What's new

How to modify modern blades for gibbs razors?

Looks like a knibbler used to cut metal sheets. You can get cheap version on Amazon around 10$
What gap width is needed for Gibbs blades? e.g. Knipex metal sheet knibbler has 2.7mm cutting width
All right that narrows look down our search, I looked on it Amazon in couldn't find a $10 version, if anybody has a link I'd appreciate it maybe I'm missing something.thanks

I've been scissor cutting them w/ eyeball measurement. Once aligned and tightened up they don't move.

I like the 1/8" punch though.

All right that narrows look down our search, I looked on it Amazon in couldn't find a $10 version, if anybody has a link I'd appreciate it maybe I'm missing something.thanks
just look for "hand nibbler" and you will find different models starting at around 12-13$.
No experience with it but would be great if somebody could comment if it works. Not sure but advantage seems a squared cut instead of rounded one with hole punch.

Working the blade outside the razor has always a little play.
Best way it's this:

And it will not damage the razor, because the blade is so thin.

I couldn't find a small hole punch here so I made this up and use it along with a Dremel.
When I open a new tuck, I take all the blades and "Gibbs" them.

Scrap piece of aluminium, two rounded bolts and all lined up on a milling machine. I get the holes lined up perfectly every time.

gibbs-jig-jpg.929100

I couldn't find a small hole punch here so I made this up and use it along with a Dremel.

Scrap piece of aluminium, two rounded bolts and all lined up on a milling machine. I get the holes lined up perfectly every time.

gibbs-jig-jpg.929100
Man that's nice work, precision work too

I actually used an old hole punch for the first blade at I did and work great the second blade was a different brand and did not work so great kind of bent the blade and wasn't going through so I started cutting the ends off.

gibbs-jig-jpg.929100
There should be a way you could modify your razor with those precision skills. Probably a lot easier said than done, type deal.

@Keto
I'm sure that it must have been done by someone. Some machinist somewhere got tired of modifying blades and modified his. You could somewhat copy a Personna. The only problem is that if you do that to the "original" and it does not work out!

I keep looking out for one where the tabs are missing. There was one on that big auction site a few months back, which would have been a prime candidate to experiment on. The bidding just got too high IMHO.

@Keto
I'm sure that it must have been done by someone. Some machinist somewhere got tired of modifying blades and modified his. You could somewhat copy a Personna. The only problem is that if you do that to the "original" and it does not work out!

I keep looking out for one where the tabs are missing. There was one on that big auction site a few months back, which would have been a prime candidate to experiment on. The bidding just got too high IMHO.
Probably some parts laying around somewhere if you only know where. And you're right it would need to be another razor or pieces in good shape to fit with the one you have, my thoughts.

@Keto

The Personna keeps the blade aligned with nubs on the underside of the cap and on the blade bed. The Gibbs lacks these, so if you remove the posts on the bed there's nothing to keep the blade from shifting.

The Personna keeps the blade aligned with nubs on the underside of the cap and on the blade bed. The Gibbs lacks these, so if you remove the posts on the bed there's nothing to keep the blade from shifting.

Exactly.
I personally would like to damage my perfectly working Gibbs on an experiment but if somebody has already messed theirs up, I would be very happy to experiment.

Top Bottom