What's new

How to remove "white buildup"?

If it doesn't affect the quality of the shave, why bother. Leave it on the razor. How bad could it possibly get?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
+1 on BKF

Stuff works miracles

I agree it does. However, I just had a conversation with my newphew who has a work friend that bought an OLD type Single Ring in well used condition and even missing a tooth, in need of repair and replate, which before he sent it in to have the work done, tried BKF on it.

I have no idea how much plating was left on the razor when he used it, but he said "It wiped the gold right off down to the brass." I guess we know not to use it on gold plating of any kind. I was told that it doesnt attack Nickel which is what I believe my Tech is plated with.

As far as the Brass on my NEW SC, it doesnt attack it that I can see having used it often, but it sure cleans it fast.

I found this stuff is awesome. I do my razors once a week and they look like new after just a few seconds with an old toothbrush.

View attachment 809648

Wet the razor, sprinkle some on and a very quick scrub, then under running water and they gleam like new.

Careful on gold however as stated above. If you have any cuts on your hands, it'll sting a bit!

This is on the Barkeepers Friend website.....

Always Test First!
  • Some ingredients in Cleanser & Polish may etch or dull delicate surfaces.
  • Before cleaning fiberglass, plastics, anodized aluminum, or brushed metal surfaces—including appliance exteriors—test first.
  • Always test in a small, inconspicuous area.
Where NOT to Use Cleanser & Polish
  • Gold or silver
  • Polished stone such as marble or granite
  • Lacquered, painted, or mirrored surfaces

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This is on the Barkeepers Friend website.....

Always Test First!
  • Some ingredients in Cleanser & Polish may etch or dull delicate surfaces.
  • Before cleaning fiberglass, plastics, anodized aluminum, or brushed metal surfaces—including appliance exteriors—test first.
  • Always test in a small, inconspicuous area.
Where NOT to Use Cleanser & Polish
  • Gold or silver
  • Polished stone such as marble or granite
  • Lacquered, painted, or mirrored surfaces

I've seen it used on silver cutlery even though I know its not recommended, but that would be solid silver, not a silver plating.

Stone, marble ect it will cloud, and most likely remove any paints ect. I may need to test that as I need a simple paint stripper actually haha.

I was just reading that it can be used, in a concentrate at high heat, to etch Titanium in place of Hydrofluoric Acid.

Etching titanium without Hydrofluoric acid

I dont believe the off the shelf Bar Keepers Friend to be anywhere near that level of concentrate, it is interesting though.

"Scrubbing Bubbles" bathroom cleaner is the best without a doubt. Just spray it on wait 10 seconds and wash it off. The best thing to remove soap scum.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The trick is to not let the white stuff build up. :001_rolle

I always thought that BF was pretty aggressive stuff.

It is and won't get near any of my razors. I'd be crazy to use something with the abrasive mineral feldspar on a regular basis.

I use BKF on all my good stainless steel cookware and it's great but I'd be hesitant to use it on some of my razors. I either use just some mild dish washing liquid but dilute it in some hot water because most have a fairly high PH which could strip some plating off a gold or chrome razor. Most of the time I use a soft toothbrush and some neutral PH baby shampoo. If I buy a old crusty vintage razor I use Scrubbing Bubbles and let it stay on for around 10 seconds then use the baby shampoo and very soft toothbrush and I've had good results.

I'm curious for the best ways people have found for removing white build-up I've found on razors, grooves in brush handles, etc. It looks most like some old dried up shaving soap leftovers or so, perhaps from imperfect rinsing after use of the years.
A hand wash soap and scrub with an old tooth brush works. For the ingrained build-up use a little toothpaste with the brush and it will soon move it. If you need to go further, try a soak in 20% solution of white vinegar and water but not longer than an hour. That usually moves it. Rinse well with water after.
Limescale build up, associated with hard water, is a nightmare so a regular clean is advisable.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

white residue could be soap residue or limescale.
On razors soap residue can be dissolved with hot water and some dishwashing liquid.
For limescale I use bathroom cleaners.

With old brushes, just dump the knot.
If for some reason you want to keep the old knot, try to repeatedly wash it with hair conditioning shampoo (the 2in1 type with conditioner).

With a new brush, rinsing it after every use elongates the soap buildup.

Adam

Haven't found 'Scrubbing Bubbles' here yet (NZ), but I use 'Shower Bastard' (yeah, I know. Maybe it's a Kiwi thing).
Quick squirt over the razor, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse it off. All bright and shiny again.
No polishing cloths, creams, metal polishes, toothbrushes, etc. Eats soap scum (and there's probably body fat in there too if you think about it) very quickly and safely.
Use it on Gillette Fatboy Executive, IKON Shavecraft 101, and a variety of Techs (Nickel plated, and aluminium). No problems with any of them being damaged, or discoloured, etc.

This?

9_1024x1024.jpg

Haven't found 'Scrubbing Bubbles' here yet (NZ), but I use 'Shower Bastard' (yeah, I know. Maybe it's a Kiwi thing).
Quick squirt over the razor, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse it off. All bright and shiny again.
No polishing cloths, creams, metal polishes, toothbrushes, etc. Eats soap scum (and there's probably body fat in there too if you think about it) very quickly and safely.
Use it on Gillette Fatboy Executive, IKON Shavecraft 101, and a variety of Techs (Nickel plated, and aluminium). No problems with any of them being damaged, or discoloured, etc.
Sounds like New Zealand hasn't yet succumb to political correctness, and values so broad, general and inoffensive that they are weak and meaningless. Try getting a product called "Shower Bastard" on the shelf in any European store...no one would ever do it, for fear of upsetting some minority.
You guys also have some great food & coffee.

Anyway......Balistol is my go-to for moving white soap scum from razors. It works well....but I generally wipe and disassemble my razors after every use, so build-up is negligible...

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
HOT, HOT water with a dash of distilled vinegar! Soap is basic, vinegar is acidic so it eats the crud quick like! I've actually done this and seen green crud dribbling out of my razors!
NOTE: Might want to avoid this with Rhodium. Just something I've read but it did zero damage to my silver plate pre-15. It was so cruddy the doors wouldn't open...

It doesn't take much to clean this stuff up. With my Fatboy, roughly monthly I soak the head in Barbacide for about an hour, then spray it with Scrubbing Bubbles, wait five minutes, then scrub it with an old toothbrush for about 30 seconds. Works perfectly and the razor is freshly disinfected.

Top Bottom