What's new

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Please Help

I would buck the trend and vote Bic Chrome Platinum.

Not quite as sharp as feather straight out of the package, but after the first shave notably sharper than feather after one shave, and pretty much the same as feather was to start. Keeps that hyper sharp edge longer, and shaves smoother to boot.

I also have the BIC Chrome Platinum out of the sample packs but my technique is still so bad that don’t want to use it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have the BIC Chrome Platinum out of the sample packs but my technique is still so bad that don’t want to use it yet.

Give them a shot. They're not expensive to replace if you do end up liking them, and they really helped me out of a similar, albeit somewhat less pronounced situation.

Hello,Maximo! I also have coarse hair.
Going through my sampler, i'll tell you - in order- what blade worked best for me in my Merkur 34C.

Perma Sharp Super
Gillette Platinum
Persona Platinum
Voskhod
Astra
Rapira Lux
Supermax Blue Diamond
Wilkinson Sword- German (although i tried this among the first, while i did not knew what i was doing)

As you can see, sharper means better in the 34C and Voskhod blades are NOT sharp. They have a great fan base, because they are comfortable, but for coarse hair they are not the best, by far.
I usually only use creams,because the soaps are pretty expensive in Romania (except maybe Proraso) and i don't do much preparation - I don't always shower before a shave, just wash my face.
I still got sharper blades to try, like Astor Bic, Pol Iridium or Feathers, but i will stick with the Permasharps, for now as they work best in my R41 also.
I now get very DFS and i'm more than content with my progress after 3 months.

My advice for you:
- Use a sharper blade,but a coated one.
-Don't go ATG where you can't - especially on your upper chin. i have the same problem with irritation there, but since i stopped ATG, it got much better. i can go ATG in only some areas.
- Go XTG while stretching your skin, but not to much stretching because you will cause ingrown hairs.
- Merkur 34C has a special angle - more shallow than others.
- Most of all: have fun!

Last edited:
Hello,Maximo! I also have coarse hair.
Going through my sampler, i'll tell you - in order- what blade worked best for me in my Merkur 34C.

Perma Sharp Super
Gillette Platinum
Persona Platinum
Voskhod
Astra
Rapira Lux
Supermax Blue Diamond
Wilkinson Sword- German (although i tried this among the first, while i did not knew what i was doing)

As you can see, sharper means better in the 34C and Voskhod blades are NOT sharp. They have a great fan base, because they are comfortable, but for coarse hair they are not the best, by far.
I usually only use creams,because the soaps are pretty expensive in Romania (except maybe Proraso) and i don't do much preparation - I don't always shower before a shave, just wash my face.
I still got sharper blades to try, like Astor Bic, Pol Iridium or Feathers, but i will stick with the Permasharps, for now as they work best in my R41 also.
I now get very DFS and i'm more than content with my progress after 3 months.

My advice for you:
- Use a sharper blade,but a coated one.
-Don't go ATG where you can't - especially on your upper chin. i have the same problem with irritation there, but since i stopped ATG, it got much better. i can go ATG in only some areas.
- Go XTG while stretching your skin, but not to much stretching because you will cause ingrown hairs.
- Merkur 34C has a special angle - more shallow than others.
- Most of all: have fun!

Hello Backmarker,

Thanks for your suggestion!

Out of the pack that you mention I believe right now I only have
Gillette Platinum
Astra
Voskhod
Personna lab blue

Wilkinson actually has been my worst shave ever. But I think it’s bc of my technique.

Thanks

I wouldn't call Gillette Platinum sharp, certainly not as sharp as Astra. When you learn your technique and condition your skin it certainly feels sharper than later on. Practice makes perfect.

i don't know @naughtilus...i find that the Gillette always clears more stubble than the Astra's and i used at least 10 of each,by now. but YMMV. the thing is now i'm stuck with about 30 Astras and 30 Voskhods that are now low on my list :)) oh,well. il' make a PIF in the future to some guys here.

i don't know @naughtilus...i find that the Gillette always clears more stubble than the Astra's and i used at least 10 of each,by now. but YMMV. the thing is now i'm stuck with about 30 Astras and 30 Voskhods that are now low on my list :)) oh,well. il' make a PIF in the future to some guys here.

They are all good blades. I would use them and enjoy my shaves.

Hi Maximo
I was having the same problems as you. I started DE shaving in February this year and have a pretty coarse beard. I need to shave every day because it grows back so fast , even when I was using my Gillette fusion. I started with a Muhle R89 and I got bad shaves, where it looked like I did not shave and then I would get a lot of irritation and razor bumps. I never got razor bumps when using a Gillette fusion. So then I got a Muhle R41 and still I could not get a good shave. Same problems. It seemed not to cut my hairs cleanly
Then I stumbled upon the Van Der Hagen long handle. It is a cheap razor and I believe it is also sold under the Weishi name. Now I don’t know what it is but I attribute it to maybe the long handle, since it Is kind of the same size as a Gillette Fusion and does not feel awkward in my hands, but I have been getting damn fine shaves since using it. I’ve even put the same blade in my Muhle razors and shaved half my face with the Muhle and the other half with the VDH and the VDH gives me a fine shave after the first pass while the others do not even come close. I get no irritation and no razor bumps/ingrowns.
So far I have used Astra SP, personna lab blues, personna red, Polsiver and now using Permasharp super blades the permasharps have been the best for me with Polsilvers second.
I have only been doing 2 passes WTG because I figured ATG and XTG might also have attributed to the ingrown hairs. And with just 2 ATG passes with the VDH razor I get a damn fine shave.
I have been using Cosmo soap, Muhle shaving cream and even V76 shave cream, which is non lathering and I need to use if I am in a rush and don’t have time to whip up a lather.
Now I am no veteran but this has been my experience. I would try the VDH long handle. It is cheap enough to pick up and give it a try

Last edited:
From what I read is a matter of razor angle.

I recommend Gillette Nacet, sharp but smooth blades and a more aggressive razor than the Tech.

Hi Maximo
I was having the same problems as you. I started DE shaving in February this year and have a pretty coarse beard. I need to shave every day because it grows back so fast , even when I was using my Gillette fusion. I started with a Muhle R89 and I got bad shaves, where it looked like I did not shave and then I would get a lot of irritation and razor bumps. I never got razor bumps when using a Gillette fusion. So then I got a Muhle R41 and still I could not get a good shave. Same problems. It seemed not to cut my hairs cleanly
Then I stumbled upon the Van Der Hagen long handle. It is a cheap razor and I believe it is also sold under the Weishi name. Now I don’t know what it is but I attribute it to maybe the long handle, since it Is kind of the same size as a Gillette Fusion and does not feel awkward in my hands, but I have been getting damn fine shaves since using it. I’ve even put the same blade in my Muhle razors and shaved half my face with the Muhle and the other half with the VDH and the VDH gives me a fine shave after the first pass while the others do not even come close. I get no irritation and no razor bumps/ingrowns.
So far I have used Astra SP, personna lab blues, personna red, Polsiver and now using Permasharp super blades the permasharps have been the best for me with Polsilvers second.
I have only been doing 2 passes WTG because I figured ATG and XTG might also have attributed to the ingrown hairs. And with just 2 ATG passes with the VDH razor I get a damn fine shave.
I have been using Cosmo soap, Muhle shaving cream and even V76 shave cream, which is non lathering and I need to use if I am in a rush and don’t have time to whip up a lather.
Now I am no veteran but this has been my experience. I would try the VDH long handle. It is cheap enough to pick up and give it a try

Interesting! Thanks!

This reminds me a lot of my first few months of this. So frustrating. For awhile, I was even thinking I might have bionic whiskers because no matter what blade I used, I still had irritation and rough spots. (Of course it’s ridiculous to think there are some whiskers that are tougher than blade.)

I’m still a newb, and can’t really give valuable advice like the many others here who are, but what finally got me over the hump was when I tried a slant razor. It was like magic. From the first use and onward, I’ve been doing quite well. Oddly, after using the slant for several weeks, I went back and tried a standard Razor and to my surprise I got great results like never before. I don’t know what happened in my case really, but I was frustrated just like you and my whiskers are also coarse, but hang in there. It’s worth it.

@Maximo77w
here's an idea: if you really think it's somehow impossible for you to get a clean DE shave, go to a barber. Find an old barber in your city and tell him to give you a proper DE shave. When you will see the great results, you will be encouraged to keep going.

Honestly it seems like you are bouncing all over the place. For me I focused on one brand of blade and one brand of soap and developed my technique. After that I started experimenting with other blades and soaps.

What works for me :
1. Wet face
2. Apply thin coat of any hair conditioner. (holds moisture adds slickness)
3. Apply thin coat of facial lotion.
4. Apply thin coat of shave stick. (I use ARKO)
5. Apply lather scrubbing in thoroughly and coating your face
6. Take shower leaving as much of the lather on your face as possible.
7. At the last part of your shower massage in the lather well.
8. Leave the residual slickness on your face as a preshave.
9. Add another thin coat of hair conditioner, lather , and shave with warm water (to start with).
10. Rince with your normal cold water routine.
11. I use an anti-inflammatory spray : 6oz spray bottle
4 325mg uncoated aspirin
fill the rest of the bottle with any witch hazel
12. Spray face and finish with alum.
13. I use Polsilver, Nacent, Permasharp, and Bic blades. Sharp does not mean dangerous but they make taking down multiple days of beard growth much easier.

Twenty seventh shave I loaded a Feather into my Tech. Super sharp but very smooth. I found Astras, Personna and the feathers to give "comfortable" shaves but found the Permasharp a little aggressive. The feather is probably going to be the best of the bunch but I'm only one shave in with it.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
A pre-shave might help. Pantene Hair Conditioner (!) for thick hair works for me, as does Head & Shoulders Conditioner.

Just wet your beard as you normally would, then take a dime-size blob of conditioner, spread it between your palms and rub it into your beard. Lather as usual.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom