What's new

How much more crap do I have to buy?

So what is the next step? I am on the west coast. Do I PM Heavydutysg135?

Any shipping recommendations?

The razor actually did shave pretty well but I would never have described it as "smooth."

In the comparison the shavete was MUCH sharper. I could feel a huge difference on my face (and see the difference as well).

So if I have a shave worthy razor then the spyderco UF should be enough?

I am going to be straight razor shaving regardless of how I like it. I generally hate shaving. My face is fairly tender/sensitive but my beard is pretty thick and stiff. I can't abide the wastefulness of cartridge razors (never mind the long term results). Electric razors never shaved me very close (from the tough beard) and in order to get the closest I could I inevitably got razor burn (from my sensitive skin). I always thought that stubble or a beard looked better than razor burn. I actually have a beard now and am using the straight razor to keep the edges tidy. I have found the straight razor (the un-honed, not shave worthy razor, in my unexperienced hands) to give me results that are easily comparable to any of the other options but with out the attendant irritation. I suppose I could go with a double edged razor but I don't like the idea of throwing away the blades when they are dull and I like the absolute control I have with the straight razor.

I will be shaving my whole beard in the next few months (I am applying for a job where facial hair is not allowed by the grooming standards and I will be hovering around flat broke until I get the new job). So I have some time to get things sorted.

I smoke a pipe and am well aware of the attendant "acquisition disorders" that come with similar pursuits. My whole frustration was, and kind of still is, that I never seemed to have what I needed to get started.

Thanks for the help. It is really. . .well. . .helpful!

Cook

I'd try the PM. Assuming he can do it, he'll give you prices and shipping hints. (I've never shipped any razors, myself)

Shipping a razor isn't too tough. Put a rubber band around it to hold it closed in transit and wrap it up tightly with newspaper (or foam/bubble wrap if you want). Then you should be able to drop it in a padded envelope to ship.

If that doesn't seem secure enough to you put it in a small priority mail box and pad it with more newspaper/bubble wrap or some packing peanuts.

Top Bottom