What's new

How Many Shaves - Feather AC/SS version - Guard

This is a blatant copy of Doc's thread on how many shaves you can get from a straight without honing it. In this case, I am going to use a Feather RG, DX, or SS and a Pro-Guard blade to see how many shaves I can get from it without changing out the blade. Most of the time, I just pop a new blade in if I've used it three or four times.

My reasons are probably shallow - I just want to do this for me.

What got me thinking about it was my experience on a camping trip this weekend. I shaved on the campsite on Saturday with a Japanese style RG and a Super-Pro blade. I did a two pass and had a DFS. Sunday, I was home and shaved with a Pro and an RG folder. Again, two passes and I had an excellent DFS with BBS available if I had gone ATG on my cheeks. Today, I used an SS folder and a Pro-Guard blade - which is a likely blade choice for a new person - at least it seems that way since most resales of them include the razor and a partially used pack of Guard blades.

The Guard is less aggressive but still damn sharp and it gives a good shave. However, Guard blades are expensive... they are essentially the Pro blade with a wire shield on them. If you do Bistro math on them, they end up being about twice the cost of a pack of Pro blades. They probably give a new shaver a little ease of mind - maybe a false sense of ease to at least a little extent since they can still cut you. However, I admit that I used them as my first blades and was relieved to find out I didn't give myself a face peel. Of course, I then found out the other blades were just fine, too.

Because I have purchased several used AC razors (think Gold Dollars only... uh... more expensive and... uh... totally different ) - I have several nearly full packs of Guard blades so I decided to use them and began wondering what the outcome would be.

The shave today was identical to the shaves with the Pro and the Super Pro. I did notice that the blade wasn't as aggressive but it carved off the whiskers just fine. I decided to use it until I didn't like the result. Typical reports of seven shaves with a Pro seem to mean I can get seven shaves out of this. We'll see!

I am pretty particular about the sharpness and I will not push the limits on the blade. If it starts to tug, I will stop the test. I don't want to test the far limits. This test will probably only be valid for me but, like with Doc's thread, it will be a data point.

Things I will use/do each time:

1. AOS Badger Brush
2. Keep brush warm in travel scuttle by Dirty Bird
3. Warm water prep and leave lather on until scuttle gets warmed up
4. Two pass (wtg, xtg except on the neck where I do wtg and then atg)
5. Alcohol splash and then witch hazel
6. ASB will be Lubriderm 3 way
7. Same Pro-Guard blade

Monday Morning Shave

1. Feather SS folder
2. Cheech by Razorock - face lather (I get pretty eclectic about this but will stay with known soaps for the test)
3. Clubman Citrus Musk

Result - very smooth shave (DFS with BBS if I had done atg on my cheeks). I took the blade out and wiped it down before installing it again and letting the razor rest. I typically do that with all my AC blades.

I'm glad that Feather AC RG is being put to good use! I'll be interested in hearing how things go.

Yep... I like the feel of it - I have a wood handle DX and the shaves are just as good with either one. The SS non-folder is the only one that I am a little disappointed in - it shaves well but the handle is so slick that if I get any lather on it I can't use it - have to clean it off else it will turn in my hand. It will be the next candidate for a custom handle.

I originally thought I would make a custom handle for your RG folder but right now, I'm enjoying it and don't want to mess with something that isn't broken. However, I'm kinda obsessive once I get a thought in my head so I'm sure I'll be modifying it (or another one) just for fun.

KAI Mild.

Brand new (PTFE coating makes it look rough)
After 4x shaves
After 6x shaves
After 8x shaves
After 11x shaves

Attachments

• $KAI Titan Mild edge new.jpg
    $KAI Titan Mild edge new.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 307
  • $KAI Titan Mild edge 4x shaves.jpg
    $KAI Titan Mild edge 4x shaves.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 308
  • $KAI Titan Mild edge 6x shaves.jpg
    $KAI Titan Mild edge 6x shaves.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 308
  • $KAI Titan Mild edge 8x shaves.jpg
    $KAI Titan Mild edge 8x shaves.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 310
  • $KAI Titan Mild edge 11x shaves.jpg
    $KAI Titan Mild edge 11x shaves.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 308
Excellent. In thinking it will be more than my test.

I got a Feather recently that was advertised as being used three times and there were three blades missing from the pack. For as expensive as they are when new, I would have thought anyone purchasing one would know a teeny bit about how they work. If the razor truly had only been used three times, maybe the guy cut himself to ribbons and gave up. :sad:

However, and with Seraphim's pictures aside - I was thinking the blade, in real world use, would not last as long between trade-outs as a traditional lasts between honings... I can remember removing a blade once because it was tugging... just can't remember how long I had been using it. ;-}

It probably could have gone on for a couple years... But as always, I had other experiments to try. It is really hard to stick with a single razor/hone job for an extended period of time.

I usually get only 5 shaves form a Feather Professional Super blade with "normal" use - will try stropping one to se if it brings bladed back to shave ready.

Tuesday Morning Shave

1. Feather RG folder
2. Fume Lavender - face lather (I get pretty eclectic about this but will stay with known soaps for the test)
3. Tabac Cologne

Result: DFS with BBS possible if I had done atg on the cheeks. Slight weeper on my adams apple (first time for that spot). Must have been dreaming while shaving. It was sealed by the time the cold water hit it.

Like most, I find the second and third shaves the most comfortable when using Feather blades. So far, it is as expected.

edit: Oh... and the change to the RG folder was my way of not getting bored with this experiment. The RG folder was just as comfortable (to me) as the SS folder. Tight, easy to handle, and a nice shave. The black SS handle is sexier, though. I close the bathroom door when I use it so the wife won't swoon.

Last edited:
Wednesday Morning Shave

1. Feather DX folder
2. Arko stick
3. English Leather Black

Result: DFS with BBS possible if I had done atg on the cheeks. Essentially the same as the last shave although I *think* I am detecting a bit of change in the blade. It is smoother on the third shave (many comment on the 2nd and 3rd being smoother) but it also seemed to drag ever so slightly. I unconsciously pressed slightly harder and only noticed it when I went to my neck... where I promptly scraped a rawish patch... which needed a dab of alum at the end of the shave. The DX folder is heavier than the others and it changed the personality of the shave slightly.

I think I'll get at least two more shaves from it.

Last edited:
Thursday shave (4th shave)

1. Feather RG with custom handle (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=247442&d=1338411490)
2. Klar Kabinett
3. Clubman Special Reserve (which, on me, smells like I think the Veg would smell if the Veg had chosen me instead of peeing on my face)

Result: DFS. I noticed that I was working the shave a lot more - using some normal straight razor moves instead of the light moves used with an Über sharp Feather. I scrubbed a few times on my upper lip but it was still comfortable. With a fresh blade, scrubbing is unneeded and probably unwise. I kept it to two passes. I would need three for a BBS - with touch up.

I'm having a small epiphany... but a six pack should take care of it. ;-} I think I'm going to be able to make this blade work for several more shaves. I'm catching myself doing normal straight moves that I wouldn't think of doing otherwise. As such, this test might not be indicative of what a new user could get from the blade (or maybe I'm just full of it). In any case... and for now... I'm enjoying the results of a damn fine shave while I'm typing this.

I think I'll get at least two more shaves from it. (I know... I said that last time)

Friday shave (5th shave)

1. Feather SS non-folder
2. Cella
3. Clubman Vanilla (which doesn't smell much like vanilla but is nice)

Result: CCS to DFS.

Definitely no longer a sharp Feather blade. Got a couple of tugs on the jaw line (and a weeper for the effort). I was concentrating on the shave and mistakenly did a third pass on my right cheek - if I hadn't, the shave would have been CCS at best. I'm now working a bit harder at getting the shave I want. I suspect one or two more shaves and it will be time to stop. The shave is still good, though, and if I had to, I'm sure I could use it for a while. It's just that the whole point is not to struggle with it.

A full three passes would make a DFS almost for sure.

I think this is the new "I'll tell you something tomorrow" type catchphrase.....

Heh... yep. I kept thinking it would peter out more quickly. Once I noticed it dulling slightly I thought it would go downhill quickly. Didn't do that at all. However, it is showing its age a bit now. This is actually quite pleasing. I could do a normal business trip and only pack one blade. I'm going to Seattle in a week or two... will pack a Super Pro and do the whole week with it.

Saturday shave (6th shave)

1. Feather RG folder
2. Palmolive Stick (tallow)
3. Family Dollar Spice

Result: CCS.

OK. It is now a nice sharp regular straight. ;-}

I did a two pass and several returns for minor touch ups. I had to scrub my neck atg - which is never a problem with a new blade. I just noticed a couple of areas around my lips and corners of my mouth that need touch up so I'll go back and get those. There was significantly more effort to get my lip area cleaned up this time. I would think this is about the time a Feather-only person would ditch the blade and put in a new one and finish the task. However, there might be some mileage for a newbie in continuing and learning how to shave. ;-} Seriously, it was nearly like shaving with a normal straight.

As before, a full three passes would make a DFS.

I really haven't reached the end of the blade life for me. When I started this, I was pretty insistent that I would stop if it started tugging but it hasn't really done that. It still cuts whiskers, it just isn't wicked sharp.

I figure one or two more shaves and it will be done... :001_tongu

Top Bottom