What's new

I bought a thing, now I need advice on another thing

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'll video walk you thru later but check out this bubba View attachment 1135460View attachment 1135461
Good to see you in the mess hall, James. I will also recommend Thermoworks. It may cost a little more, but like my grandfather used to say “buy once, cry once”.

I used my first Thermopen for 6 years daily before it started making noises it shouldn't. (As in it was making noise.) but I carried it daily in my back pocket and would forget to take it out before sitting down. It would get handed all over the line, borrowed, returned on threats of life, and go back in my pocket. Amazing for checking the fryer temp then after a quick wipe and sanitize, check that roast chicken. before you know it, the pastry chef needs it for candy...

but seriously, Maverick makes some decent home and semi-pro stuff.

I have a large container for cooking the meats on its way (more on this story as it developes) but I'm going to need a probe or two for the monitoring of said temp to meats. I'd really like to not spend to much, any cheap things I should look at for keeping internal air temps as well as meat temps I should look at ?
They're letting you play with fire and pointy things now?

I have a Maverick dual probe wireless thermometer that I am completely happy with and have had for about a decade or more. I think the probes can be delicate as far as being damaged by being pulled on or pushed up against. But I have been careful and have not had any problems.

Thermoworks has a good rep if I recall and seem decently priced.

I have a smaller, "portable" kamado grill (Akorn Jr). Would the Thermoworks Smoke be a good option for determining grate temp and meat temp, while I use the built in thermometer for dome temp?

I have a smaller, "portable" kamado grill (Akorn Jr). Would the Thermoworks Smoke be a good option for determining grate temp and meat temp, while I use the built in thermometer for dome temp?
Everyone raves about them. Thermoworks makes good stuff. I'd grab one in a second if I was I. The states, being from Canada the exchange rate and shipping become a factor for me. Probably still worth it though

I have a Maverick dual probe wireless thermometer that I am completely happy with and have had for about a decade or more. I think the probes can be delicate as far as being damaged by being pulled on or pushed up against. But I have been careful and have not had any problems.

Thermoworks has a good rep if I recall and seem decently priced.
I seen a maverick at a store today. Was only a single probe, but felt like it was a quality unit. I may have to see if I can look a little harder here for them

BTW first cook. I was a little over cautious with the temp. But I had control of it. Tossed some apple and pecan wood chips in. I may have over did it on the chips a bit. They tasted good. Good first run. Tomorrow we do the ribs.
IMG_20200807_174211.jpg
IMG_20200807_174323.jpg
IMG_20200807_183602.jpg

I’ve had a Maverick 2 Probe for probably 5-6 years, it has worked pretty well. You have to be careful not to get any moisture down inside the probe, and I always take the battery out of the remote and base unit or it seems to be dead next time I pull it out. Range on the remote is OK, not great. I have had a Thermoworks Signals in my cart a couple of times, but haven’t been able to pull the trigger on it yet. With the current 15% off it was really tempting, but alas I removed it from the cart and just ordered the “Wand” for checking kids temperatures each day before school. The wife didn’t Buy my argument Of killing 2 birds with 1 stone by sticking one of the Signal probes in the kids to check them.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would say yes. I use one at grate level and one in the meat. Don’t think it has been said, but make sure the grate level probe is at least a couple inches away from the meat. The included dome one will not be too precise, but I found that mine (full sized Akorn) is actually within 5 degrees, which isn’t bad for a stock unit. Of course, over time that could change.

Been smoking chicken, turkey and pretty much everything but cheese for around 40 years, and never found any temp probe necessary. My smoker does have a thermometer on the lid, but it's only to inform of the smoker interior temp.
When nearing the end of smoking, having determined time by weight, I'd sometimes use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
For the past 2years, I've used a digital thermometer i got on E0Bay fpor just a few bucks. $65 seems pretty spendy, and in my world would be used for meat, beer and maybe fertilizer to grow the mesquite tree even faster so I could cut more wood for smoking.

I would say yes. I use one at grate level and one in the meat. Don’t think it has been said, but make sure the grate level probe is at least a couple inches away from the meat. The included dome one will not be too precise, but I found that mine (full sized Akorn) is actually within 5 degrees, which isn’t bad for a stock unit. Of course, over time that could change.
I think char Griller guarantees their dome thermometer to +/- 10 degrees, which isn't too bad.

Top Bottom