weak, foamy lather.

Leave your face dripping wet, rub the flat surface of the MWF puck on your face in a circular motion for about 30 seconds, then take your wet brush to your face. You should have gobs of thick lather. (probably too thick - you'll likely find you have to dip your brush to add water a couple of times.)

i can't understand the love of the scent. it's a mild soapy smell, nothing special, in fact, at times when lathered on my face i feel like it reminds me of a interesting (not in a good way) boiled porcine scent. sometimes i get that smell, sometimes i don't notice, but it's not there with any other soaps for me...
+1
I agree here. To me, its almost scentless. I do however get a great shave/lather, but the scent is meh. YMMV big-time on this one.

i can't understand the love of the scent. it's a mild soapy smell, nothing special, in fact, at times when lathered on my face i feel like it reminds me of a interesting (not in a good way) boiled porcine scent. sometimes i get that smell, sometimes i don't notice, but it's not there with any other soaps for me...

It's mild but not that mild. I shaved an hour ago and I can still smell it on my face (I used an unscented aftershave).

Maybe just leave it for a couple of weeks.
Pick it up some day.
Don't worry, just have fun.
You'll be surprised.

MWF is one the soaps that smells your fear and acts accordingly :)

I came to the same conclusion. The fat is the most overrated grooming product I have ever used. I have the Kent version from their eBay store and it was dry and cracked. Thinking this was the issue I milled it and packed it into an Anchor Hocking bowl. It made zero difference. I love theirceramic bowl so I went ahead bought it so as to get a newer cake. No deal. I used both distilled and filtered drinking water. Same results. It just doesn't work like it should. I have no time for it when AOS, Tabac, and D.R. Harris are a mouse click away.

Cheers, Todd

I love MWF, but the scent is nothing to write home about. It smells like wet sheep. But it is very simple to lather. I can do a 3 pass shave with a Wee Scot.

I came to the same conclusion. The fat is the most overrated grooming product I have ever used.

...keep in mind, it's a $10 puck of soap. i think why people rave and go on and on about it, is when you get the lather technique down, it's a great product and a "best bang for the buck" product, given it's price point and lifecycle of it (it lasts a long time).

Sometimes I wonder if the chinese are not replicating MWF soap, I have tried it under very different conditions (water, brush, cold, hot) and never had a problem.

Who knows? Maybe I am the one with the adulterated product.

Love the soap. As far as the scent goes, I, too, get faint whiffs all day long. My car will also retain the smell, believe it or not, as I get in and out about 20 times a day.

i cannot get a good lather from MWF. i'm wondering if it's a hard water thing but with every other soap i have i get no problems.
Here's a tip you probably haven't heard before: stop treating MWF like a regular soap. MWF has a fairly unique composition, so don't expect the lather to come out looking like that of the other soaps too. Somewhat airy and fine-bubbly lather is how MWF looks; you can get it to the smooth meringue state of virtually any other soap or cream, but it will take—in my experience—noticably more water. However, whether you can shave with that kind of lather is for you to find out. It could very well be that the lather MWF makes and what you need to put on your face for a comfortable or ergonomically easy shave are incompatible; it certainly is in my case. Then you have no choice but to move on.

Alternatively, add a small nugget of cream (a pea's worth is about right) to the lather. This will stabilise matters sufficiently to form the smooth meringue in a relatively dryer state, and thus suit your shaving needs more.

But the important bit is still to realise that MWF is not exactly like other soaps.

OK, I had the same problem. If you want advice from another newb, then read one. I really wanted to love this soap, as everybody seems to love it as well. Here is Mantic59's video on using MWF http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/18/_MGLi_m9n_s

But what I did different was... soak the puck with water for 10 minutes; my brush was damp, not wet; in filling my brush, I pressed extra into the puck and did it for a longer period of time, a good minute +; and then when making lather in my bowl, I used less water than with normal soaps.

I got an incredibly thick and rich lather.

Persistence was key, trying again instead of quitting. And yes, I'd tried on at least 4 other occasions to get a decent lather from it, and ended up getting something else out for my lather - a cream or another soap - and mixing that in with the lackluster MWF lather.

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

I knew you'd be along soon. You are the one who put me on this technique, I was ready to put it on the BST until I tried it your way. Now I do ALL my soaps the same way. It just works better faster.

Here too, except those soaps that I've already got stuck in a bowl from using them in the "traditional" manner.

Top Bottom