What's new

How much eau de toilette to apply, and where?

I always cup a few drops of water in my hand, and spray some EdT in that. I spread the diluted EdT on my face and neck.

Probably not the intended way to apply it, but it works for me.

I wish that was the reaction I would get in my work place. For me it would look more like "Hey! Can't you read the sign! No cologne! Do you want me to call HR?!?!?" :a13:

That would be problematic.
Well, Brut and Old Spice antiperspirant is fine.
Apply the antiperspirant several times a day.
If they tell you to stop using it, make sure you do, and don't wash your armpits for a work week until they ask you to use it.
Regards,
Renato

I don't use frags beyond aftershave, but I have an acute sense of smell and hate it when people of either sex overload on cologne / perfume, even if it's one that I like. Less is definitely more.

I don't use frags beyond aftershave, but I have an acute sense of smell and hate it when people of either sex overload on cologne / perfume, even if it's one that I like. Less is definitely more.

For some reason it seems to be mostly the cheap, cloying frags that people like to bathe in. :thumbdown Maybe because people who spend more on frags understand the less more idea? Not sure but only rarely do I get a whiff of an enjoyable perfume or cologne when someone has a huge silage.

Depends on the strength. In the case of powerbombs like Joop!, Creed's Milessime Imperial, JPG Le Mâle or others a spray on the chest is more than enough. You can be more liberal with modern renditions of EdCs, like Dior's Eau Sauvage or Chanel's pour Monsieur.

I favor the latest.

All edt's vary. If it is a light fragrance like a citrus or aquatic you can get by with an extra spritz, if you are wearing a manly man's fragrance, you better limit it.

Another thing to keep in mind, edt is a broad spectrum. For a fragrance to be classified as an edt it will have anywhere between 5-15% fragrance and/or essential oil. Assuming you have a fragrance that is made in the middle at 10% oil, you may want to use 2-3 sprays, if you have one on the weaker side, you may need more to even smell it from a foot away. All scents are not created equally. First determine the type of scent you have and the longevity, then go from there.

What she said ^^^^

There is no correct answer. Concentrations vary even under the EdT umbrella. Projection varies.

For some reason it seems to be mostly the cheap, cloying frags that people like to bathe in. :thumbdown Maybe because people who spend more on frags understand the less more idea? Not sure but only rarely do I get a whiff of an enjoyable perfume or cologne when someone has a huge silage.
This is the same phenomenon I've observed with car stereos and open windows: it's always the worst music that gets played the loudest.

It's not only going to depend on the EdT but also your skin and the time of year.

More often than not, my skin tends to be a little on the dry side, particularly in winter.

If it's summer and warm out - e.g. a time of year my skin tends to be less dry and flushes and sweats a little more - it helps to project the scent and I usually only need 3-4 sprays (depending on the EdT).

If it's winter - e.g. drier skin that soaks up the fragrance oils like a sponge - it often takes 4-5 sprays just to keep the scent even slightly detectable 2-3 feet away from me after the first 20-30 minutes.

So, yeah, like others have said, start with 2 or 3 and slowly work up from there to find an enjoyable comfort level for you and those around you.

Where is easy: On my neck below each ear and just below my chin. How much depends on what it is: When I wear Tabac Original I can be quite liberal with it but with Joop Nightflight or Joop Homme Wild I need to careful to avoid using too much because both are quite strong. Pashana Aftershave which I wear as a cologne isn't particularly strong but lasts a long time so I can splash it all over.

Top Bottom