What's new

How much time to you spend shaving??

As I am still in my first week of wet shaving, I spend at least a half hour from the time I start creating a lather to when I slap on some aftershave. Because it takes me so long to shave, I have been shaving at night so as not to tie up the bathroom in the morning. So my question to all you experianced shavers is - how long does it take for you to do a normal shave?

I would like to get my shaving time down to under ten minutes so that I can do it in the morning.

......I guess I could always wake up earlier :eek: :eek: :eek:

Get up a bit earlier, shavings a nice thing to wake up to. Takes me about 20 mins usually. I could do it faster, but there's no reason to rush it- just relax and enjoy.

I generally take about a half an hour from when I first get in the bathroom to when I leave. I know I could take a shorter time, but I like the experience and savor every moment. My solution is that I shower at night and wake up 10-15 hours earlier.

I think 10 minutes is really pushing it. Soaking your face many times will take 2-3 minutes alone, whipping up a lather is about 1-1.5 minutes, shaveing, even if going quick is going to be 5-7 minutes, depending on how many passes you make... at this point you're already over 10. Try your best, but remember, there's a reason you're doing things this way. If you want quick and dirty, there's always Barbasol and a M3.

And welcome to B&B! Have fun!

I also agree that 10 minutes is wayyyyy too rushed. Personally, I enjoy the time I spend in the bathroom shaving and "pampering" my face and I generally take 30-40 minutes, not including showering.

If I'm just going for presentable, time with the Merkur Progress and brush is around 15 mins. If I'm going for BBS including the hot towel and pre-cream treatment at the beginning and ice cold towels at the end, 45 mins.

I'd suggest that you consider shaving at night so you have more time to spend on it without being rushed. That might also allow you to practice your technique and the amount of time you spend will go down as you go along.

I’m probably not going to be much help here, but I do my shaving in the shower and I shower at night. For me it takes a good 30-40 minutes. But I shower at night after all the kids have gone to bed so I can spend as much time as I want. But with a full shower and shave I think 30-40 minutes is pretty good. One added benefit of this for me is I get to sleep in a little longer in the mornings.

I'd suggest that you consider shaving at night so you have more time to spend on it without being rushed. That might also allow you to practice your technique and the amount of time you spend will go down as you go along.

I have been shaving at night just so there is no rush and I can take my time. I've even been listening to music and lighting a scented candle during this time. Yes, my fiance has had a field day with this, but I enjoy it and ultimately she enjoys it too.:biggrin:

One thing I might consider is that I have a light beard. Per my studies here at B&B University & experimentation I have determined that I only need two XTG passes & some touch up to get a presentable shave - this saves some time. Last night I did an ATG on my jawline and cheeks only and got a very smooth almost BBS.

You are all correct, 10 minutes is not enough time. I guess I need to decide if I want to do this in the morning, or at night. After another week of honing my skill, I think I will experiment with morning versus evening shaves.

For me it takes roughly 15 minutes, not including shower time, of course I don't do a full shave, just cheeks and neck areas. My time has improved from the origional 20-30 minutes when I first started using a straight razor.

At least half an hour.

I read another one of these threads a while back where numerous people said they were getting great shaves in like 10 minutes. Because of this, I think I subconsciously felt compelled to go quicker. The result was bad. In the past week and a half I've really slowed down and taken time to concentrate on what I'm doing; actually observing the hair as it's removed. Thanks to this, I've had some good shaves.

I think one should take as much time as one needs. If you have to get up a little earlier, so be it. Eventually I'll be able to shave quicker, but for now I have to manage with what I'm comfortable with.

I have been shaving myself with a shavette for nearly 6 months now.

A 'work day' shave takes about 15 mins for 2 passes.

A 'going out' shave takes half an hour for 3 passes and a touch up.

Shaving clients in the shop takes 40 mins from the first hot towel to splashing the AS on.

I had my first 'real' straight shave this morning and that took 30 mins for 2 passes. Man! I like my ears and nose too much to rush that one first time out. :scared:

I DE shave very occasionally and can do a decent 2 passer in about 15-20 mins.

Back in the mach3 days I could shave start to finish in less than 5 minutes and look pretty presentable. I get much cleaner shaves these days.

Cheers

Mat

So my question to all you experianced shavers is - how long does it take for you to do a normal shave?

When I first started with a DE, it took me a good 20 minutes because I was being really cautious.

Now, I've streamlined my technique for the normal, workday shave.

I shave in the morning, before a shower. Two passes are really the minimum for a good result. I do a N-S pass, a S-N pass, and then touch up a couple of trouble spots. This gives me a nicely presentable shave without really going for BBS.

I spend 5 minutes total.

Then I shower. After shower, a quick application of aftershave balm.

Once in awhile, I have the luxury of being able to spend a lot of time before a special occassion. I'll shower first, then spend 25-30 minutes going for the BBS result with the whole pre-shave thing, 3-4 passes, alum block, etc. It's a nice change and I enjoy it.

I'd rate the results of my 5 minute method as a 9.5 out of 10. Spending an extra 20+ minutes does deliver a better shave, but I can't go through that every day without risking irritation.

Wow Bill, no wonder you are called BUZZ.

For me in and out is less than 30 minutes. Usually 20-25 unless I'm really tired that morning. My wife and daughter both sleep late in the morning, so there is no need to rush.

20-30 minutes with a DE (Shower not included)
30-40 minutes with a straight(Shower not included)

Gotta enjoy it, man! Kinda wish I was a little hairier!
Maybe I should start shaving my......:blushing:

About 20 minutes for me not including shower I tend to shave in the morning my wife leaves for work before I even wake up most of the time so I have the place to myself and dont need to worry about any one bothering me during my wake up ritual

Nick

Now- about 25 mins- when I started- well into the 45 min mark - was have way too much fun and trying things out.

Have now Started using a feather A/C and now I am around 25 mins still...:biggrin:

Once you map your face- get your technique down- you will see that your time will shorten and you will look forward to weekends when you can really really take your time and enjoy your shave and the particular scent of the day:thumbup1:

Top Bottom