What's new

How would you polish an acrylic handle?

I wanted to bring out some of the tortoise coloring details on a faux tortoise handle. It currently has kind of a flat finish. I thought polishing might do it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I did the handle on my Yaqi Silvertip with AutoSol, but I havent finished it and its really pretty good as is.

IMG_2399.jpg

I just held the base of the knot in my hand and turned it inside a clean rag with AutoSol on it.

Depending how much of a shine you want to impart, you may be there a while. I'm sure you could buff it lightly on low speed on a buffing wheel, but you risk getting it too hot if you're not sure what you're doing.

Heat is the enemy of acrylic.

Novus #3 followed by Novus #2,but expect to use a little elbow grease.

I’ve polished a few this way with acceptable results...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Elbow grease and any mild polishing stuff. Flitz, link. Whatever, even some products you might use on a car's finish. Just test whatever you're going to use on a tiny area fist unless you're sure about it, and don't try anything chemical on something you can't afford to damage.

I would not use any powered mechanical device unless you already have expertise. Easy to ruin a handle.

Glad I asked. I was intending to use a wheel. I guess that a dremel is even more out of the question?

Maybe better to make a night of TV of it and polish by hand. Flitz is good?

I use an aluminum oxide paste polish after wet sanding. That's how I got a mirror shine on this old EverReady.

proxy.php

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Glad I asked. I was intending to use a wheel. I guess that a dremel is even more out of the question?

Maybe better to make a night of TV of it and polish by hand. Flitz is good?
I polishes the copper top plate on an old Gillette with a Dremel and microfine honing compound and it did a beautiful job but that was metal. I used to use auto paste wax and a wheel on smoking pipes - bowl and stems. Might want to try that first.

Buffing with a wheel will always yield a better result, even if just using a small one in a dremel. Use minimal pressure and no more, and always keep it moving. If using a dremel take extra care since they spin so fast and can easily screw up the finish. The minimum speed on mine is 5000rpm, by comparison I buff on my lathe anywhere from 900-1600rpm depending on the compound I’m using, coarser compounds require less speed. No need to be afraid of using a wheel, just don’t be stupid. Light touch, keep it moving, and if you see or smell smoke then stop :wink:

@shipr - nice shine on that beauty!

Top Bottom