What's new

How much soap do you use per shave?

A synthetic brush uses 1/3 to 1/2 the soap of a boar.

That generalization is far too simplistic. The diameter of the knots, the loft of the bristles, the packing density of the bristles, the loading time, and the loading pressure all enter into the equation. I have a 35 year old boar knot with a small diameter and low loft. I also have a Omega professional boar with a huge knot. They load soap and generate lather quite differently. I have a couple of 26mm high density synthetic knots that will hold as much soap as the Omega boar.

RayClem, you feelin' argumentative tonight? Willing to acknowledge a 24mm boar uses more soap per shave than a synthetic of the same size, i.e. 24mm? Or, you just wanna "split hairs?"

LMAO

Check out this thread for lots of information on usage. My Guess... 3017 Most of the guys here use a soap from start to finish and track the weight after every shave to determine average use per shave and how many shaves they get from each soap. This would take all the fun out of it for me but it seems to be right up your alley. Enjoy.

Factors for me would include: brush size, water hardness, physical hardness and latherability of the soap itself, frequency of use/giving the soap time to dry between shaves, lathering time, amount of water, how many passes, etc.

Thanks! You're a Nuavia guy. How many swirls do you use and do you bloom it at all, or even with a few drops of water, before loading? It's not the hardest of soaps after all. And do you face or bowl lather? I prefer a richer face lather to a bigger but potentially less slick bowl.

RayClem, you feelin' argumentative tonight? Willing to acknowledge a 24mm boar uses more soap per shave than a synthetic of the same size, i.e. 24mm? Or, you just wanna "split hairs?"

LMAO

I usually load for 30 seconds, be it boar or badger and i can't tell if it's 1/3 or 1/2, but synthetics definitely consume less soap than boars and badgers.

LMAO

I am not trying to be argumentative. Because I was trained as an engineer, I always consider the details as well as the big picture. Thus, I try to avoid sweeping generalizations.

I could say that sweeping generalizations are always improper, but since that would be a sweeping generalization, so I will avoid doing so.

If you had said that a synthetic brush loaded for a similar time uses less soap than a boar brush of similar know size and loft, then I would agree with you. I understood what you were trying to say. However, without the qualification, inexperienced members of the forum might be misled.

I rotate among about 16 different brushes (badger, boar, horsehair, and synthetic), I also rotate among a wide variety of shaving soaps, from creams and croaps to hard pucks. I try to adjust my loading time so I get approximately the same amount of soap loaded no matter which brush or soap I use. Yesterday, I used my 35+ year old boar brush, which I do not use very often. The brush has a smaller diameter and shorter loft than most of my brushes. I loaded longer than normal and thought I had enough soap. I barely generated enough lather for for a 3-pass shave. With most other brushes, with far less loading time, I usually have enough lather for at least four passes with some left over.

My friend, you might want to calculate water hardness/softness , elevation, atmospheric pressure, and temperature into your calculations, also. :)

I've owned about 15 boars and at least 10 synthetic brushes, and it is my observation, in general, the boars consumed much more soap per shave than the synthetics. If you want to finish a puck, use a boar.

Enjoy your shaves.

So a synthetic will pay for itself in a "couple" of pucks?

Well, we must be careful to avoid generalizations. However, if we take the average hard puck, say, MWF, purchased for an average price, and use an average Tuxedo brush, bought for a fair price online, you can expect... to be tired of MWF before you finish even the first puck, provided you have average water and a medium beard.

Its just shaving, guys. :)

Well, we must be careful to avoid generalizations. However, if we take the average hard puck, say, MWF, purchased for an average price, and use an average Tuxedo brush, bought for a fair price online, you can expect... to be tired of MWF before you finish even the first puck, provided you have average water and a medium beard.

Its just shaving, guys. :)
Haha Thanks for reply I get you point. Just shaving yes. I now have one Badger (China/eBay Finest) and one Boar (Semogue 610) that I have rotated every day since 2012 I think. Trying to rationalize that I might need a synthetic in the "collection".

Haha Thanks for reply I get you point. Just shaving yes. I now have one Badger (China/eBay Finest) and one Boar (Semogue 610) that I have rotated every day since 2012 I think. Trying to rationalize that I might need a synthetic in the "collection".
I think everyone shaver should have a boar, badger, and synthetic, or at least have tried all three for an extended period of time.
  1. You will be more informed.
  2. You can offer better advise when someone states likes and dislikes.
  3. You will have a better understanding of your likes and dislikes.
Based on those three, a horse or s-brush might be worth trying as well, or a different quality of badger.

I think everyone shaver should have a boar, badger, and synthetic, or at least have tried all three for an extended period of time.
  1. You will be more informed.
  2. You can offer better advise when someone states likes and dislikes.
  3. You will have a better understanding of your likes and dislikes.
Based on those three, a horse or s-brush might be worth trying as well, or a different quality of badger.

I have a WCS pure badger, a WCS synth and a huge Omega boar just for this reason.

The only time my synth gets used is when I travel and take my tube of CO Bigelow. That synth and the CO cream is a perfect combination created by the shaving gods. IMO of course. Lol.

My badger and boar get rotated weekly. My badger for my 4 days off of work and my boar for my 3 days of work.

There is a reason for this. My boar makes more lather faster than my badger from the same tub of soap. I need fast shaves and less time in the bathroom on work days then the rest of the week.

3 brushes are a necessity. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. [emoji16]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I don't think most of you gents care on how much soap you use. Honestly I don't think you should either, unless you are on a really tight budget.

Never tried to figure it out but I do think that "blooming" a soap is overrated especially for a softer soap like PAA or Eufros. It's sure to waste soap IMHO. I don't even do it with firmer soaps like Mike's or Caties. I prefer a damp brush that creates a good paste to start face lathering.

I don't think most of you gents care on how much soap you use. Honestly I don't think you should either, unless you are on a really tight budget.

I'm luckily not on a tight budget and generally don't care how much soap I used. The reason I started this thread was to get tips on possibly improving my loading/lathering technique to see if I can (when needed) halve my soap/shave use but get equally good results. Then with my expensive Nuavia, I can shave with it for twice as long and for half the (pretty expensive) cost.

On a side note, I still maintain my system to measure soap/shave is better/as good/far easier than the other ones set out above involving spreadsheets, averaging out multiple soap use and dividing by number of shaves. My way tells me exactly how much soap I pick up on my brush per day.

And a PPS, I successfully loaded 2g yesterday and had an equally good shave. Just worked it a tad more with a tad more water on my face. Progress!! Thanks for all the comments and tips.

Wow, this is just such , how do you say?, such a weird and obsessive subject to even care about......but strangely enough, now you guys got me interested in it. Sheesh now I gotta buy something to use to weigh it. Thanks guys, as if I'm not nitpicking this hobby enough as it is. The wife!, oh, the wife!

I think the only sensible way to say how much soap you use is to use the same puck until you finish it. To weigh a puck after each shave is useless as the soap absorbed water every use. Soap seem to get used more quickly towards the end of their life .

I think the only sensible way to say how much soap you use is to use the same puck until you finish it. To weigh a puck after each shave is useless as the soap absorbed water every use. Soap seem to get used more quickly towards the end of their life .
I weigh my brush immediately before loading and immediately after to calculate the difference (soap added). Simples

3 brushes are a necessity. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. [emoji16]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Good story!!

Around here the rationale is, ‘I need to let the brushes dry thoroughly between uses.’

That allows for a larger inventory!! :a29:

Top Bottom