What's new

How to clean a gold Aristocrat?

I've bought a gold Aristocrat and I was reading online that boiling gold razors can ruin the finish.

So what do I do? Do I just boil anyway in other to sterilize, or are there any other options?

Thanks

Scrubbing Bubbles work fine along with an old toothbrush. If it's really cruddy, I'd just go ahead and boil it to loosen the crud, but otherwise the Scrubbing Bubbles are adequate. In my experience, Windex shines them up nice, and Barbicide has no ill effects on the finish if you want to sanitize it. You don't really "sterilize" the razor per se with boiling water. You'd need an autoclave or something for that.

I usually soak a gold razor in hot (not boiling) water for a half hour or so with a little dish soap making sure the water stays hot. This helps to loosen the heavy gunk Then I go to the scubbing bubbles.

I have also used my ultrasonic cleaner but I only cycle it for a couple minutes.

Boiling will melt the lacquer if left to long and I would not recommend it. I mean, why take the chance.

Use a solution of OxyClean in hot tap water. Works well on gold razors, gets all kinds of gunk out of the mechanism. Follow with Scrubbing Bubbles and a light scrubbing with a soft toothbrush.

Enjoy you razor.

-- John Gehman

Don't boil the razor. As mentioned above, it ruins the lacquer finish. There are several posts by people who've done this and regretted it. A search should turn them up.

To clean up my gold Aristocrat (which pretty much looked silverish gray when I bought it):

1. Spray with Scrubbing Bubbles. Let sit a few minutes. No more than 5.

2. Scrub with a soft toothbrush and warm water. Rinse.

3. If it still has old soap scum/hard water deposits, repeat 1 and 2 several times until gone.

4. To remove rust, apply a small amount of WD40 to the rust spot only. Let sit for about 1 minute, rinse off, and repeat steps 1 and 2.

5. You can safely soak it in rubbing alcohol for about 10 minutes. I have not tried Barbicide on the Aristocrat.

Once it's cleaned up, let it dry and you'll be good to go.

Basically, do as little as possible to clean it. Any of the methods described will work just fine. Then pick up a bottle of lacquer polish from your local band instrument dealer. Makes the lacquer look shiny and new.

Top Bottom