What's new

How Old Is Your Merkur 34C HD and Edwin Jagger DE89?

I have both these razors as well a Parker Variant. These are the only razors I'll ever need. Sold and gave away some others that didn't seem to work for me over the years.
Both my 34C and EJ are about a couple of years old. Both still look brand new and perform extremely well. My beard is course but whether I shave daily or shave after 3-4 days of growth, these razors perform fantastic.
Just curious to know how long have you guys had yours. Have you experienced any issues with plating, threads etc? I do know that the EJ can have some issues with the threads after some time and dropping it can be disastrous.
Do share some thoughts.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Enjoy your razors and don’t worry about it. They can outlast you, you’ll buy many cars before you need to replace those razors.

Enjoy your razors and don’t worry about it. They can outlast you, you’ll buy many cars before you need to replace those razors.
Haha that's good to know. I love these razors and buying them from over here in Malaysia can be pretty expensive. Thankfully blades are cheap. Lol.
Cheers mate.

I bought my EJ 89 and my Merkur 34C six years ago and they’ve been in the rotation ever since. They’re fantastic razors! The plating and functionality are as good as the day I bought them.

I bought my EJ 89 and my Merkur 34C six years ago and they’ve been in the rotation ever since. They’re fantastic razors! The plating and functionality are as good as the day I bought them.
Is there anything special you have done in regards to caring for them? I'm very careful to not drop them. I give them a wife after every shave. I also put a drip of mineral oil on the threads every month along with a good clean up.

Mark

Is there anything special you have done in regards to caring for them? I'm very careful to not drop them. I give them a wife after every shave. I also put a drip of mineral oil on the threads every month along with a good clean up.

Mark

I really do not take any special steps with them. I do give the razors a good rinse and wipe them dry after each use. I also try to be diligent in wiping dry the threads on the EJ. Beyond that, I handle them like my other razors. The EJ and Merkur are excellent razors!

My EJ is clocking in at 6 years old. Just for fun I checked my order date and it will be 6 years end of next week actually.

This thing survived multiple tile/sink drops and only visible damage is dent in handle.

I've never put any extra tought into care. No patting dry or oiling the threads. After shave just rinse and a few shakes, occasional toothbrush and tootpaste scrub to remove soap buildup. It shows zero issuies with plating and if I take my time it still shines like new.

I will see how it will hold up in next few years since I asigned it to "shower duty" (chest, stomach, etc). This means I do not take it out of shower cubicle for more than blade change.

My EJ is clocking in at 6 years old. Just for fun I checked my order date and it will be 6 years end of next week actually.

This thing survived multiple tile/sink drops and only visible damage is dent in handle.

I've never put any extra tought into care. No patting dry or oiling the threads. After shave just rinse and a few shakes, occasional toothbrush and tootpaste scrub to remove soap buildup. It shows zero issuies with plating and if I take my time it still shines like new.

I will see how it will hold up in next few years since I asigned it to "shower duty" (chest, stomach, etc). This means I do not take it out of shower cubicle for more than blade change.
Thanks for sharing.

Bought the EJ89 4 years ago as my first DE razor followed by the 34C a year later and still use them every now and then when I need a mild shave on 1 or 2 days of growth

Minus the threads which are done, the rest of my over a decade old EJ89 is basically as good as new. I agree that this razor is all you need but recommend getting it’s brass threaded R89 Mühle counterpart.

Remains a pretty easy 3 pass BBS razor.

Merkur HD bought 2012. One of the great razors out there.

Only issue I can imagine is that the head is zamac and if the plating wears out, it will start to deteriorate. They way you look after it, I would guess that it will likely wear out by the time your great-grandchildren are ready to retire.

If you ever see a black spot where the threaded pin meets the head, put a drop of clear nail polish on it.

Just curious to know how long have you guys had yours. Have you experienced any issues with plating, threads etc?
I've bought two 34Cs: one in 2010 as a birthday present for my Dad; and the other as a birthday present in 2012 for myself.

My 34C arrived from the vendor with spotty plating (pockmarked, but no exposed zamak). It works fine and still gets used every couple weeks as it comes up in the rotation. Maintenance is similar to yours, i.e. rinsed, wiped dry, then a drop of mineral oil on the threads.

It should outlive me, assuming that I don't drop it. (Knock wood)

I've bought two 34Cs: one in 2010 as a birthday present for my Dad; and the other as a birthday present in 2012 for myself.

My 34C arrived from the vendor with spotty plating (pockmarked, but no exposed zamak). It works fine and still gets used every couple weeks as it comes up in the rotation. Maintenance is similar to yours, i.e. rinsed, wiped dry, then a drop of mineral oil on the threads.

It should outlive me, assuming that I don't drop it. (Knock wood)
Thanks for the feedback.

I've had a different experience with the merkur hd. I do like the razor. I've owned 2. On the first one I dropped it and the threaded post snapped. The post looked like it was partially corroded. I bought a second and it now has plating issues on the handle. I use it very occasionally but I know if I use it often it won't last long. I know I could probably send it back but I haven't done that yet as I have several other razors. And to be honest I like it but not enough to go to that trouble.

I take pretty good care of my razors. I don't take them apart after each use (and never will). But I do shake them off, dry them off and hang them up after each use.

This is why I prefer stainless and brass razors. They need no special care and are very unlikely to ever fail. And to me there is no comparison between a razorock $60 all stainless razor and a merkur or Edwin jagger razor that costs $30 to $50. Obviously the stainless is a much better and more durable material. But in my subjective opinion the overall build quality is just much better on the razorock. And for just a little more money.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Mine are new, within the last few months. My first DE was the 38C, then the EJ DE89. Both great razors for my needs. Then I got the 34C and after some getting used to it I think it’s my current favourite. Just a nice nimble well made razor. I like the handle on the 1904 Classic, same head as 34, 38c I’m guessing?

my Merkur 34 C was my first razor i bought in the Spring of 2013 and has been in regular rotation for a solid 6 years. No loss of plating or issues of any kind.

Top Bottom