What's new

I am proud

I was going through the back of a cupboard before and I found of all things a popcorn popper which I thought I had thrown out years ago.

Of course now with my coffee love I decided to try some green beans in it.

Please meet my 1st ever popcorn popped coffee mr Gethumbwini!!!

Its a little dark but I didn't use any timers or anything so I don't think I did bad!

proxy.php

Awesome! Don't get too hung up on the rest thing. Some of my best cups were a few hours old. Enjoy!

I might use this lot as an experiment, brew a cup in a few hours and make notes, and one tomorrow and see how different they are.

I might use this lot as an experiment, brew a cup in a few hours and make notes, and one tomorrow and see how different they are.

Experimentation is always good. Like Scotto said it's not a fast rule and I would defer to him on this subject. I Just wanted to point out that fast roasting methods sometimes are very bright almost sour. Resting sometimes smooths it out. Just don't jump to any quick conclusions.

I was going through the back of a cupboard before and I found of all things a popcorn popper which I thought I had thrown out years ago.

Of course now with my coffee love I decided to try some green beans in it.

Please meet my 1st ever popcorn popped coffee mr Gethumbwini!!!

Its a little dark but I didn't use any timers or anything so I don't think I did bad!

proxy.php

Was it a hot air corn popper?. Beans look great can't wait to hear the final results.

Clayton

It was a hot air popper yes. I will take pics of the popper when I next have the camera downstairs.

The popper is unmodified. The pic of the beans is hosted on tinypic, I don't know how to remedy you not being able to see it.

Damn, that's a beautiful photo, Richard.

There, you've done it... now I've gotta put the kettle on, and go grind some beans... mumble !@#$ coffee-beans mumble...

Well being an enabler isn't bad in this case! I am going to start a stock of green beans now. I wonder if sweet marias ship samples over the water...

For a first attempt you did good.As long as the popper gets hot enough and keeps the beans moving it should do. I used to have an I roast which is really a modified pop corn popper and found I could never get the beans the way I wanted. Usually when the beans have a shiny surface it means the sugar is starting to come out of the bean and you're moving into Vienna roast territory. Some beans do good there and some don't.

If you check out Sweet maria's you can get these tins that have a valve in the bottom so the coffee, as it gasses vents the air and retains the heavier CO2 which displaces the air so the roasted coffee stays fresh longer.

They do LOOK good but I've got to ask... Did you get a first crack? Or go to second crack?

I've been home-roasting for about 3mos now, and I'm not an expert by any stretch, but as far as I know, unless you get the cracking of the bean, you may just be baking them. It can be tricky to get a proper roast from a popcorn popper.

But, I guess the test is how they taste. Let us know!

I went well into 1st crack. I have read quite a bit about this and I have some of these beans roasted by a very good pro micro roaster I know, so I had a baseline to compare my roast to.

Awesome! There's no turning back now...

I went well into 1st crack. I have read quite a bit about this and I have some of these beans roasted by a very good pro micro roaster I know, so I had a baseline to compare my roast to.

:eek:....A Popcorn popper?????? That is to cool......I think I'll have to roast some beans now...As if my wife has not scratched her head enough with my antics....:biggrin:

Top Bottom