What's new

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Please Help

Your welcome.

Take your time and use a DE when you feel like it.
dont get put off its a learning curve take your time use the de when you feel better . I have heard somewhere that mild razors prefer the sharper blades . looking at it if your tugging maybee your lifting off with out thinking about it and thats causing your problems . I would give your face a chance to recover then try a sharper blade .

So during my second attempt with a Personna blade which went much better than the first I was again getting drag/catching on the whiskers on my chin. I found stretching the skin by pulling faces and sticking out my chin stopped the drag/catching. I still have to use very short stroke while changing the blade angle on the WTG pass, but the XTG are a lot faster and easier.

Tons of great advice above!!

I would add just one other thought. Tabac is a great soap, but it might take more water than you are using to get sufficient glide. Adjusting your water: soap ratio may result in better glide and less irritation.

Man this wetshave makes me want to curse a lot. Worst part of it all is that I can’t let go of it. It’s like an addiction that I need to try until I get the perfect shave.

Yo me it’s like playing golf. You get some good shaves and you finally think you got it...for the next round having a horrible shave. This hobby pulls you in and when you finally think you got it, it rips your heart out and laughs at your face telling you to keep trying [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man this wetshave makes me want to curse a lot. Worst part of it all is that I can’t let go of it. It’s like an addiction that I need to try until I get the perfect shave.

oh he didn't .. oh he did .. he's joined the club just like every other wet shaver out there .
glad your not giving up yet .

Hello guys for some reason every shave just keeps getting worse. I honestly don’t know what I’m doing wrong. The dam chin area it’s just a dam nightmare again for me. I thought I had this but it just keeps getting worse.

The blade is just NOT GLIDING through the whiskers on my chin area. I swear I try not to put any pressure but the blade just does not glide through...I had to stop because I was already feeling burning on my face. After the “supposed” second WTG pass. I had to do another WTG pass because the blade just didn’t cut the hair.

Please tell me what I’m doing wrong. I’m just frustrated again with my coarse whiskers and really sensitive skin.

Is it because I’m using mild blades? I tried this time a Wilkinson Sword because it was supposed to be almost the same as a voskhod but either my technique is getting worse or I don’t know what.

You guys are probably tired of me which I would understand. I really just don’t know which direction to go or what I’m doing wrong but the burning of my chin is just depressing.

People tell me to try a fatip grande or feather blades but if I’m getting this much irritation and burning with mild blades and a mild razor I’m just really really scared to try an aggressive razor or blade and really destroy my face...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Either way I do want to thank all of you for the the help you’ve given me. I really really love this hobby and really am trying to do everything posible to just have a descent smooth and irritation free shave.

Sigh....

I've given my advice before so take it as you may.

I use straight razors every weekend so DEs should be child's play right no...

I've said it before and I'll say it again NOT every razor or blade suits everyone.

Those bumps look like it's caused by a razor pulling, tugging n not cutting properly. Also your razor seems to be quite mild that you need to go over the same spot too often.

You have gotten a great razor the new long comb, try a GSB or a BIC in it.

Good luck and happy shaves

Mawashi

A few things here Max. Techs are not great for for multi day growth even in the most experienced hands. Make your shaves closer together. And you need way sharper blades in a Tech, it is just too mild for multi day growth and a pretty dense beard (which you have). I would go Gillette Silver Blue or Feather. Feather in a tech is a beautiful thing. And don't be scared, it will be so much better than what is happening right now! If that still doesn't help try daily shaving, or possibly something with more aggression (superspeed, rocket, slim).

JM

• Apply REALLY COLD TOWEL on face and leave on for 1-2 min
o Take off lather with towel [What lather? When did it get there?]
• Apply Pre-shave Cream PREP Original
• Start 1st pass lather
Cold water or cold towel before shaving doesn't sound right.
Nor pleasant. :frown:
The whole 'no pressure' idea, I believe, is a fallacy. In comparison to using a cartridge razor and the pressure required to make one work, far less pressure is needed with a DE but you do still need some pressure.
Agreed. I even prefer blades that have been broken in with 10 or more shaves so that I can apply more pressure without razor burn afterwards.
Also, the notion of "let the weight of the razor do the work" doesn't make sense to me when razor masses can vary between 30 g and 130 g, or more.

A few things here Max. Techs are not great for for multi day growth even in the most experienced hands. Make your shaves closer together. And you need way sharper blades in a Tech, it is just too mild for multi day growth and a pretty dense beard (which you have). I would go Gillette Silver Blue or Feather. Feather in a tech is a beautiful thing. And don't be scared, it will be so much better than what is happening right now! If that still doesn't help try daily shaving, or possibly something with more aggression (superspeed, rocket, slim).

JM

Thanks for the suggestion Jer

I hope you get the hang of it. I have seen plenty of your posts struggling to get a good shave. May the shaving gods be with you :angel:

I just looked at your profile pic and you have heavy growth for sure. That will be a big part of the solution for you. Do you have any other razors Max? Or blades?

I just looked at your profile pic and you have heavy growth for sure. That will be a big part of the solution for you. Do you have any other razors Max? Or blades?

Yep, I have the old tech, merkur 34C, fatip grande, Muhle R41, a vintage Gillette new long comb, and gonna get the 6S soon.

Just to be clear I’m not crazy for having all these razors haha. The only one I’ve personally bought is the 34C. The old tech and fatip I got from a PIF by @Lair (thanks bud!). The Muhle R41, the vintage long comb, and the 6S I got for my birthday from wife and friends. [emoji2371]

Blades a basically have them all from sample packs.

You have a heavy beard and I’m guessing you are waiting too long in between shaves. I have a very tough beard myself, but I shave every day and it goes smoothly. If I skipped a day, I would experience the tugging that you describe.

Nice! That is a good start for sure. So techs more of a daily (maybe two) or second pass shaver, and always with a blade on the sharper end of the spectrum. Research specific blade and razor combinations.. some things just mesh so we'll together compared to others. Look up "best blade" threads, they are so often dead on (Feather in a Tech, Astra in Bakelight OCS, Personnas in 37c).

How many days growth do you prefer to shave?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Yo me it’s like playing golf. You get some good shaves and you finally think you got it...for the next round having a horrible shave. This hobby pulls you in and when you finally think you got it, it rips your heart out and laughs at your face telling you to keep trying [emoji848]

Think of it like an art. Its something that can be mastered but I'm sure even Rembrandt made mistakes and had inconsistencies in his work. Its something that takes time, dedication and patience.

As far as a Tech goes, I'd use one at 100 hours growth and would expect no issues. It would never be as efficient as a Fatip or MMOC, but it would get the job done all the same. My last shave with a Tech below.

I also have coarse and dense growth with, I think, fairly sensitive skin.

48 hours since last shave and back to 'just shaving', for the moment...

Post war tech/Fat handle. Fresh Feather.

Proraso Green.

Maggard synthetic.

Standard 3 pass++++ shave.

First pass N-S. Second pass S-N. Third pass directly ATG. No buffing at any point.

First clean up at and below my jawline, buffing ATG.

Second clean up pass below my jawline, buffing ATG.

Third clean up pass and back over my jawline at a 45° angle and buffing over my swirls.

Fourth clean up pass lol, 45° the opposite direction and buffing over my swirls.

In the end I needed to start all over again hahaha.

I have very comfortable skin and a very nice BBS shave, but I damn well better after that much work! Mild razors are just that mild. Easy on the skin but not what I'd call efficient. It was an enjoyable shave, its hard to dismiss that much comfort, but at the same time its maddeningly frustrating.

I'll use it again the next time I feel like whittling a Totem Pole...or something.

066556773a72d1908cd59a4b320f1fc5-totem-poles-native-art-jpg.892184

The amount of pressure I apply when using a Tech might frighten many people. That pressure is applied evenly to both cap and safety bar so that I can get as much efficiency as possible from it.

I'd expect the same shave at 100+ hours growth but the first pass might need to be done with shorter strokes to knock the growth down enough before starting in another direction.

Using my MMOC below. Notice its the 4th shave on that blade.

As said by John. Shaves 4 to 10 on a GEM PTFE are bliss.

I even prefer blades that have been broken in with 10 or more shaves so that I can apply more pressure without razor burn afterwards.

I didnt record my last shave here, but it was Monday evening or night. I dont remember.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

There is very little difference in the feel of the shave between my Tech, Grande or MMOC with a solid technique for each razor, only the efficiency level varies. I've used my Fatip Grande at almost 80 hours doing the same type of shave, a single buffing pass ATG without issue either, but the MMOC does it quicker and with more authority.

The pressure I apply with all my razors, DE and SE, I'm sure would shock many but its all in how and where that pressure is applied. I never apply pressure to the edge of the blade but I'll apply enough pressure to the cap of my Grande or MMOC to create a wave of skin ahead of the edge that rises to meet the edge. The edge contacts my skin with very little pressure but the cap may be pushed into my cheek or neck a 1/2" so that I can achieve the shallow angle I prefer.

A main point to this post is the fact that I've been using DE and SE razors for two years now, exclusively. In two more years you may find it all just as easy.

Top Bottom