What's new

How to really clean a razor head?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
My normal routine for maintaining my safety razor is apparently lacking.

After shaving, I immediately disassemble my razor and dry it. I am doing something wrong I guess because my razors inevitably develop white splotches on them.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be, or what is a good process for getting rid of them?

Thanks!

How exactly you dry them ?

I use only one razor ,made from
316L stainless steel.
After shaving ,I rinse each part
( cap,baseplate and handle) with
plain cold water. Then dry each part
with a glass (kitchen) towel and
a cotton ear -bud for the tiny spots /holes & handle’s threading .

Place a dub of mineral oil at the cap screw,
and re-assemble ,give a final wipe with a
microfibre cloth ,sometimes soaked with isopropanol and then store.

Razor is always in pristine condition .
Clean and shinny.

I also clean after every shave. I disassemble the razor. I put a bit of shampoo for oily hair in a small shaving bowl and use the brush, that i have previously rinsed, to make the shampoo foam. Then i add water to the brim. Then i toss the razor parts into the bowl and i take them out, while still with shampoo on them and clean with the shaving brush under tap water. Finally i rinse the brush. Then the razor pieces rest on a towel to dry. My razors look like new.

Double Dunk & Dry Method: Dunk tank one has 200ml of distilled water mixed with two tablespoons laundry detergent. This removes soap scum and hard water spots. Dunk tank two is a 90% isopropyl alcohol rinse.

Post shave, place razor in dunk tank 1 for several minutes while brushing your teeth. After brushing your teeth, remove from tank 1 and swish around in tank 2 for several seconds. When done rinsing, place razor on absorbent material, with the long end of the blade perpendicular to the sink surface so that all fluid drains down the blade and into the absorbent material. Replace dunking fluid semiannually.

YMMV.

I just towel dry them and then place them disassembled, without a blade on an open box with a couple of desecants bags on my bedroom.

Never had an issue with zamak, AL, brass or SS ones.

Enviado desde mi SM-A307G mediante Tapatalk

Wow. Guess I'm the razor slob here... When I'm done I just put it in the scuttle with the cap a few turns loosened then put it and the scuttle under wide open hot water in the sink while I do the alum block and balm routine. When that's all done I pull it out, set it on a towel for a few minutes, then shake water out of the base and blow on the blade edge to get as much water as I can off. I then put it back in the dry scuttle leaving the cap loose to let a little air in there.

When the built up soap scum gets to the point where it aggravates me I get an old tooth brush and some Windex and clean it right up.

Now for the record my razor is AOS Merkur so certainly nothing to write home about or fuss over.

Double Dunk & Dry Method: Dunk tank one has 200ml of distilled water mixed with two tablespoons laundry detergent. This removes soap scum and hard water spots. Dunk tank two is a 90% isopropyl alcohol rinse.

Post shave, place razor in dunk tank 1 for several minutes while brushing your teeth. After brushing your teeth, remove from tank 1 and swish around in tank 2 for several seconds. When done rinsing, place razor on absorbent material, with the long end of the blade perpendicular to the sink surface so that all fluid drains down the blade and into the absorbent material. Replace dunking fluid semiannually.

YMMV.
This wouldn't work for me because I brush my teeth before I shave while the pre shave is doing its thing and the brush is warming in the scuttle. However, when done, I use a toothbrush and warm water on the brush and the razor (3-piece or TTO) to remove any soap buildup. Drying the brush and razor keeps them shiny.

This wouldn't work for me because I brush my teeth before I shave while the pre shave is doing its thing and the brush is warming in the scuttle. However, when done, I use a toothbrush and warm water on the brush and the razor (3-piece or TTO) to remove any soap buildup. Drying the brush and razor keeps them shiny.

I should have been more clear in the initial post that this isn't what I actually do, I was just proposing a low effort method. I don't really worry about soap scum or hard water spots. In actual practice, I just dip my razor in 90% isopropyl alcohol, and call it a day. I do this more for blade longevity than for aesthetics. The only time I really thoroughly clean a razor is before sending it out for a PIF. In that case I give it a good scrubbing with a toothbrush and dish detergent, and then give it a nice long bath in 90% isopropyl.

Dawn and a toothbrush once a week has always worked for me, but I got a small ultrasonic cleaner a while back for cleaning up inexpensive vintage razors and a couple minutes in that guy with a drop of dish soap really does the trick.

I rinse my well-loosened razor under hot water immediately after shaving. This washes off any soap residue.

Next, I disassemble the razor and set the parts out to dry on a microfiber cloth while I do the rest of my post-shave routine, which takes about 15 minutes.

I, then, use the microfiber cloth to dry off and shine the razor head parts.

Afterward, I leave everything out on the microfiber cloth for several hours or overnight (I'm a night shaver).

The next morning, I apply a drop or two of oil to the shaft of the razor head and reassemble the razor before hanging the razor on my razor and brush stand.

Once a month I clean the razor head with rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball before leaving the razor to dry out overnight.

Wow. Guess I'm the razor slob here... When I'm done I just put it in the scuttle with the cap a few turns loosened then put it and the scuttle under wide open hot water in the sink while I do the alum block and balm routine. When that's all done I pull it out, set it on a towel for a few minutes, then shake water out of the base and blow on the blade edge to get as much water as I can off. I then put it back in the dry scuttle leaving the cap loose to let a little air in there.

When the built up soap scum gets to the point where it aggravates me I get an old tooth brush and some Windex and clean it right up.

Now for the record my razor is AOS Merkur so certainly nothing to write home about or fuss over.
I take my razor apart after every shave and wash it for a few seconds under the tap, let it dry for a min on a towel and put it back together. I only use the toothbrush when they razor looks gross. Maybe every few weeks/month. Works well. 👍

I take it apart mainly as I like to rotate a bunch of blades. Otherwise I would just rinse it off until I changed the blade.

After shaving, I immediately disassemble my razor and dry it. I am doing something wrong...

Every shave? Geez. I'm lucky if I remember to loosen the doors of my one-piece razors, like my super speeds, before I rinse, much less disassemble my two or three piece razors.

When its in rotation, I just rinse. I'll clean it before I put it away...

...maybe.

I rinse my razor under cold tap water and give it a shake to get the excess water off. Then I hang it on the stand. No disassembling, no loosening, no massage.

When I change blades (approximately once / week) I clean the razor with a soft tooth brush and wipe with a paper towel.

The only blade that stained any razor so far was the Treet Carbon. The stains were easy enough to brush away after only a week.

Once a year I might consider offering the threads or moving parts of my razors some oil. But that's all.

The razor is a tool, not a piece of jewellery. I am a man. If my razor can't handle me being a man, the razor needs to go.

Last edited:
I used to scrub my razors with an old toothbrush and Scrubbing Bubbles. That worked really well.
But I've gotten even lazier. I just take them apart and throw them in the dishwasher once a week. They come out even cleaner.

Top Bottom