What's new

How to sharpen a knife

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I too am a fan of Japanese steel. All of my knives are custom made, some form a guy in Quebec and the others (and best I have ever used) come from Shinichi Watanabe in Japan.

Now...if we can get him to make a straight razor, I my just become a convert from my DE shaving.

Watanabe has gotten expensive recently, and I think he's overwhelmed with orders. He makes a helluva product.

ouch

Here's a guy who is an accomplished master sharpener (as my wife would say, for an American). He has a few vids on youtube, but they're just part of a long sharpening lecture and don't really convey the specifics in a logical sequence. He is, however, one of the few guys I would recommend to send knives to.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7qokYntdHU[/YOUTUBE]

ouch

For those in the NYC area, a unique opportunity exists to receive a sharpening lesson from someone who is perhaps the most accomplished sharpener in the country. If you watch Iron Chef, look for the name Korin in the credits- they supply high end kitchenware and knives to many restaurants, and I've seen IC Morimoto there on a couple of occasions. He knows where to go.
Amazingly, the lessons are free, which may come as something of a shock for those familiar with the city.

I am still confused, so how are you supposed to sharpen a knife.
And what is your opinion of Henckels & Wusthof brand?

Henkels have recently brought out a premium line called Cermax M66. They are made in Japan, have a powder steel core and are hand sharpened on waterstones. The edge on these knives is superb. They pass the hanging hair test straight out of the box, not that you'd want to shave with them.

They are a little lighter than their other ranges and are an absolute pleasure to use.

Their only drawback is their price, about $200 per knife.

Here's a guy who is an accomplished master sharpener (as my wife would say, for an American). He has a few vids on youtube, but they're just part of a long sharpening lecture and don't really convey the specifics in a logical sequence. He is, however, one of the few guys I would recommend to send knives to.

[youtube]Q7qokYntdHU[/youtube]

Isn't that Dave? If so, here is his website:
http://drsharpening.com/

He is a good guy.

Dennis

Henckels and Wusthof make good products that will provide many years of service. The best of the Germans is probably Messermeister, and all of these may be found in kitchens everywhere. They are rugged and tough, but their steel is fairly soft. I have drawers full of them that don't see much use anymore.

Feel free to wrap them up and send them to me. :001_tongu :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

ouch

Picked up some more bits for the upcoming vids- now all I need is time, the most precious commodity. Shouldn't be much longer.

Where is Korin located in the City? I'd like to take my wife there and shock her with the prices - I'd like to order a custom razor soon and I'd like her to have some perspective:wink: Thanks!

ouch

57 Warren St. That's one block south of Chambers, just of West Broadway.

Show her a couple of megabuck blades, and you're home free. Of course, it may backfire when she decides to replace all of your dishes.

Okay, all of you guys who are curious about sharpening, head over to bladeforums.com

Easy sharpener to get started on is the Spyderco Sharpmaker. That plus Sal Glesser's DVD makes life wayy easier

The guy on Alton Brown didn't seem too bad. Slack sandpaper belt is totally acceptable.

Now..steels..
the purpose is to realign an edge, not cut a new one. Henceforth, grooved ones are useless as they chew up the edge. Go find a nice hard smooth one

57 Warren St. That's one block south of Chambers, just of West Broadway.

Show her a couple of megabuck blades, and you're home free. Of course, it may backfire when she decides to replace all of your dishes.

I think this may have been discussed in another thread, but what are some good "starter" Japanese knives - I'm primarily interested in Western-style knives with a 50:50 bevel (I'm left handed and my wife right handed - so this is the only option that makes sense). I've heard Tojiro makes some well-priced knives, but suspect there are others out there.

If people think this is better put into a new thread - just let me know.

ouch

Okay, all of you guys who are curious about sharpening, head over to bladeforums.com

Easy sharpener to get started on is the Spyderco Sharpmaker. That plus Sal Glesser's DVD makes life wayy easier

The guy on Alton Brown didn't seem too bad. Slack sandpaper belt is totally acceptable.

Now..steels..
the purpose is to realign an edge, not cut a new one. Henceforth, grooved ones are useless as they chew up the edge. Go find a nice hard smooth one

As garageboy points out, and should be painfully obvious to everyone, there are many ways to accomplish this task.

Since this foum is inhabited by the most extreme, hard core, dedicated, over the top maniacs on Earth, this thread will concentrate on the use of Japanese water stones. Additionally, the motto of B&B should be "you'll get better advice here."

From left- Suehiro 220; King 1,000; King 1,000 hyper medium; Shapton 2,000; King 6,000; Kitayama 8,000; Shapton 12,000. Also shown- fixing and nagura stones. (Various other stones currently camera shy- Shapton 1500 and 5K, Naniwa 3K and 10K.)

ouch

If people think this is better put into a new thread - just let me know.

Actually, I think this is a good place for this. By that, I mean it will help me stall for the week or so that it's going to take me to hammer out all of this. :lol:

I think this may have been discussed in another thread, but what are some good "starter" Japanese knives - I'm primarily interested in Western-style knives with a 50:50 bevel (I'm left handed and my wife right handed - so this is the only option that makes sense). I've heard Tojiro makes some well-priced knives, but suspect there are others out there..

Some Japanese knives carry pricetags that make you think the price is being quoted in lira. Specialty producers abound, with commensurate sticker prices, and the top lines of some companies may runs into many hundreds per blade. The good news is that they won't cut any better than a well maintained, decent knife from a reputable producer. Still better news is that you only really need one top notch knife to do 90+% of your work.

The Tojiro line is perhaps the biggest no brainer in the business, but unfortunately they are rethinking their global marketing perspective. This means that http://www.japanesechefsknife.com, one of the best places to buy from, no longer carries them. A very nice alternative is the molybdenum line from Misono. Every knife this company makes (and their UX-10 line is about as good as it gets) displays beautiful fit and finish. Korin has started distributing the Togiharu line, which shows very good potential for entry level knives. They are very sweet to look at, and well balanced and nimble. The trouble, of course, is that once you get a Dovo you want a Maestro, so to speak.

As for being left handed, I'm a southpaw, as well. A hardcore, activist lefty, at that. Unless you are purchasing single bevel, traditional Japanese knives (which means that you are already nuts, and should be committed), don't worry about it. Many of the knives are ground 50/50, and even if they're not, you won't notice it at all.

As garageboy points out, and should be painfully obvious to everyone, there are many ways to accomplish this task.

Since this foum is inhabited by the most extreme, hard core, dedicated, over the top maniacs on Earth, this thread will concentrate on the use of Japanese water stones. Additionally, the motto of B&B should be "you'll get better advice here."

From left- Suehiro 220; King 1,000; King 1,000 hyper medium; Shapton 2,000; King 6,000; Kitayama 8,000; Shapton 12,000. Also shown- fixing and nagura stones. (Various other stones currently camera shy- Shapton 1500 and 5K, Naniwa 3K and 10K.)

Are those prices in Yen or Pesos? :lol:

Ouch - Korin sells the Tojiro DP series:

http://www.korin.com/models.php?cat=54&subcat=62&df=knife&catname=Western%20Style&subcatname=Tojiro

These seem pretty well priced for good knives.

And the Japanesewoodworker sells both the Dojo blue steel line:

http://japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=13251

The Tojiro Damascus line (slightly more):

http://japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=13189

Which of these would you suggest.

Alternately, there is the MAC line that I've also heard good things about.

Thanks.

ouch

Tojiro makes a hard to find, powdered tool steel line that is great, and the only other line they offer that I would consider from them, but I'd suggest the DP line. If you wait until their next semi annual sale (July and December), everything is 15% off. At $51, the DP 240mm gyuto is the best bargain in the knife world.

The Dojo knives from Japan Woodworker have many friends, are dirt cheap, and super sharp. They are, however, not stainless, which is a very big consideration. Mac's are also nice, but just don't feel comfortable in my hand.

Tojiro makes a hard to find, powdered tool steel line that is great, and the only other line they offer that I would consider from them, but I'd suggest the DP line. If you wait until their next semi annual sale (July and December), everything is 15% off. At $51, the DP 240mm gyuto is the best bargain in the knife world.

The Dojo knives from Japan Woodworker have many friends, are dirt cheap, and super sharp. They are, however, not stainless, which is a very big consideration. Mac's are also nice, but just don't feel comfortable in my hand.

Thanks Ouch - I agree, the killer is the shipping to Canada and the duties/taxes - but I may be able to order at sale prices if I go to the US over the X-mas holidays.

As for the Dovo - Maestro bit, I'm very much a function over form sort of guy - I do a lot of cooking (and have worked in kitchens in the past - but am certainly no expert), but don't have a single knife that cost more than $50. I've owned expensive German knives, and really don't notice much of a difference between my motley collection of quality value-priced knives and the Henckles I used to own. In fact, one of my favourite knives is the "Peasant Chef's Kife" I bought from Lee Valley for $25 (6.75 inch carbon blade with a very nice handle).

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=52770&cat=2,40733,40738&ap=1

Took a bit of work to get the edge where I wanted it, but a great value in a very useful shape and size.

Top Bottom