What's new

I find this hard to believe

That is crazy and no case or papers, he is literately hypnotizing innocent people somehow....he cant get me to give in though, i resist.

proxy.php

The paint on my Redtip blows that razor away but the finish is slightly not as pretty and I paid under 40 for mine and that was high I thought but I wanted that razor :)

I gave him full credit for doing the right thing, I even stated that I have bought from him in the past. I did not disrespect CFM.

-jim
I didn't read it like you were disrespecting that person. You were just giving a fair warning to newer members who might be swayed by his pictures and wording. (I think members here get a small sense of trust because this site has so many great members who are always trying to help each other out. Some may transfer that trust to others in the wet shaving community like this seller.). Personally, I think you did newer members a good service alerting them to this kind of chicanery.

I agree, i just dont think that a buyer will spend that much for a Red tip. CFM most likely has a connection that involves a few hired buyers to jack up the prices and if they lose they are still buying advertisement for CFM in the form of the auction watching and involvement. Why hasn't he ever made an effort to join B&B and set the record straight, i am sure he knows that we are aware of his tactics and we criticize him.

I thought at one time he was a member here, peddling soap. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I always love these threads. It starts with a "warning" framed in the classic "with all due respect" tone followed by the conspiracy theorists. It is like there is a template or something.

I know that over the years I have sold all types of items on eBay, and one thing I have learned is that people are unpredictable on what they will pay for an item. Some things that I have listed didn't sell for nearly what I would have hoped they would sell for, and other items surprise me by far exceeding what I was wanting.

Items with low bid numbers seem to sell for less than items what a lot of bid activity, and must be due to the lure, or illusion that the item is "too good" to let go . People tend to put themselves in a bidding war, and lose touch with reality. I guess it's that "need to be a winner", "get over on the other guy", or a "me first" mind set.

It also leaves me wondering why someone would bid up an item in one auction, and three auctions listed down there is the same item selling as "Buy it Now" for less with "free shipping" to boot, I see it all the time. Go figure?

For myself as a seller, I would welcome those type of bidders all day long, and as a buyer, I know that what I don't win on today, will be listed somewhere again next week.

To me the seller in question at the start of this post invests the time in his auctions with good pictures, which adds to the "curb appeal" of his items, as well as a clearly written (in html... curb appeal again) descriptions.

I don't think there is a shilling conspiracy going on here, or any thing else, other than salesmanship going on.

Buyers only need to restrain themselves... not for there own sake, but they are inflating the realistic values that the rest of us will end up paying down the road on that site.

I don't think there is a shilling conspiracy going on here, or any thing else, other than salesmanship going on.

If that's all it is then there's a couple people out there with very large amounts of disposable income that have no problem sniping his auctions with a "price in not an option" attitude.

I disagre. That is easily a $25-30 razor. The doors are very shiny.

He is good at getting large areas to reflect white, and slightly overexposing those areas, giving the illusion of incredible shine.
Maybe he has a honking great diffused light of some sort. Whatever it is, it has paid for itself many times over.

Some of the buyers on Ebay are insane and not just when it comes to razors. I recently sold a used Milt Sparks single stack 45 ACP magazine carrier on Ebay and it went for almost double the price of a brand new one and they are still being produced. CFM is just more skilled at attracting these insane buyers than a lot of other sellers.

an item is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it. just because the masses won't pay top dollar doesn't mean the item doesn't have that value to the ultimate auction winner.

Ah, but a true market is only efficient (and therefore accurate in the pricing model) if buyers and sellers both have reasonable information sets. $115 for an average red tip indicates someone has a less than complete information set - the buyer.

That said, I've got a pretty sad looking Fatboy I ended up with after a trade. At these prices, I can get $200 for it! :thumbup1:

Ah, but a true market is only efficient (and therefore accurate in the pricing model) if buyers and sellers both have reasonable information sets. $115 for an average red tip indicates someone has a less than complete information set - the buyer.

That said, I've got a pretty sad looking Fatboy I ended up with after a trade. At these prices, I can get $200 for it! :thumbup1:

then sell it!

regarding your comments about a 'true market' - we are talking about ebay, not the NYSE

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Judging from the winning bidder's recent history it looks like someone deep in the throes of RAD who's using a sniper, and maybe hasn't got the best judgement on what to spend. This same person has won most of CFM's recent auctions, including a loose Laurel for more than $80, a Ronson for more than $200, and a Damaskeene for over $100. Hopefully he/she can afford it...

My Ronson, unused with papers the exact set that sold for over $200.00 I bought for $40.00. I thought that was too much but it has blades, and they are damn hard to find.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I bought a 1920 Bigfellow from CFM, I paid a premium for it, but it was Gold and you don't see a lot of the gold ones. Really I can't complain there description was spot on, to me it was worth it.

I bought a 1920 Bigfellow from CFM, I paid a premium for it, but it was Gold and you don't see a lot of the gold ones. Really I can't complain there description was spot on, to me it was worth it.
I had a contrary experience, he sold me a Big Fellow in bad condition. He then refunded my money rapidly without any issues.

He does have a good feedback, many others agree with you.$cfm.jpg

Top Bottom