What's new

How to really clean a razor head?

I place all the parts (blade too) in a small ultrasonic cleaner filled with water and a bit of dish detergent. After a few minutes I’ll rinse the parts under a tap with a soft toothbrush and place them on a folded washcloth to dry.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I give 'em a rinse under hot water, loosen the heads and blow off as much moisture as I can. Leave the head loose (unless I'm swapping out the blades) and put it up to hang in my too moist bathroom from the razor caddy that @Captain Pre-Capsize gave me in a PIF. That thing is COOL!

What a great idea! My Timeless razor has difficult to access lather channels and they show a white buildup of lather scum. I think pipe cleaners might be perfect for cleaning them
My Rockwell also has fat plates with 6 narrow lather ports, so you can't work a toothbrush all the way in there.

Until I order some pipecleaners, a loop of string will probably work to "floss" the things out. I didn't notice how bad they had got, until I read this thread.

I toothbrush it with hot water whenever I throw out the blade. So far that keeps the scum at bay. If I need to do more I’ll toothbrush it with dawn added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
My biggest challenge is getting a newly procured Slim or Fatboy to give me that extra quarter turn without feeling like I need a vise grip to do it. Any newly acquired Gillette adjustable gets a scrubbing with a toothbrush and a bath in the sink with hot water and a generous portion of Dawn dish soap. I open the razor and shake it vigorously in the soapy water and work that quarter turn clockwise and counter clockwise until it turns smoothly. I’ve tried soaking them in mineral oil for days and some other techniques that I’m ashamed to admit to. None of them worked. Good old Dawn works for me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Disassemble after every shave. Rinse thoroughly under warm/hot water. Dry with one of my terrycloth chamois, buffing out any soap spots, etc. Loosely reassemble the razor with no blade in it.

YMMV

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Once a week, with blade change, spray down with citric acid bathroom cleaner. Rinse.

(this is for a ti razor. That stuff might eat gold wash Gillettes).

AA

I clean my razor once in a blue moon, because I'm kinda lazy that way and it doesn't affect the performance.

When I do I use old soft toothbrush and toothpaste. Very efficient on soap scum.

Depending on the space in you bathroom/den, the small Barbicide jar with Barbicide solution made using distilled water will keep your razors clean, and slow rusting of your blades if you live in a humid area.

After shaving, I rinse the razor & drop it in the Barbicide. It sits about 3-5 minutes while I do post shave. Remove & wipe dry.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I start with wardrobe: hospital whites kept in an air tight individual closet. I do not use latex gloves, only cotton white gloves. After each shave I disassemble the razor and gently place all parts on a royal blue blanket of velvet. Then I meditate for a couple of minutes to amp up my concentration.

I clean each part in a small vat of alcohol, sweetened with oud oil that has been blessed by a Tibetan monk on top of a secret mountain. Then I buff each part dry with the fur of a mink (this is the dangerous part as I don't have the heart to kill the little critter). Then the parts get a soak in Tuberose Absolute Essential oil ($1,600 an oz.) and placed on a piece of purple velvet and carried to the climate controlled storage closet to await tomorrow's shave.

It's either that or I dry it off and give it a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush every week or two.

Whenever I change my blade in a razor, I give it a good clean. Any bath/tub/tile cleaner will work, although Scrubbing Bubbles is a favorite. I just soak my razor parts for about 5 minutes. Rinse. Dry. Shiny as new.

I sometimes use a toothbrush and hot water if the soap residue isn't too bad. There's no wrong answer to me, depending on one's OCD tendencies.

If you use a shave cream with lanolin in it, it will leave a film behind. I doubt it is harmful, but it does dull the shine, and could build up over time, especially in a TTO. I suspect the lanolin even protects the blade edge from corrosion.

I found that a drop of Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap cleans the lanolin off fast. It's also nice for cleaning shaving brushes.

I suspect most detergents would work. But I like the strong peppermint smell of Dr. Bronner's.

If you use a shave cream with lanolin in it, it will leave a film behind. I doubt it is harmful, but it does dull the shine, and could build up over time, especially in a TTO. I suspect the lanolin even protects the blade edge from corrosion.

I don't know anything about lanolin leaving a film behind, but if that's what's happening then you're surely right: it will protect the blade from rusting same as if you oiled it. People rustproof cars with the stuff.

Last edited:

linty1

My wallet cries.
I use one blade until its no longer useable, and I leave it in the razor. So after shaving, will rinse, pat dry, and leave on the counter ledge till next time. After.. 2 weeks? Disassemble, use no bleach scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush. Rinse, pat dry, leave out to dry, then reassemble with no blade and store till next time.

I start with wardrobe: hospital whites kept in an air tight individual closet. I do not use latex gloves, only cotton white gloves. After each shave I disassemble the razor and gently place all parts on a royal blue blanket of velvet. Then I meditate for a couple of minutes to amp up my concentration.

I clean each part in a small vat of alcohol, sweetened with oud oil that has been blessed by a Tibetan monk on top of a secret mountain. Then I buff each part dry with the fur of a mink (this is the dangerous part as I don't have the heart to kill the little critter). Then the parts get a soak in Tuberose Absolute Essential oil ($1,600 an oz.) and placed on a piece of purple velvet and carried to the climate controlled storage closet to await tomorrow's shave.

It's either that or I dry it off and give it a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush every week or two.
This.

Top Bottom