What's new

I Forgot How Wonderful My Fatboy Is

I couldn’t agree with you more. I have three Fatboys in my display case and one in my regular rotation. Absolutely wonderful razors. Luckily for us, the Fatboy is readily available on eBay in excellent condition.

IMG_0324.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, why can they just bring back the old Gillettes? I pulled out my old Fatboy and what a great shave!

Because some Rocket Scientist Genius decided to destroy, or scrape all the Stamping Dies to make GREAT RAZORS. So the Fatboy, Slim, super speed, Tecks and real BRASS Chrome Plated Razors are history.

P & G aka Proctor & Gamble is owner of Gillette, I am sure Gillette it minor revenue income compared to other P & G Lines.

I saw the title and instantly thought of the Carnac the Magnificent.

Holds envelop up to his head and says, "Things I wish my dad would say to me..." then opens the letter and reads "I Forgot How Wonderful My Fatboy Is"

Carnac_the_Magnificent.jpg

I'm not going to be able resist getting myself a Fatboy any longer. I have never heard a bad word spoken about this razor. I never thought of myself as an adjustable guy and have always resisted. But I'm weakening fast!

My birthday is coming, so I'm leaning strongly in favor of a made-to-order Razor Emporium Fatboy in the Prospector theme, which is a rhodium/gold combination. They can match your birth year, so a 1959 for me. Not cheap, but I can't save it all for the nursing homes!😂

I'm not going to be able resist getting myself a Fatboy any longer. I have never heard a bad word spoken about this razor. I never thought of myself as an adjustable guy and have always resisted. But I'm weakening fast!

My birthday is coming, so I'm leaning strongly in favor of a made-to-order Razor Emporium Fatboy in the Prospector theme, which is a rhodium/gold combination. They can match your birth year, so a 1959 for me. Not cheap, but I can't save it all for the nursing homes!😂

That’s steep! You could probably get two Fatboys online or here on the BST and send them to Back Roads Gold to be re-plated for the same price of the Razor Emporium option. Just something to think about.

No guarantee the replica will shave like the real deal. You should look for a vintage Fatboy in excellent condition. Definitely worth the coin. I love mine. I had one a long time ago that I loved but traded away. Pretty much as soon as I had done that, I wished I hadn't.

The one I currently own I found in the wild, and after I found it, I vowed to never sell it.

No guarantee the replica will shave like the real deal. You should look for a vintage Fatboy in excellent condition. Definitely worth the coin. I love mine. I had one a long time ago that I loved but traded away. Pretty much as soon as I had done that, I wished I hadn't.

The one I currently own I found in the wild, and after I found it, I vowed to never sell it.
These are not replica's, they're real vintage Fatboy's. They buy them in as-is condition, and when you order it, they revamp it and replate the razor in the finish of your choice. They have a very good reputation for bringing these old Gillette's back to like-new condition. Of course that doesn't come cheap.

They have a very good reputation for bringing these old Gillette's back to like-new condition.
Use the forum search tool regarding their reputation before you pull the trigger. I’m not implying anything, but the search button is always your friend, no matter who the seller is.

These are not replica's, they're real vintage Fatboy's. They buy them in as-is condition, and when you order it, they revamp it and replate the razor in the finish of your choice. They have a very good reputation for bringing these old Gillette's back to like-new condition. Of course that doesn't come cheap.
Oh ok. Sorry. I misunderstood.

That’s steep! You could probably get two Fatboys online or here on the BST and send them to Back Roads Gold to be re-plated for the same price of the Razor Emporium option. Just something to think about.
No doubt, it isn't cheap.

But you're paying for more than just the re-plating. It's the labor. The whole razor is taken apart and a then a full rebuild is done. They change whatever parts need to be replaced and even repaint the numbers. It's essentially a brand new razor when finished. He has some videos out on his revamp process.

You might still say it's to much and I get it. My eyes watered when I first saw the price to! But the more I look at it, the more comfortable I'm getting with it.

(sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread)

That’s way too high. Shop around a little.

That’s way too high. Shop around a little.
Well, just a guess, but if you break it down, he probably buys the Fatboy for 30 or 40 bucks, and then puts 2 hrs (maybe more) of labor into it, breaking it down, rebuilding it, painting the numbers, plating and polishing it and whatever parts are needed and I'd say your easily into the $200 range.

Now whether that's worth it to you is the question.

I was inspired by this thread to use my BRG-refurbished Gillette 195 ("Fatboy") this morning. I used it on #7 and it was quite a nice shave! To me it has a very similar feel to the Slim. These were definitely quality razors.

AA1BE77B-49AC-4437-AAED-7CEBD6E0EA88_1_105_c.jpeg

What a coincidence.

Jus a day ago, I dug up my Fatboy from the shave box only to find it needed a lot of Wd40 to get working again.

It's bruised and beaten indeed. Let's say it's got character.
Once clean and lightly oiled, it should be ready to go for tomorrows shave.

But you're paying for more than just the re-plating. It's the labor. The whole razor is taken apart and a then a full rebuild is done. They change whatever parts need to be replaced and even repaint the numbers. It's essentially a brand new razor when finished. He has some videos out on his revamp process.
There are many people (I am one) who feel it is better to NOT take them apart since they are press fit and crimped. They were never designed to come apart again after that. You can usually straighten and align any parts that may have been bent without dismantling them.

Top Bottom