What's new

Hurricane Advice

Sitting here running contingencies. Never had my finished basement flood before, HOWEVER the eye of Irene is currently forecast to pass our house east by about 5 - 10 miles. Yikes. If my basement floods should I kill the electric at my house's panel? Obviously, I would not wade through standing water to get to it. However if I see water seeping in should I kill it? Thanks for advice - John

Sitting here running contingencies. Never had my finished basement flood before, HOWEVER the eye of Irene is currently forecast to pass our house east by about 5 - 10 miles. Yikes. If my basement floods should I kill the electric at my house's panel? Obviously, I would not wade through standing water to get to it. However if I see water seeping in should I kill it? Thanks for advice - John

Cut the power, and leave now. In fact you should have been gone by now. At this point I would be more concerned about not ending up in a body bag rather than my basement flooding.

Yeah, me and 55 million other people in the north east. Not our first hurricane. Just my first with a finished basement. Cat 2 storm we would surely have left, it'll be bad, but not Katrina my friend. Other then that it is the will of the Lord. We are well prepared. Now back to the realistic flooding question .....

Yeah, if water was seeping in I'd kill it. You're right about a Cat 2 storm not being much to worry about, but water and electricity definitely are something worth worrying about. It may not be necessary for some electrical reason I dont know about, but I'd err on the side of caution unless reliably told otherwise. Its quite possible that the power will be knocked out beforehand, though.

Last edited:
Yeah, if it gets more than a few inches water in the basement, kill it.

I've got a lot of experience with this kind of thing. On a cat 1 storm, the storm surge is all you really have to worry about. Being on the coast like that concerns me a little. But as long as you are not flooding, fire up the BBQ pit, make some margaritas, and invite the neighbors over for a party. Enjoy your time off of work.

One tip to remember, if your water supply is compromised, boiling water kills the pathogens.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. No damage and zero water. For us just like a bad NorEaster. Yard clean up tomorrow, with lots of brews mixed in. - John

Good to hear! Low end hurricanes are not too bad as long as you don't flood.

We get them all the time, mostly just a reason to take off work and throw a party.

If you are going to kill the power to the whole building, then it should be done via the breaker at the power meter outside the building. Otherwise, there is still a live feed going inside to the breaker box.

Top Bottom