What's new

How much eau de toilette to apply, and where?

Hello all,

I don't typically wear any scent, but recently picked up a nice eau de toilette.

I am curious how much of it I should apply, and to what parts of the body?

many thanks for your input.

One or two sprays to the wrist and/or neck would be a safe way to start. Use that to judge whether you think you should need more or less.

I'm typically a light sprayer as I don't want to overwhelm anyone in the office. I spray the inside of each elbow and if it's a lighter fragrance then I'll add one to my neck.

Start with one spray on the top of the chest/base of throat & one spray on a wrist & gently rub against the other wrist.
Ask someone you trust if they can smell the EDT from about 6 feet away & also see what you think.
Different EDT will project differently & you also need to find out what all the notes are like & how it's projecting after a few hours.
2 sprays is a good safe way to start though.

I usually spray on the chest (1 or 2 sprays on solar plexus) and behind each ear (1 spray each). Nonetheless, the number of spray depend on your fragrance and the results you want to achieve (projection, sillage, longevity). The right dose of perfume is really up to you. It's generally said that fragrance must be sprayed on pulsating point (wrist, chest, neck).

Consider 6 sprays under your clothes for a work day, 6 sprays under clothes plus some on chest or neck if going out. Alternatively, 4 to six sprays, if wearing on exposed skin.

You must have encountered people wearing Brut or Old Spice antiperspirant or Axe/Lynx sprays. For several hours, they all put more scent out than two, three or four sprays of EDT. Why be outdone in the scent output stakes by people wearing cheap stuff, when you have good stuff?
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:
I used to be a NYC guido back in the day, so I used to shower in EDT's, but have since changed my cologne tactics.

Just put one or two sprays on your neck/chest area before you put on your shirt plus one spray on one wrist and rub it against your other wrist to transfer. That's it.

I know guys that still spray themselves twenty times all over their body, clothes, hair, etc. - it's overkill and non gentlemanly.

Last edited:
2 on the neck. Used to to do it o the wrist too but read somewhere there's no point because wrist heats up and the scent goes away faster

I used to be a NYC guido back in the day, so I used to shower in EDT's, but have since changed my cologne tactics.

Just put one or two sprays on your neck/chest area before you put on your shirt plus one spray on one wrist and rub it against your other wrist to transfer. That's it.

I know guys that still spray themselves twenty times all over their body, clothes, hair, etc. - it's overkill and non gentlemanly.

+1 there is nothing worse than having to taste someone else's perfumes. Even if it's a nice fragrance I don't need to smell it 10 feet away.

Excuse me, I've lived in North America (French Canada) for 2 years, I used to think (and been told) that it was appropriate to wear too much perfume because it could offend people around (like in the work place for instance). Isn't that true?

Excuse me, I've lived in North America (French Canada) for 2 years, I used to think (and been told) that it was appropriate to wear too much perfume because it could offend people around (like in the work place for instance). Isn't that true?

I think you meant "not appropriate" and yes, this is true. A lot of work places are going out of their way right now to reduce scents to a minimum due to complaints of headaches, repritory issues, allergies, or just plain dislike of other people's fragrances when they are heavily applied. I think the general rule is to go easy on the scents as they are meant to be pleasant and light rather than a heavy assault on the nose.

I think you meant "not appropriate" and yes, this is true. A lot of work places are going out of their way right now to reduce scents to a minimum due to complaints of headaches, repritory issues, allergies, or just plain dislike of other people's fragrances when they are heavily applied. I think the general rule is to go easy on the scents as they are meant to be pleasant and light rather than a heavy assault on the nose.

Sorry, yes, I meant not appropriate. Thank you for answer!

All edt's vary. If it is a light fragrance like a citrus or aquatic you can get by with an extra spritz, if you are wearing a manly man's fragrance, you better limit it.

Another thing to keep in mind, edt is a broad spectrum. For a fragrance to be classified as an edt it will have anywhere between 5-15% fragrance and/or essential oil. Assuming you have a fragrance that is made in the middle at 10% oil, you may want to use 2-3 sprays, if you have one on the weaker side, you may need more to even smell it from a foot away. All scents are not created equally. First determine the type of scent you have and the longevity, then go from there.

Consider 6 sprays under your clothes for a work day, 6 sprays under clothes plus some on chest or neck if going out. Alternatively, 4 to six sprays, if wearing on exposed skin.

You must have encountered people wearing Brut or Old Spice antiperspirant or Axe/Lynx sprays. For several hours, they all put more scent out than two, three or four sprays of EDT. Why be outdone in the scent output stakes by people wearing cheap stuff, when you have good stuff?

I'd have to disagree with that. Like someone mentioned earlier think less is more.

Start small and add later because there is no way to "take a spray back".

I would recommend starting with 2 sprays on the neck specifically on each pulse point (near/on the lymph nodes). As previously mentioned, the projections and longevity of various fragrances/concentrations will widely vary. 2 sprays may be enough for a more pronounced cologne while lighter ones may need another spray or two (or three, or four). If more is needed, I spray in the crook of above my elbow and/or the back of my neck.

IMO, the key is to not be That Guy that has a scent cloud the size of Antartica and/or scent trail the length of the Amazon.

Yes, that's often true - if you're a man.
Few seem to rail against women for the same "offence", that would be sexist.
Cheers,
Renato

I'd have to disagree with that. Like someone mentioned earlier think less is more.

Yes, if one wants to make the strong statement of "I'm not here", that's the way to go.

Or the corollary "I am here, but please please forgive me if you should happen to notice a hint of my scent, and it has offended you."

I have one female friend who tells me off for only wearing six sprays under clothes - "If you are going to wear a scent - then wear it properly" she often says to me.
Regards,
Renato

Yes, if one wants to make the strong statement of "I'm not here", that's the way to go.

Or the corollary "I am here, but please please forgive me if you should happen to notice a hint of my scent, and it has offended you."

I have one female friend who tells me off for only wearing six sprays under clothes - "If you are going to wear a scent - then wear it properly" she often says to me.
Regards,
Renato

I wish that was the reaction I would get in my work place. For me it would look more like "Hey! Can't you read the sign! No cologne! Do you want me to call HR?!?!?" :a13:

Top Bottom