What's new

I did it! First straight razor shave.

Just got done with my first straight razor shave. I hadn't planned to shave my whole face (more or less) and actually got carried away and shaved off a lot more than I had intended to. The only blood I saw was that thing on my neck which has been a PITA for years. I've got a little razor burn around that crease in the neck and a touch along my left jawline (reaching across my face to shave with my right hand is a likely culprit) but other than that not a bad shave if I do say so myself. The razor felt like it was pulling and tugging a bit, but my money's on that being because I was taking down a weeks growth instead of just a days stubble. I think I like it! :D
I began looking like this:
proxy.php

I started out washing my face and face lathered some VdH Deluxe with the Boar that comes with the kit. Then I rinsed it off and bowl lathered some AoS and slathered that on with my Semogue 1800 which left me looking like this:
proxy.php

This is where I got kinda carried away and ended up doing almost my whole face and left myself with this:
proxy.php

The damage was minimal and the shave was fantastic, not to mention satisfying. This Jonathon Crookes I got from Otto76 truly was shave ready and delivered a fantastic shave.
proxy.php

Thank you again Otto, and thank all you B&Br's who make this such a fantastic community to be a part of.

Congratulations! That's a lot of ground covered with a first shave. Most impressive. Don't worry too much about tugging and pulling at this point. Just work on your technique.

Awesome man! Looks like your first time went just as well if not better than mine. I too am thankful for this community. Now let's keep practicing and get good! Lol.

Well done, sir!
MUCH better than my first go 'round.

Better than mine too, for sure! I thought it was cool the first time I used one but didn't start really enjoying it for at least a couple of weeks.
Glad you enjoyed it, I really did like that razor and Jon (Raithskar) put a very fine edge on it.

Now I am curious about the clock...was it a 20 minute shave or an hour and 20 minutes?

Thank you again Otto, I am in love with this razor and the clock doesn't lie. I spent a good bit of time on prep both because it was my first time with a straight and I had a full weeks growth to take off, once I had my lather on it took me less than 15 min. I am sure that had I done my upper lip and chin that may have added a bit of time but I got kinda carried away as is because I shaved the front of my throat which I had been growing out for the past week. So it's cost me a week of not shaving (I'd just got past the itchy stage too :angry: ) but I am loving the shaves!
Honestly I am surprised I did this well. As soon as I started shaving I felt it hesitating once it hit the growth and thought I was gonna cut sections by going under the follicle a couple times. But the blade just slid over my face and I was rinsing big bloodless clumps of hair off the blade. I am NOT waiting another week to shave with this again *LOL*
I also oiled up my poor mans strop from Whipped Dog and have tried my hand at stropping a couple times today. So tonight I'll get to see how bad I am at stropping. *LOL*

I wouldn't have given you a hard time over an hour and twenty! I believe my first was in the 45 minute range and I didn't have a weeks worth of whiskers to shave.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Hang on a minute! That's the razor from Otto's BST thread last week! Holy jumpins, did that ever arrive fast!! :ouch1:

Congrats on the first straight shave!!!
Watch out for overconfidence. Last week, overconfidence gave me a 1" nick. Nothing really serious, my cats actually gave me worse slices... and chicks dig scars!

Hang on a minute! That's the razor from Otto's BST thread last week! Holy jumpins, did that ever arrive fast!! :ouch1:
I was shocked myself, he got that about two days faster than I thought he would. USPS must have had a lead footed driver for that route!

Yeah, tracking said it wouldn't be here till Monday. I'm not complaining though :D
I tried a quick shave again Sunday after trying my had at stropping a bit. I got a close shave but it seemed a lot rougher and I got a bit more razorburn. I was reading a bunch today and I think I've been using too steep an angle. Tonight I basically laid the flat against my face, lifted the spine a bit and that went a lot smoother. I think I need to take a break to let the razorburn cool down a bit though, I also need to work on my stropping.

Very cool. First step on a very rewarding path. I have straight-shaved for a couple of years now and I can tell you I still get as excited about it as you are :biggrin1: Have fun!

So tonight was my fourth shave. Keeping the blade angle low really makes a difference. I used a moisturizer sample I got and let it sit on my face for about 10 min before starting my prep and while I still hate the feel of that junk on my face I did get a great shave. I ran TOBS tonight which I always love the lather of, I just thin it out a bit more with the SR. Taking the break yesterday really helped my face, tonight the only burn I feel is on the MD line on my throat. I felt a light uniform sting down my face with my aftershave, not much but I'm still learning. I've been stropping a bit more, taking more nicks out of my strop too. :)
Question about stropping, a lot of people have a fabric strop and I've read that they strop it a bit on that before hitting the leather to warm up the blade? Is this anything I should bother with or is it a preference thing?
Also the shave still feels a little rough, should I strop it a bit on the compounded balsa from Whipped Dog and then go back to the leather? I think I want a loupe so I can start seeing the cutting edge. Both so I can see things for myself and get a better idea of what I'm seeing in relation to my shave. Will 20x be enough or should I try to get my hands on a 40x?
I'm trying to grow out an exaggerated fu manchu so I think I'm gonna go back to DE for a bit. I just have more control with a DE than I currently have with the straight. After a week or so when I have a bit more growth (that I shaved off sat night :cursing:) I'll be whipping out the straight again.

Top Bottom