What's new

How much soap do you use per shave?

Soaps vary in ease of loading and ease of lathering. Just like some DE razors seem to work better with certain blades, it seems that some soaps seem to work better with certain brushes. Since I keep a collection of soaps, I also keep a collection of brushes to insure I have one that works optimally. The problem is that I can't always remember which brush goes with which soap. LOL.

Good story!!

Around here the rationale is, ‘I need to let the brushes dry thoroughly between uses.’

That allows for a larger inventory!! :a29:

[emoji23] My brushes are dry in less than the 24 hours between shaves. My badger rests for 3 days and my boar rests for 4 days. My synth spends most of its time just standing at the ready.

I don’t have room for more inventory. [emoji15]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I shave daily. Some soaps I am forced to use a demitasse spoon to grab some, others in containers I work a brush for 15-60 seconds depending on its ability to load. Most of my brushes are 24-30mm so they will load a lot and do hold a lot of water. His kinda requires more soap. I find I use between 3-6 gr of soap per shave. I do a three pass and a final faster wash with the soap. I also enjoy leaving any extra on the counter to scent the bathroom. My daughter will also use some as a face wash and I just add some to a hand wash to add some moisturizer and scent. It all gets used in some way. For my no longer made soaps I tend to use about 2 grams with minimal left after the shave.

I am a bowl latherer so that may also account for my increased usage

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
[emoji23] My brushes are dry in less than the 24 hours between shaves. My badger rests for 3 days and my boar rests for 4 days. My synth spends most of its time just standing at the ready.

I don’t have room for more inventory. [emoji15]

I have one boar in the bathroom, a synth in a washbag for travel, and an emergency boar in a drawer in case the main one falls apart.

If my boar hasn't dried out by the next shave, it matters not, as I'll be getting wet again anyway :) I'll buy another brush when it's time to replace one of the others.

I just use enough soap to make a thick face lather.
Not planning to calculate the weight of it. No need for me.
One strange thing is that my Proraso Red Soap disappears at a super fast rate. I mean too rapidly. the tub I’ve currently been using: My green tub is lasting so much longer. Surface is pretty flat still. Not sure what that’s about.... maybe more air inside the Red? Green is denser perhaps?

I just use enough soap to make a thick face lather.
Not planning to calculate the weight of it. No need for me.
One strange thing is that my Proraso Red Soap disappears at a super fast rate. I mean too rapidly. the tub I’ve currently been using: My green tub is lasting so much longer. Surface is pretty flat still. Not sure what that’s about.... maybe more air inside the Red? Green is denser perhaps?

Technically, I don't think any of the Proraso soaps in a bowl are truly soaps. They are in that gray area between soaps and creams. The hint is they give a volume in ML. I'm basing this on the description and not personal use.

Technically, I don't think any of the Proraso soaps in a bowl are truly soaps. They are in that gray area between soaps and creams. The hint is they give a volume in ML.
Proraso Sandalwood in the bowl is a soap and I cannot load it as a snurdle like I would a cream such as TfOBS. Hence I load the brush from the bowl; 25 seconds seems to get the correct load time for my daily shave.
Defining soap or cream by volume or mass is immaterial as no density is specified allowing comparisons to be made to how much soap or cream you are using. Creams dry out in the tub so it hard to make comparisons when storage time is unknown. I take about 4.5 months to use a bowl of TfOBS cream on a continuous daily use basis. That is about the same for Proraso Green.

Technically, I don't think any of the Proraso soaps in a bowl are truly soaps. They are in that gray area between soaps and creams. The hint is they give a volume in ML. I'm basing this on the description and not personal use.

The line between creams and soaps has been completely blurred in the past couple of years.

I always though of Proraso as a Croap, but as my tub is now a few year old, it has hardened to the point I would call it a soap.

I purchased a tub of WCS Luxury Shaving Cream (made by Catties Bubbles), but it is harder than some products I have that are called soaps.

I have a couple of soaps from CBL Premium Soaps and they are much softer than the Catties Bubbles cream.

It seems that a lot of the artisan soaps (and creams?) these days fall into the soft soap/croap category.

How does that tell you how much soap got added to the brush as opposed to how much water got added to the soap?

I start with a fairly dry, well shaken out brush. So given my scales tell me 3g, I must load at least 3g accounting for any minimal water going the other way.

I’ll probably finish my Proraso green tub by the end of the week. That’s 147 grams over approximately 100+ days, or just under 1.5 grams per day. Not bad at all in my view.

Cream - 2" or 2.5" dollop, depends how thick it comes out the tube.
Croap - full scoop with a small demitasse spoon.
Soap - 1 min. full load with at least 2 dips of the brush in water when I notice it gets too sticky. I aim for a brush that's loaded with paste at least half way.

I use way less when face lathering for a quick shave, but I really enjoy a full Santa lather beard. Some people do a full 2-pass shave with the lather I take down in a single razor stroke.

Never really cared enough for me to check how much soap I use.
Been using Williams for years and now add a dab of Cremo on the puck. A puck lasts me about five to six months and about the same for a tube of Cremo.
I get them locally for $0.99 a puck and $4.95 a tube for Cremo so I'm not spending a ton of cash on soap.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Due to this thread, I did check just out of curiosity.

3 passes on my face and 2 passes on my head plus touch ups and I’m using 2g per shave.

I load heavy and I’m not stingy with it as I have a lot of soaps. So I have about 5+ years of soaps.

I really couldn't say since I've never tried to find out, but I I'm pretty sure that it's more than most since I usually have enough lather left over to wash my hair throughly.

Top Bottom