What's new

I finally got a boar brush to work well.

Before today I've never had a good lathering result with a boar. I've tried to break them in, I really have. I've tried being patient. I've tried soaking for 3 days and rubbing on a towel. No joy. They all feel acceptable on my face in different ways, this is purely a lathering issue.

Well today I got a great result. Fast loading (from Arko grated into a mug), and fast creation of plenty of rich lather that didn't break down during the shave.

Can you guess which brush did it?
Hint: it's the first time I've used it.

Some of you will see the plot twist a mile off. But don't fall for the red herring.

IMG_20230731_175944.jpg

Ok @rajagra2, I'll bite. My guess is the smallest fishy on the far right side. Looks like a well used loved brush that you are not the first owner of.
Correct. I honestly don't know how it came into my posession. It may have been my grandfather's and remained in the family home. I've been reluctant to use it since it didn't look promising. But I was desperate to experience the broken-in magic and tried it as my last resort. And bingo!

Correct. I honestly don't know how it came into my posession. It may have been my grandfather's and remained in the family home. I've been reluctant to use it since it didn't look promising. But I was desperate to experience the broken-in magic and tried it as my last resort. And bingo!
You've got some other good looking brushes there...don't give up on them. They just need the same amount of tender loving care. Enjoy the journey!

You've got some other good looking brushes there...don't give up on them. They just need the same amount of tender loving care. Enjoy the journey!
I'll keep using the Omega and horn handled ones, I'd really like them to work. Maybe also put the whole lot through regular soaking/drying cycles.

To be fair the big Lider works pretty well if you put a week's worth of soap in it, and the mixed bristle-badger, (the red herring trap that I set) gives usable results for a pass or two.

Top Bottom