• Enough for my lifetime.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I have so much I have no idea how much I have

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
When you first start cellaring you think a person buying a pound at a time would have to be crazy. Then you get used to it and don’t bat an eye at buying ten tins or 5 pound bags of your favorite ribbon. Eventually you take a second to survey your collection and realize, you are that crazy person lol.

Seriously tho, I get a lot of satisfaction knowing I have future proofed my hobby.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I should add I have probably made the statement above dozens of times already, but I don’t remember anymore :lol:. I’m getting long in the tooth.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think I have the least amount out of anyone. A few glass jelly jars full. I haven’t opened these since probably….2020. Maybe early 2021. But they are all sealed now. Self sealed I guess. So much so I’ll need a can opener to pop the seal. I can only guess that they are probably better now that they aged??

1455C584-9CEB-477E-ABC8-42D3C2279B9C.jpeg

5252A649-52C9-4F9D-A852-0657EE156C17.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think I have the least amount out of anyone. A few glass jelly jars full. I haven’t opened these since probably….2020. Maybe early 2021. But they are all sealed now. Self sealed I guess. So much so I’ll need a can opener to pop the seal. I can only guess that they are probably better now that they aged??

View attachment 1575759

View attachment 1575760

Yep most pipe tobacco benefits from some age.

While I do feel comfortable having a fair amount of tobacco "bought and paid for and in hand", I have a lot of Virginia starting to age now and someday hope to see what all the shouting is about. However, I am sometimes my own worst enemy and knew I should put some sort of governor on my acquisitions since tastes can change, health can change, etc. I wrangled this old nightstand and cleaned it up nicely and vowed to use it as a "mechanical" limiter to my smoking buys. I'm sure my measly booty pales in comparison to the stash size some of you long timers have put by, but I'm in my comfort parameters so all is well. Anyway, once the nightstand/tobacco cabinet is full, nothing new goes in until something comes out. It's a noble plan, and I hope I can stick to it---at least for a while until I can more accurately gauge my consumption.
IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_0967.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg
IMG_0968.jpg

While I do feel comfortable having a fair amount of tobacco "bought and paid for and in hand", I have a lot of Virginia starting to age now and someday hope to see what all the shouting is about. However, I am sometimes my own worst enemy and knew I should put some sort of governor on my acquisitions since tastes can change, health can change, etc. I wrangled this old nightstand and cleaned it up nicely and vowed to use it as a "mechanical" limiter to my smoking buys. I'm sure my measly booty pales in comparison to the stash size some of you long timers have put by, but I'm in my comfort parameters so all is well. Anyway, once the nightstand/tobacco cabinet is full, nothing new goes in until something comes out. It's a noble plan, and I hope I can stick to it---at least for a while until I can more accurately gauge my consumption.View attachment 1576211View attachment 1576212View attachment 1576213View attachment 1576214
I always thought nightstands came in pairs. You seem one short…

Since I last posted in this thread a year ago in October, despite landing in TAD purgatory, I’ve somehow managed to increase the cellar to a bit over 100 pounds, even while smoking an average of two bowls per day. I suppose I’m lucky I wasn’t actively buying tobacco!

Since I last posted in this thread a year ago in October, despite landing in TAD purgatory, I’ve somehow managed to increase the cellar to a bit over 100 pounds, even while smoking an average of two bowls per day. I suppose I’m lucky I wasn’t actively buying tobacco!
You're doing it right, sir.

When I see Esoterica bags selling for 500-600 $ each in the secondary market, I'm quite glad I bought them at around 30-35. It's kind of crazy.
I haven't seen any sell at those prices. I've seen people asking those prices, the same opportunists who are trying to sell Christmas Cheer and Frog Morton for $150, but I do notice those listings tend to stagnate. Don't get me wrong - I'll be happy if that becomes the norm, because my retirement will be that much more comfortable, but I haven't seen it reach quite that level yet.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I haven't seen any sell at those prices. I've seen people asking those prices, the same opportunists who are trying to sell Christmas Cheer and Frog Morton for $150, but I do notice those listings tend to stagnate. Don't get me wrong - I'll be happy if that becomes the norm, because my retirement will be that much more comfortable, but I haven't seen it reach quite that level yet.
I’ve not seen them that high either. I’ve seen a ton sell in the $200-250 range and a little higher Peacehaven.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’ve not seen them that high either. I’ve seen a ton sell in the $200-250 range and a little higher Peacehaven.

Nice to hear some folks over there are buying at UK prices too :lol:

I know the emphasis in this thread is on poundage, but to me, a pound to tobacco is roughly two years worth of smokes, at an average of a couple of bowls a week. If I was a tin a week kind of guy, the limits of affordability (for me) would have been reached and breached several years ago.

Next year, I think many blends will hit £20/50g over here. That's me out of the cellaring game, permanently. Maybe one or two tins a year as an occasional treat. However, my humble ageing stash will keep my pipes in use for a good while yet.

Not a sob story. I'm quite content with what I have in store. It'll be a good few years before I need to start thinking about rationing... or smoking my Latakia blends :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know if they are selling, but this is what they are asking....

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Don't know if they are selling, but this is what they are asking....

There must be people buying at those prices or they wouldn’t list them. It’s pretty insane. I didn’t realize I could buy a new car by selling my Esoterica.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I just did the math.
At 3.5 grams per bowl, and 5 bowls a day, my 130 lbs gets me to my 73rd birthday in 9 years.
I figured 3.5 as the "Slow Smoke" competitions are generally 3 grams.

Just bumping this, because I've been doing the maths on my own stash, and I calculate my consumption quite differently.

For a 20mm wide x 40mm deep bowl, I typically use 2.5g or flake, or 2g of ribbon. I know this because I bought a load of 5g samples a while back, and the flakes gave me 2 smokes, while ribbon would still have a third small bowl left over. However, 20mm x 40mm is what my larger bowls are. Some of my pipes would take just over half that amount, giving me maybe 4 smokes from 5g of ribbon. The only two larger bowls I have, are the Falcon Hyperbole and Chimney.

So, I probably average out around 2g per bowl, or 25 smokes a tin/pouch, and that's what I take my usage forecasts from. Obviously, we all have different pipes and packing preferences though.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just bumping this, because I've been doing the maths on my own stash, and I calculate my consumption quite differently.

For a 20mm wide x 40mm deep bowl, I typically use 2.5g or flake, or 2g of ribbon. I know this because I bought a load of 5g samples a while back, and the flakes gave me 2 smokes, while ribbon would still have a third small bowl left over. However, 20mm x 40mm is what my larger bowls are. Some of my pipes would take just over half that amount, giving me maybe 4 smokes from 5g of ribbon. The only two larger bowls I have, are the Falcon Hyperbole and Chimney.

So, I probably average out around 2g per bowl, or 25 smokes a tin/pouch, and that's what I take my usage forecasts from. Obviously, we all have different pipes and packing preferences though.
I tend to favor larger bowls (first thing I look at on the specs page!) and I'm a pretty firm packer.
Of course, everyone is going to be a little different, and we all just have to satisfy ourselves that we're where we need to be.
I'm certainly not advocating that anyone go on a massive shopping spree, and I admit I'm one of those guys that when I do something, I tend to go in elbows deep.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I tend to favor larger bowls (first thing I look at on the specs page!) and I'm a pretty firm packer.
Of course, everyone is going to be a little different, and we all just have to satisfy ourselves that we're where we need to be.
I'm certainly not advocating that anyone go on a massive shopping spree, and I admit I'm one of those guys that when I do something, I tend to go in elbows deep.

Yup. With larger bowls, and a firmer pack, your guestimates are definitely going to be more representative of your consumption than mine would be. I just thought I'd throw my thinking out there in case it was relevant, but it's obviously not that helpful in your case. :biggrin1:

We're both doing it very differently, but both doing it right. 🍻

I don't regret jarring my bulk Esoterica but I regret jarring my Esoterica.

I did try protecting a few gold bags when jars were scarce by vac sealing the gold bag in a vac seal bag... I may get to smoking it around 2040.

So many of those are "Special Occasion" or a sometimes smoke that you never realize the moment to smoke it was whenever you want to... That makes it a special occasion. :)

I should trade for some Pembroke. I'm almost out! I can't Hirstute Shuffle without Pembroke!

Top Bottom