What's new

I find this hard to believe

[SI3]I have always thought something is fishy about those auctions. UNbelievable prices for items both rare and common over and over again.
Lots of other sellers have clear, well-lit pictures, and good descriptions. [/SIE]

Last edited by a moderator:
CFM even described the razor properly. His pics are great. There is paint loss on the tip. It's a common flare red tip super speed. no case. It's a $20 razor at best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gil...URouN8yrgfQqRur1xyr6M%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Look, I've bought a razor off of CFM and GG too. They sometimes have something hard to find. I understood the premium I was putting out.

But a common Red Tip for over $100 + shipping???

You can't blame the seller for this one.

I know we don't like talking about pricing here - for a good reason. But I don't want any of our new members to get carried away in auctions like this one. You can easily get the range of prices by searching ebay and clicking on 'solds'. take the average cost, toss out the highs and lows. Don't let your heart guide your vintage razor purchases. Patience and perseverance will reward you.

-jim

I disagre. That is easily a $25-30 razor. The doors are very shiny.

I agree this is a little crazy, but if you have been watching the bay you will know that all vintage collectable shaving items have been jumping up in price at quite the pace. In my opinion, there are two positives to this. First is that it might make it worthwhile to sell all those vintage gems that haven't seen the light of day because they are being hidden from the wifey. Second, if people are only doing searches for "vintage", it can open up some opportunities for decent prices for some more modern gear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281228752106

Did you scroll down to other razors sold?
Vintage 1928 Gold Gillette Cavalier Old Type Safety Razor Set NOS Blade Box Case (#271343650195)US $855.00

Now that's crazy.

Did you scroll down to other razors sold?
Vintage 1928 Gold Gillette Cavalier Old Type Safety Razor Set NOS Blade Box Case (#271343650195)US $855.00

Now that's crazy.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

something fishy there. i find it strange the same buyer is bidding on the items from that seller. i used to sell a lot on ebay and i am very familiar with it all. its very possible the seller could be selling to a scammer also who is using a stolen account and doesnt care what they bid for these items. i have personally had that happen and was contacted by ebay about it warning me not to sell them to the buyer (kind of figured this to begin with) i have also known of sellers who will do this to their own sales to get the feedback and be able to list items at crazy prices or to drive up the prices.

These went for~75$ in 1928. 1928 was before the start of the depression. You could have bought a 1928 Chevy for that much then in Dec '29.
Could be worth it!

Last edited:
something fishy there. i find it strange the same buyer is bidding on the items from that seller. i used to sell a lot on ebay and i am very familiar with it all. its very possible the seller could be selling to a scammer also who is using a stolen account and doesnt care what they bid for these items. i have personally had that happen and was contacted by ebay about it warning me not to sell them to the buyer (kind of figured this to begin with) i have also known of sellers who will do this to their own sales to get the feedback and be able to list items at crazy prices or to drive up the prices.
I agree, i just dont think that a buyer will spend that much for a Red tip. CFM most likely has a connection that involves a few hired buyers to jack up the prices and if they lose they are still buying advertisement for CFM in the form of the auction watching and involvement. Why hasn't he ever made an effort to join B&B and set the record straight, i am sure he knows that we are aware of his tactics and we criticize him.

CFM likely had his fill of B&B back when his "family recipe" soap came under fire. I know I had my fill of him.

I sold my cavalier on the bay with two faint hairlines in the handle for $300 a week ago. I really don't think 6-800 for a cavalier set is insane depending on the handle and what the condition of the case and accessories are like. It is my personal opinion and nothing more that something is fishy with a lot of those auctions, but I can't prove anything, so I just ignore him and his prices.

I think the seller's description is very fair, even rating the razor as "b/c condition". Plus, in his text, he clearly mentions the surface scratches, the brassing, and the damage to the red paint. No blame on the seller for the description. If something else is going on, it must be behind the scenes.

The one really conspicuous thing in my mind is that the guy never has an off day. We have all had things go up there and underperform from time to time, yet virtually to a lot all of his stuff sells vastly above set market prices. Has he sold a travel tech yet? That would be funny.

I agree, i just dont think that a buyer will spend that much for a Red tip. CFM most likely has a connection that involves a few hired buyers to jack up the prices and if they lose they are still buying advertisement for CFM in the form of the auction watching and involvement. Why hasn't he ever made an effort to join B&B and set the record straight, i am sure he knows that we are aware of his tactics and we criticize him.

I remember when CFM made his debut and the talk about him was almost the same then as it is now.

I was convinced he was re-plating as the quality of near pristine razors seems endless. I later found out that he was a broker for several items that he has on his site. At one time he even posted that he could no longer accept consignments.

I have voiced my concern over the NOS blade angle that he uses and to this day it bothers me. That NOS statement implies you are getting a razor that is in such great shape it has some of the original blades still left.

I would guess that his sales are legit as his auctions are very easy to find due to the nature of the photography and the quality of the razors. If you notice in the description he has additional wording that shows up. It will say something like, " This Fatboy is great for the new wet-shaver, Don't you deserve the best ? " No doubt about it this guy has marketing and photography down to a science.

I think there was something about him several years ago regarding shaving soap he was selling. I don't remember the details,but I do think he came on for a short time to discuss the soap.

I feel the people that buy from him do so because they don't do their homework. They also get caught up in his mystique, it's tempting to think you are getting something 50+ years old in many cases that looks like it just came off the assembly line.

Let's face it he has 100% feedback and that does mean something. If he was doing something illegal I think he would have been caught. It would be interesting to create a poll and see how many members have purchased a razor from CFM

Top Bottom