What's new

I find this hard to believe

Eh, I've quit using Ebay except for items where I need a national/international audience. The feedback system is a joke, the fees are approaching loan shark rates, and they are actively trying to chase individual sellers (who built the site) from their site.

I understand the pain some feel that the site is driving prices up on vintage razors, but we don't have to buy them. Wait a bit, it will fall out, and prices will be back where they should be.

When I bid on Ebay, I pick the highest price point I will pay and enter that, if I win, I win. If I lose, oh well, someone wanted it more than me. When I sell, nowadays I usually use a fixed price format in the middle range of where the item should sell. I've had auction items go for crazy prices, but I've pretty much given away stuff as well. I generally deal locally now, shipping and Ebay fees have risen so much in the last few years that it's tough for the individual who sells a few items a year to do business profitably on Ebay.

When I bid on Ebay, I pick the highest price point I will pay and enter that, if I win, I win. If I lose, oh well, someone wanted it more than me.

I picked up a Red Tip the end of last month for a buy now price $20 + $2 to ship Yeah it needed to be sanitized and with dab of Maas she shined up like a new nickel & the the original paint is 98% in tact. Let's see I saved $98.20 well I'm very happy. So rest assured my fellow B&B members I will never pay that much for any razor.

$100 or more is a lot for a Red Tip, but after checking ebay history I see CFM's wasn't the only Red Tip to hit that mark. Looks like the demand for these has pushed the price quite a bit. $35-$40 not an unusual asking price.

Funny though, the Slim can still be had for under $20 on ebay. It seems immune to inflation for some reason.

I haven't seen too many at that price, I just did a search and most are $50+. maybe your ebay search prowess exceeds mine!

I have nothing against CFM, the guy is a master a what he does on eBay. But, even he has to be shaking his head and laughing at some buyers lack of restraint. Nice thing for him is he gets to laugh all the way to the Bank.

Did the buyer actually think the razor was solid gold?
Haha, surely he did. And hey, it comes with NOS blades as usual.

The wording of the description is, as always just precious:
Imperfections: -0- None worthy of mention
So there seem to be imperfections, but "not worthy" of mention. That says more about the seller as he would like to say about himself...

Nonetheless, as long as he keeps selling his stuff there seem to be people willing to part with their money for the merchandise and colorful wording he offers. The question is now, how do I convince those buyers they'd better send their money to my PayPal account? :001_rolle

How about this 24K Gold Tech for $600:

Wow! Okay, that's got me scratching my head.
He must have connections with some deep pocketed folk, in the same way an art dealer builds professional relationships with wealthy clientele that would trust his expertise.

If you search the 'bay for "NOS Gillette razor", you'll find that throwing in a NOS pack of blades is the justification sellers are using to put "NOS" in the auction listing. I got burned on this once when RAD first took me. I'm much more careful to fully read the description now. Besides, thanks to the sabbatical, I am happily into 2014 without looking at Ebay!

Not condoning the move on the part of the sellers, but if you're going to drag a vendor our behind the woodshed on that, you've got quite a bit of work ahead of you.

Do we have a "navigating razor auctions on Ebay for newbies/RADdicts" thread somewhere?

While I despise what he does, his stuff should simply be avoided. There are opportunities on ebay to buy from sellers whose feedback is not extensive and whose pictures are sometimes a little fuzzy. It was this that landed me a cased 1953 President that turned out to be in minty condition for around $80.

This is my favorite Bon Mot:

"BEWARE of "COPY CAT Sellers" who attempt to Copy Our Photographs, Backgrounds & Text~There is NO Other CedarFurnitureMan ~
This IS the Only Place to get CFM Quality Razors in there Genuine Gillette Condition!!
So PLEASE Do not be Fooled by "Lookalike" Sellers with descriptions full of Empty Promises~
Shop HERE, where the razors are Genuine & Customer Service IS Our Top Priority!"

I'm tempted to ape his formula just to annoy him.

Last edited:
Things are going crazy on the bay for DE razors in general. Fatboys that don't even claim to be in top condition are going for near $90.

wow - I stand corrected - this is unbelievable. I wonder if the buyer thought it was solid 24K gold and not the couple of layers of molecules that Gillette plated.

-jim
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom