What's new

I did it! Shaved with a straight for the first time

Turns out I'm a natural. Ambidextrous. Was able to use both hands like I been doing it all my life.
Part of that is because I was a boxer and trained to fight southpaw and conventional and switched when needed or saw a technical flaw.
Also trained to cast left handed for bass fishing. Write with a pen left handed. And a number of other things. I shoot pool lefty too.
For my first straight razor shave, it's not bad at all. It is BBS. I did cut myself one time. A small nick. So yeah there was blood.
I have one weeper on my neck. Other than that, it went much better than I thought.

The experience was far different from a double edge razor. The audible feedback was amazing.
The way the straight razor handled my jaw line was amazing. One pass where it would normally take two.
Getting around the chin was different, but its a hard spot for me even with a DE razor.
At first I wasn't using the correct blade angle. But when I figured that out, it was game ON.
I'm certain the next shave will be even better. But I probably don't have to do that again for a couple days because the shave is super close.

There is something different about straight razor shaving. It's alluring. I wouldn't say it's better than Safety razor shaving but it's different. More real. There is some strange gratification. As to the razors themselves, I'm of the opinion that there is no safety razor out there as beautiful and precise as some of the finer straight razors and there never will be. Hard to explain this experience. Today I shaved with one of the finest razors I've ever seen.

After I was done, I took a jewelers connoisseur cloth, dried it inside the scales and out, polished it up and just marveled at it for a minute or two and slipped her back in the suede pouch. I do not know if I'll ever use a double edge razor again. It was that good.

You straight razor guys were right.
Be well fellas,
S.A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you had a good shave. I felt the same way moving into straights.

Chin and even moreso upper lip are tricky with straights. I'm past a decade using a straight exclusively... I still skip the chin and upper lip frequently to speed things up if I'm testing a finish I'm not confident is sufficiently keen. Straights are pretty much the perfect way to shave if you like a goatee. I know a guy or two who (especially as beginners) would switch for a DE to do their upper lip though... as a WTG pass under the nose basically forces you to hold the razor at a 90* angle to the face and roll it out. If the razor is sharp enough, you can just go ATG there... but then you need to be careful to keep it taut/stretched... Also with ATG there's also the concern that if the razor snags and releases, you're slicing into your nose. Shorties do make this area a bit easier, as do the "stylist" 3/8" razors.

Turns out I'm a natural. Ambidextrous. Was able to use both hands like I been doing it all my life.
Part of that is because I was a boxer and trained to fight southpaw and conventional and switched when needed or saw a technical flaw.
Also trained to cast left handed for bass fishing. Write with a pen left handed. And a number of other things. I shoot pool lefty too.
For my first straight razor shave, it's not bad at all. It is BBS. I did cut myself one time. A small nick. So yeah there was blood.
I have one weeper on my neck. Other than that, it went much better than I thought.

The experience was far different from a double edge razor. The audible feedback was amazing.
The way the straight razor handled my jaw line was amazing. One pass where it would normally take two.
Getting around the chin was different, but its a hard spot for me even with a DE razor.
At first I wasn't using the correct blade angle. But when I figured that out, it was game ON.
I'm certain the next shave will be even better. But I probably don't have to do that again for a couple days because the shave is super close.

There is something different about straight razor shaving. It's alluring. I wouldn't say it's better than Safety razor shaving but it's different. More real. There is some strange gratification. As to the razors themselves, I'm of the opinion that there is no safety razor out there as beautiful and precise as some of the finer straight razors and there never will be. Hard to explain this experience. Today I shaved with one of the finest razors I've ever seen.

After I was done, I took a jewelers connoisseur cloth, dried it inside the scales and out, polished it up and just marveled at it for a minute or two and slipped her back in the suede pouch. I do not know if I'll ever use a double edge razor again. It was that good.

Be well fellas,
S.A.

proxy.php

congrats.......its definitely a different world.......haven't looked back since the end of April.

take care and keep at it!!!!

camo

Be well fellas,
S.A.

proxy.php
I’m glad it was a positive experience for you. My first straight was supposed to have been shave ready.... it was not. I thought to myself you’ve got to be kidding me if this is shaving with a straight razor. So I preserved and got a really shave ready straight from the hands of Lyn Abrams. I’ve never looked back.
Getting a well honed blade for your maiden voyage makes all the difference in the world!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Congratulations and welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving. Believe it or not, it only gets even better.

Be well fellas,
S.A.

proxy.php
Congratulations! Well done....and only a bit of blood on the first go around...very good. Don't expect perfection, just go with the flow and enjoy the experience. I am a natural lefty and I found it very easy to use both hands while shaving. Living in a right handed world was good preparation. Very nice razor btw. :pipe:

Reactions: abj
Great! That seldom happens, at least it didn't to me, but it makes me happy to know that it worked out so well for you. You've got a first raxor that's really grand, and I don't think it's too great a chance guessing that there will be more of them soon. I do recommend some caution, if not you're likely to wake up one morning wondering where all the +100 razors came from. When that notion strikes you, take a deep breath before checking your bank account.

it is alluring. and what kept me with it was it's more visceral. it requires attentiveness, all these years later; or it'll bite and remind you to pay attention.

it's a meditation for me these days. I look forward to the time spent zenning.

good for you, and enjoy the ride.

Good on you! It's always good to hear of another positive experience and of a new convert to ST8s. What a truly lovely first razor.

Nice razor! great to hear you had an enjoyable first shave. I’m new to SR myself, ~10 shaves under my belt. The old pros here say it takes 100 shaves to become proficient so a long way to go but I’m enjoying the ride

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Well done. Just don't try the "fool's pass" until you have about 100 shaves under your belt (I still won't do it).

Silentassasin I also just recently began SR shaving. I’ve been wet shaving with a DE for 12 years, and wanted to get into straight shaving initially but was discouraged by the expense (I started this adventure years ago to stop giving gillette 12 bucks a month). Welp, I acquired a SR on horse trade from a friend and started in March. I love it! I also didn’t really have major problems, I’ve cut myself once and had one weeper. First few shaves took a while though. Like 20 minutes for one pass. Now I can’t wait to get back home and stop using canned goop.

Top Bottom