What's new

How to properly use After Shave

Before getting into wet shaving, I never used any after shave. I guess I just assumed that having a dry tight face was part of shaving. But after geing active in B&B I have learned that I've missed out on a very important part of shaving by skiping the after shave routine. My question is this, once I finish my rinses and application of witch hazel do I put the after shave balm on the area that I shaved only, or does it go over all the face? Do I put it on my forehead and sides and all. I'm sorry if this sounds like a corny question, but I really have never used this stuff before. I have picked up a bottle of Niviea (spelling??) sensitive and some Proraso pre/post to try out.

Before getting into wet shaving, I never used any after shave. I guess I just assumed that having a dry tight face was part of shaving. But after geing active in B&B I have learned that I've missed out on a very important part of shaving by skiping the after shave routine. My question is this, once I finish my rinses and application of witch hazel do I put the after shave balm on the area that I shaved only, or does it go over all the face? Do I put it on my forehead and sides and all. I'm sorry if this sounds like a corny question, but I really have never used this stuff before. I have picked up a bottle of Niviea (spelling??) sensitive and some Proraso pre/post to try out.

I apply the Nivea to the shaved area and then rub the remaining over the rest of my face like a moisturizer... whatever works for you.

A word of warning: Witch Hazel and Proraso Pre/Post do not go together. The Proraso will break down and not be effective. To use it, either skip the WH, or thoroughly rinse your face with water after the WH and before the Proraso.

A word of warning: Witch Hazel and Proraso Pre/Post do not go together. The Proraso will break down and not be effective. To use it, either skip the WH, or thoroughly rinse your face with water after the WH and before the Proraso.

+1 (Needless to say that goes for the alum bar too)

Aftershaves have to be used only after a super horrible rough shave.

Then, fill your sink with tons of alcohol based aftershave ; then put your whole face in there.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself doing the moonwalk dance

Warm water rinse
Cold water rinse
alcohol based AS (usually an AquaVelva product)
Homemade blend of Witch Hazel and Aloe gel AS splash
AS balm (if needed)

Thats my basic routine....:thumbup1:

Warm water rinse
Cold water rinse
alcohol based AS (usually an AquaVelva product)
Homemade blend of Witch Hazel and Aloe gel AS splash
AS balm (if needed)

Thats my basic routine....:thumbup1:

Wow. That's a lot of steps. I rinse, then apply one aftershave product, whether Alcohol based or a balm. I guess if I use an alcohol based and find my face feels dry afterward I occasionally apply a balm then.

What is the point of the Aqua Velva and the Witch Hazel/aloe? It sounds a little redundant to me? But of course, this is a whatever works for you thing, shaving.

-Mo

Wow. That's a lot of steps. I rinse, then apply one aftershave product, whether Alcohol based or a balm. I guess if I use an alcohol based and find my face feels dry afterward I occasionally apply a balm then.

What is the point of the Aqua Velva and the Witch Hazel/aloe? It sounds a little redundant to me? But of course, this is a whatever works for you thing, shaving.

-Mo
MO:
Warm rinse to clean product off the mug.
Cold rinse to start the seal.
Alcohol based AS to complete the seal and to tone.
Witch hazel and Aloe Gel for healing properties.
ASB for add healing and moisturizing (if needed).

.......................you had to ask, dint ya ? :001_cool:

It helps to know what your skin type is when talking about aftershaves. I have combination skin so I am only applying aftershave in the beard area where I shave and not on my entire face. My routine is...

Hot water rinse between all passes
Hot water rinse at the end
Cold water rinse (one of my favorite parts of the shave, esp if I used Proraso or similar...)
Aftershave balm
Cologne (if using, most work days)

I clean up the brush and bowl (if using) during the hot water rinse. If I use alum, I do the cold water rinse, wet the alum bar in cold water and I rub it all over my beard area. I let the alum do its thing while I clean up, follow up with another cold water rinse (alum interferes with many aftershaves and toners) and then use aftershave.

Several gents on the board wrote a nice Aftershave guide. It may be worth your browsing - find a similar description as your skin type then look at the recommended products and techniques.

Dennis

Rinse off left over lather with warm water from the tub, splash with cold, dab dry, then pat on aftershave (Dr Harris Sandalwood usually). That's enough for me, I don't bother with the rest of my face, aftershave is for after shaving, and I tend not to shave my forehead!

Thanks for all the help all, I really appreciate it. Aftershave is one area of my routine, both new and old, which I didn't do much in. I will just have to do some experimenting to find what works best with what. I guess that's part of the fun of this whole wet shaving thing huh?

I have a couple of different routines, depending on what products I'm using:

Option 1
warm water rinse
cold water rinse (towel dry after)
Aqua Velva (for antiseptic and cooling effects)
moisturizing balm (Nivea, QED, Mama Bear, etc.)

Option 2
warm water rinse
alum bar (let dry on face while cleaning up bathroom)
cold water rinse
moisturizing balm OR Musgo Real splash*

So, I always combine two aftershave products - one primarily for antiseptic and toning properties, one for moisturizing and (possibly) light scent. If the first step is an alum block I have to move it to before my final rinse.

* - though Musgo Real is an alcohol-based aftershave, it also contains aloe, and the scent is so nice I'd hate to use anything else after it and cover it up.

Top Bottom