What's new

I can't understand a word you guys say

If you think abbreviations are difficult to understand, wait till you browse around the Straight razor honing section, they really take English to the very next alien level, and that's even without abbreviate things up ...

If you think abbreviations are difficult to understand, wait till you browse around the Straight razor honing section, they really take English to the very next alien level, and that's even without abbreviate things up ...
Agreed, most of the straight razor threads may as well have been written in Chinese lol I'm slowly starting to decipher their language though :1eye:

I've been lurking around this and other pages where people talk about this stuff for about a year and I still can't figure out what you are talking about most of the time.
I finally looked for a glossary of terms and found the one on this site, but the list is so long and full of acronyms for way too specific things and even the explanations on the list are mostly unhelpful.
Abbreviations are supposed to be convenient and make communication easier. you guys seriously use way too much unexplained jargon.

Until I looked up that list I thought a "de razor"
Was one made in Germany (Aka Deutschland/DE)
You really couldn't just say double edged?

I'd agree with the other members on here.. it's a friendly place, just ask if you want anything explained or clarified.

I think the main reason for the acronyms is the number of threads some members post to and short hand or acronyms help type up a message faster. You get used to it and if you can't find it in the glossary then ask. I think I ahve had to once or twice. SWMBO always got me but then I am not married but I did find the glossary and found that one. The other was "3017", I never got that one but a quick search on Google answered it.

Today I used a DE with MWF followed up with WH and some AS for a DFS.

or

Today I used a double edge with Mitchels Wool Fat followed up with some witch hazel and some aftershave for a damn fine shave.

Which would you rather type?

I have nothing against the abbreviations - I guess I use 'DE,' 'SE,' and 'AS' all the time - but I always try to write in complete, plain English sentences, without abbreviation. I don't mind the extra keystrokes - I just want to be clear.

When I first started looking into getting away from cartridges, I thought double edge razor meant Trac II.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Todays SOTD:
Gillette FB loaded with GSB
AOS Sandalwood
SOC Boar
GFT AS
2 Pass DFS

There was a time I had no idea what any of that meant. But I asked. That's the best thing you can do. Whenever you run across something you're not sure what folks are talking about...just ask.

Todays SOTD:
Gillette FB loaded with GSB
AOS Sandalwood
SOC Boar
GFT AS
2 Pass DFS

There was a time I had no idea what any of that meant. But I asked. That's the best thing you can do. Whenever you run across something you're not sure what folks are talking about...just ask.

Was that the NOS AOS? :a17:

A lot of times we abbreviate things to make it quicker and easier to type them out. You'll figure out all the acronyms eventually, we all do.

The one that trips me up is SR which could mean "straight razor" or "single ring" (a type of early Gillette DE razor), depending on context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I prefer English myself, but I understand the reason for the short forms. Doesn't everyone use some, and more with peer groups? They make life easier sometimes.

Sometimes though, like in this instance, we see the disadvantages of an arcane communication shorthand one of which is it puts a burden on newbies.

Life is tough, right. Good thing nobody here is unwilling to help, answer questions, or communicate what works for them. This is a very gentlemanly, helpful group.

I had a low of trouble with some of the short forms, and the glossary is overwhelming, but it does contain most everything. It's easier sometimes to just ask.

Welcome to B&B! We have a lot of fun here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hi Chimpy welcome to the group. I hope you find it informative. Stick with it, the lingo will come. Feel free to reply to a thread and I'm sure someone will be happy to post a clarification. Or just google it.

Like everyone else said, you get used to it. Some things are pretty easy to figure out based on context. For everything else, you can always ask or look it up on that list of acronyms. Which is easily searchable: just press Ctrl + F and it'll bring up a little search window for the current page. It should work on any full-size computer's (as opposed to a phone or tablet; the keybinding might also be different on a Mac) web browser and on any web page. Modern technology is great! (when it's actually working and you understand the sometimes arcane rituals necessary to utilize it)

Top Bottom