What's new

How to store Cella Brick

Hello everyone I just purchased Cella brick 1 Kilo. My question is how do you store the soap?

In a room at room temperature or in the refrigerator etc

All suggestions are welcome

I don’t have Cella

But I’m storing what’s left of my Vitos green kilo in the refrigerator.

I’ve read that it works well for Cella too. But so does the freezer.

Light and air are your enemies. Never had a kilo of Cella, but I buy kilos of Vitos regularly. I only use a quarter of the brick at one time, and the rest I just kept wrapped in the plastic it comes in, in the box and stored in a drawer or cupboard. I've never had a problem with this method. The last 2 kilos I bought I divided into quarters, and vacuum sealed the blocks.

I'd say the absolute best is to vacuum seal it and freeze. If not that, wrap in plastic wrap and put in a freezer bag and freeze.

From my experience with bulk quantities of chicken and beef the vacuum sealer works best. Both last for at least 6 months in the freezer and taste just as good as when fresh. Over time the money saved by buying in bulk pays for the vacuum sealer. Sorry, I think I've gotten slightly off topic.

Reactions: Kix
From back in May:
And a great one from the soap master Marco:

Last edited:
Light and air are your enemies. Never had a kilo of Cella, but I buy kilos of Vitos regularly. I only use a quarter of the brick at one time, and the rest I just kept wrapped in the plastic it comes in, in the box and stored in a drawer or cupboard. I've never had a problem with this method. The last 2 kilos I bought I divided into quarters, and vacuum sealed the blocks.
Sorry to digress. What is Vitos source ?

Reactions: GMM
Finishing the last slice of my Cella brick!

Basically, I sliced it in roughly 100 gm portions, wrapped each slice well, then froze all but the one i am using.

I never bothered with storing Cella in a fridge or freezer.

Overall, I used maybe three or more blocks and all I did was cut off a slice, wrapped the remaining block tightly back into the cellophane that it had come in, put the block back in its cardboard box, and put the box on a shelf in my 75ºF/24ºC (unless when the A/C died once or twice a year) bedroom.

I never had any issues except that the colour changed into a more buttery, slightly marbled appearance. Scent got a bit weaker too, but was still pleasing to the nose.

Like most of us, I had (and still have :001_cool:) more shaving soaps and creams than I really needed and every block lasted me about three years, if memory serves me right.
If one had gone rancid, I just would have bought another block or moved on to different soaps.
But they never did, despite me living in the desert at that time with summer temperatures reaching routinely 115ºF/46ºC.

I have since moved on to different shaving soaps, but Cella has never given me any trouble

B..

Last edited:
That's crazy. Hmm. They only have one left now.

BTW, does Vitos go bad like cella, or is it immune to that?
I notice Vitos lists its tallow as "hydrogenated" - presumably this contributes to shelf stability?

That said, I don't know if other soap vendors are also using hydrogenated tallow and just don't bother mentioning that point.

I notice Vitos lists its tallow as "hydrogenated" - presumably this contributes to shelf stability?

That said, I don't know if other soap vendors are also using hydrogenated tallow and just don't bother mentioning that point.
Pretty sure there's rules they follow on that sort of stuff. Hydrogenated tallow is a more refined tallow product, and probably does contribute some to shelf stability.

Top Bottom