What's new

How many shave brushes do you own?

I got four, two Parker's and two Chinese 20 mm brushes from eBay. All of them silver tip badger. I can't tell any difference from the 10 dollar Chinese brushes off or the 35 dollar parker brushes.

For those of you who have more than two brushes (boar bristles and badger hair), do you really sit there and think about which one in your collection you're gong to use for your next shave? Or, do you just randomly grab whatever's dry?

I can understand the desire to try different scents and consistencies of soap & cream.
I can fathom trying different blades and even razors to see if you can get a better shave beyond just perfecting your technique.

But brushes? I don't get it. Is the experience really that different?

I only have two: Kent BK8 and a small TOBS silvertip brush
But really only use the Kent as the TOBS is my travelling brush.
I'm really a one brush man - I hate thinking in the morning especially having to decide a shaving brush.
The Kent BK8 is my main and only brush - I know its intricacies (sic) and cant be fathomed to adjust to another brush. I dont mind being boring in the brush dept.

Last edited:
For those of you who have more than two brushes (boar bristles and badger hair), do you really sit there and think about which one in your collection you're gong to use for your next shave? Or, do you just randomly grab whatever's dry?

I can understand the desire to try different scents and consistencies of soap & cream.
I can fathom trying different blades and even razors to see if you can get a better shave beyond just perfecting your technique.

But brushes? I don't get it. Is the experience really that different?
Yes- I now have five brushes, and they all behave very differently (Badger, boar, horsehair, vintage boar/horsehair mix, synthetic) and two of them still need breaking in properly.
I have as much fun choosing which brush will be on deck as I do razor, blade and lather and am also enjoying the experience of the less used brushes changing their characteristics as they re broken in.

North of 150. Simpson, M&F, Semogue, Omega, Thaeter, Plisson, Kent, SR, Muehle, Merkur, Rooney, Vulfix, Vie Long, FS, T&H, GFT, DRH, TOBS(re-brands, of course), Shavemac, Acqua Kappa, Coates, Thiers-Issard, RV, Rod Neep, DeRuitem, Bad Runner, TGN, PC Woodworks, Elite Razor, ShaverJoe. The only NF I had I PIF'd to my stepson. Probably other brands I've missed as well. Boars, badger, horse, synthetic and mixed. Badger in pure, grey, black, best, super, silvertip, two-band and three. Bulbs, fans, hybrids and flat tops. LE's (TSN, B&B, Semogue, M&F Chief [still to come]), etc. Antique brushes in ivory and silver. Travel brushes of every design and method. Dozens of restores, from many, many brands and many with no brand. Bought in NYC, London, Paris, Brussels, Rome, Venice, Lisbon, Manchester, Cape Town, Barcelona, Boston, off the net and the b/s/t.

No one thinks I'm obsessed, do they?

p.s. open to suggestions regarding any missing brands, such as Wiborg.

p.p.s. just noticed this post is the Number of the Beast for me. And the beast was badger, for sure.

^This. get yourself one of the new logo'd Wiborgs.
They are very nice.

$IMG_0233.jpg

I count mine as 8 3/4.....

Pure badger from Em's
Pure badger turnback from Em's
Kent BK8
SOC two band in cherry
WD 24 set low
No name West German restore (TGN finest)
Semogue 620

Hess - handle only awaiting restore once I decide on a knot (this counts as 1/2)
no name - handle with a completely shot knot that needs a restore (this is also a 1/2)
clear lucite and aluminum with a nylon knot - I bought it for a re-knot project. This is a 3/4. It is in excellent condition, but the nylon knot is SO uncomfortable to use on my face that I just can't count it as whole brush. The knot is truly awful. I would go back to canned goo if I were forced to use this brush as my only brush.

I have more than a dozen vintage brushes in varying condition that I hope to restore (eventually), and another dozen or so that I either bought new or were vintage with usable knots that I use. As with my razors, I like mixing it up with my brushes.

Yes- I now have five brushes, and they all behave very differently (Badger, boar, horsehair, vintage boar/horsehair mix, synthetic) and two of them still need breaking in properly.
I have as much fun choosing which brush will be on deck as I do razor, blade and lather and am also enjoying the experience of the less used brushes changing their characteristics as they re broken in.

Makes sense. Thanks.

I have a specific rotation that I start with every Sunday (each week it's different).

I can understand the desire to try different scents and consistencies of soap & cream. I can fathom trying different blades and even razors to see if you can get a better shave beyond just perfecting your technique. But brushes? I don't get it. Is the experience really that different?

Oh my yes, very different. Think night & day, hot & cold, apples & bacon, black & white...you get the picture. Seriously, I shave my head a couple of times a week and when I'm doing both my face & head I tend to use larger brushes. But one of the fun things about brushes is that even two brushes from the same manufacturer can have very different characteristics & face feel.

1 -.Omega #80005 Boar brush
1 - Kingsley Badger brush

- Am considering an.Omega #11047 MIXED Badger/Boar Loft - "MIGHTY MIDGET".

Top Bottom