What's new

I bought a thing, now I need advice on another thing

I have a large container for cooking the meats on its way (more on this story as it developes) but I'm going to need a probe or two for the monitoring of said temp to meats. I'd really like to not spend to much, any cheap things I should look at for keeping internal air temps as well as meat temps I should look at ?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I can't help right now because my grilling/smoking stuff is still in a box somewhere from my move. I'll be eagerly waiting to see what you're having shipped through. :001_smile

I can't help right now because my grilling/smoking stuff is still in a box somewhere from my move. I'll be eagerly waiting to see what you're having shipped through. :001_smile
Hopefully tomorrow or the next day I should have it. If not y'all will just have to painfully wait for it along with me

Just watched an old alton brown good eats smoker using an ammo box, hot plate, and rack. I dont recall his temp monitoring though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
+1 for Thermoworks. Go over to their site and look around.

I know you said you didn't want to spend too much, but value does matter.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've been really happy with my Thermoworks DOT. The probe stays in the meat while cooking so only one puncture, and you watch the current temperature climb towards whatever final temp you select.

I've been really happy with my Thermoworks DOT. The probe stays in the meat while cooking so only one puncture, and you watch the current temperature climb towards whatever final temp you select.

love my dot, but also love the thermapen and smoke too! Wish i had the BT dot.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Can that hold two probes ?
An instant read thermometer is different from a dual probe thermometer. I use an instant read for grilling chicken, steak or fish. The dual, triple or even quadruple probes are good for smoking or oven use for large cuts of meat like turkey. Mine sends me temperature readings while I'm sitting on the couch watching The Good The Bad and the Ugly.

An instant read thermometer is different from a dual probe thermometer. I use an instant read for grilling chicken, steak or fish. The dual, triple or even quadruple probes are good for smoking or oven use for large cuts of meat like turkey. Mine sends me temperature readings while I'm sitting on the couch watching The Good The Bad and the Ugly.
I have an insta read, I need something for meat durning cook as well as one for sure temp at the grate as the lid one is a bit high in the model grill I got

Last edited:
I'll video walk you thru later but check out this bubba
IMG_20200805_173935.jpg
IMG_20200805_173943.jpg

Clear smoke. Seems to be holding it's temp rock steady. A few more minutes and we will let it get up a bit more to burn it all in and see what it will do. Who would have thought cooking with nothing could smell so good.

Maverick makes some decent tempareture tools for grilling. I've only ever given them as gifts but they love them. I have multiple Thermoworks things that I own for work. A thermopen and a dot. Would love some multi-probe units but can't justify it in my budget or the work budget.

Top Bottom