What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

Nice design. I might do this at home. I also wonder if this is up to recycle standards. In fact, I don't know the 'proper' way to recycle blades. the blades are steel (iron, carbon, nickel, etc.) and the can is aluminum (aluminum+silicon, some others). I've always wondered what the material tolerances are for recycling. probably the correct way is with a Sharps container??
Does anyone know the 'correct' way to recycle blades? Any way, this should at least make them safe for the trash.

Great idea but can you put with your other recycled cans. I wonder if they would accept it?

Thanks

Nice design. I might do this at home. I also wonder if this is up to recycle standards. In fact, I don't know the 'proper' way to recycle blades. the blades are steel (iron, carbon, nickel, etc.) and the can is aluminum (aluminum+silicon, some others). I've always wondered what the material tolerances are for recycling. probably the correct way is with a Sharps container??
Does anyone know the 'correct' way to recycle blades? Any way, this should at least make them safe for the trash.

When metal goes through the recycling process, it is passed under an electromagnet as a first step after shredding. This pulls out all of the ferrous metals(steel, cast iron, etc.) from the more valuable aluminum, copper, et al.

Inspired by this one I spent yesterday making a VEGETARIAN version out of a Cream of tomato soup can ! :lol:

I may put some leaves of basil in the bottom to improve the scent in there too

I know its probebly late but what I do with my blades to dispose of them safely is get an old pack of derbies, and use the plastic box to put the old blades back into.
I just have the cardbord piece upside down so i can know which one is new blads and which one is old blades.

Make sense?

+Buckler

Regarding the recycling aspect -- it might be better to find a steel can and use that instead of a tin/aluminum can... If your grocery store has an "ethnic foods" section, look for the Jumex juices there, they come in steel cans.

For the people that want to go the sharps container route I'm pretty sure you'll have trouble if you just try to put the sharps container in the recycling. My bet is you'll have to take it to a medical supply store or similar, and may in fact have to pay to get rid of the container.

That and are the objects in sharps containers even recycled?

I think I will do the blade bank out of a can idea and contact the municipality when I have enough blades to get rid of.

If you are going to dress it up so it looks good, its very convenient to use a diet softdrink can as a blade bank. Use a diet drink to avoid bacterial growth in residues and a fizzing one so the liquid is readily propelled out of the slot. When available, fizzing mineral water cans are best for hygienic reasons.

Remove the opener with pliers without opening the can, then punch a slot in the top with a knife, shake once and hold upside down to produce a glass of beverage and an empty can with a slot, which you can dress up to look good according to your tastes.

A tall slender can of some calorie conscious beverage is not too bulky and still holds a respectable number of blades.

I made one for my dad a couple of years back out of a Zippo lighter fluid can, a dremel, and some green spray paint. Like Ray, I suck at lettering so I found some of those brass stick on mailbox letters for his initials and just glued them on the front. It came out decent, and he likes that it fits inside his medicine cabinet. Two years so far and he says it feels like it's about 3/4 full.

Here's the size I used:

proxy.php

I made one for my dad a couple of years back out of a Zippo lighter fluid can, a dremel, and some green spray paint. Like Ray, I suck at lettering so I found some of those brass stick on mailbox letters for his initials and just glued them on the front. It came out decent, and he likes that it fits inside his medicine cabinet. Two years so far and he says it feels like it's about 3/4 full.

Here's the size I used:

proxy.php

That would certainly fit a little nicer in the medicine cabinet....Cool....

Oh and I don't mean that the lettering on your can sucks, it's way better than what I could have accomplished! I wouldn't have even attempted...

I just came up with what I think is a great idea!

Use a shaving cream can! They are steel, so no dissimilar metal problems will cause the recycled products to be discarded! I'm thinking the deal would be to squirt as much as possible out of it before discarding and then break the valve off of the top to let it completely vent (VERY IMPORTANT). After that Dremel a hole in it and voila!

The only two problems I can see are:
It requires suffering through a can of shaving cream
It may not be safe to break the valve off of the can...

Top Bottom